PDA

View Full Version : DSB Breeding tanks

Jongbahng
01/07/2001, 12:51 AM
I am trying to plan a couple small tanks for breeding peppermint shrimp. I was going to lean toward an UGF with crushed coral substrate. I was wondering if a DSB with LR would be sufficient for larval rearing. I plan on adding removing adult as the eggs mature/are droppped. Also removing a majority of the larvae from the rearing/grow out would help with the chances of survival. Any opinions would be appreciated.

eej@mac.com

keith clarke
01/07/2001, 02:52 PM
One of the advantages of a properly established dsb (briefly a mix of fine aragonite sands infused with detritivores) is the reproductive efforts of the sand bed fauna. The larval stages of their offspring might be useful first foods for the shrimp larvae. From a denitrification perspective, dsb and lr will be more effective than ugf and crushed coral.

keith

Jongbahng
01/07/2001, 05:51 PM
I have read whatever I could find about rearing larvae but the vast majority never said what type of system was used. If they did, it was an UGF. I am setting up two small tanks with UGF. I have had not had any live to maturation yet, but I believe that I can do it, as others have. Thanks for the reply.

eej@mac.com

keith clarke
01/08/2001, 11:58 PM
Check the date on your UGF references. They may pre-date the concept of DSBs.

Jongbahng
01/10/2001, 09:18 PM
A couple of them do pre-date the dsb. I was looking at sand mail in one of the fish mags and they were talking about the jaubert method. It was my understanding that this was already outdated in many people opinion. If a DSB works appropriately what is the advantage over a Jaubert style? I dont mean to get away too far from what I was saying though.

eej@mac.com