PDA

View Full Version : Getting ripped off

Jongbahng
01/07/2001, 12:37 AM
I came into contact with a person via this bbs a little while back. We corresponded a few times and arranged a trade. He never sent me anything. I enclosed a couple dollars for return postage on my styro box I wanted back. I never heard from him again and he wont return any emails. I was wondering if thieves like this are common in this hobby. I could not believe that an unscrupulous person would actually steal corals like that... I have never really heard of problems like this, but I would like to hear some stories or solutions. I feel that I cannot do anything because it was a trade. Nontheless I was stolen from.

eej@mac.com

SeaSmoke
01/07/2001, 10:51 PM
Hi,
I think a good place to start here would be to post the scums name and e-mail address so the rest of us don't trade with him.....

Lars E
01/08/2001, 01:32 PM
Jongbahng,

I generally like to give people the benefit of the doubt. We don't actually know that he intentionally ripped you off. Of course that is a possibility, but here are some other possibilities that I can think of:

• Maybe he was called out of town for business or a family emergency?

• Maybe he lost internet access and is unable to read or respond to emails?

• Maybe he had a medical emergency and is in the hospital?

I'm sure there are tons of other resonable situations.

If you have his phone number, give him a call and see what is going on. Since you know his address and full name I'm assuming that a phone number would not be too hard to find.

Either way, let us know!

Lars.

otter
01/09/2001, 12:02 AM
I have been ripped off not once or twice but three times. I suppose that can happen in any ring of people. Unfortunately there are many wonderful reefers out there, but some of us just seem to have bad luck and find the bad ones. It appears you were ripped off by someone buying - I, on the other hand, was the purchaser and have nothing, but a depressed bank acount.

Hopefully that does not discourage anyone. I would just suggest that anyone be very careful and try to get some better info on the other party.