PDA

View Full Version : biocube skimmer

luv2reef
11/09/2007, 01:55 PM
hey guys i just picked up this biocube skimmer from my LFS. Does anyone else have one, i think it works well for the ease of installation, compact design, no modifications necessary and $40 pricetag. But I am new to skimming, seeing as how i nano my life away, i was wondering how high the bubbles should rise in the chamber, overfow into collection cup or to the top/middle. Thanks for the help!!!

luv2reef
11/10/2007, 02:31 PM
bump

luv2reef
11/13/2007, 07:03 PM
come on....nobody has tried this product. From Oceanic, skimmer for 14 gal and 29 gal?

mudskiper
11/13/2007, 07:25 PM
I have one that i have put on my 10gal. and it seems to work good. I turn the air all the way up on mine and that is where i get the best results. A good little skimmer for the price.

atomicpile
11/13/2007, 08:48 PM
I use it in my bc29 as well. Seems to work well, but I also have to turn the air all the way up.

luv2reef
11/14/2007, 05:52 PM
when the air is all the way up doesn't it overflow excess water into the collection chamber? Also how often do you clean out the collcection cup? thanks

mudskiper
11/14/2007, 07:40 PM
I dont have a problem with any excess water flowing into the cup. I clean out the cup once a week when i do a water change wether it need it or not.

InLimbo87
11/14/2007, 07:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11184028#post11184028 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mudskiper
I dont have a problem with any excess water flowing into the cup. I clean out the cup once a week when i do a water change wether it need it or not.

If you only have to clean the cup once a week, the skimmer isn't doing its job IMO.

Personally I'd look into a more efficient skimmer such as the Sapphire Aquatics BC29R or the upcoming Euroreef nano skimmer. Both look to be much more promising/better designed.

gsxunv04
11/14/2007, 08:15 PM
what does "bump" mean

?

kingfisher62
11/14/2007, 08:15 PM
Luv2reef, Do you have a link to show us the skimmer?

InLimbo87
11/14/2007, 08:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11184289#post11184289 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gsxunv04
what does "bump" mean

?

Its written to bring the post into the top of the page so people can see it and answer the question.

luv2reef
11/17/2007, 06:05 PM
http://www.fishsupply.com/soc-sk82053.html
this was all i could really find. I guess my only complaint thus far is that if the water isn't at the proper level you cannot turn up the skimming too high or else it will overflow into the collection cup. But with rubble rock in chamber 2 adding to the filtration process it beats the pad and is more economical than the saphire. just my .02.....

kingfisher62
11/17/2007, 06:46 PM
luv2reef, when you talk about the "pad" do you mean the filter cartridge?
I yanked that a while ago and I just place a small wad of filter floss on the drip tray and toss it every few days. Those pads are way to expensive and become nitrate factories if not changed constantly.

About the skimmer,How much skimmate does it produce daily?

luv2reef
11/17/2007, 07:12 PM
well, thats a tough ?. I've never skimmed before so i don't know how much is a lot and how much is a little. I'm a bit of a freak so I rinse it out every day and by no means is it "full" The problem i am having is, I think i have too much water in my tank b/c if I turn up the air too high the bubbles will overflow into the collection cup causing it to fill up with water and skimmate. So i can't tell exactly how much skimmate it is producing b/c of the overflow problem. On a sidenote, did you pull that blue sponge out from compartment 3 where the return is? I clean it but i still have it and am not sure if it is a good thing or not.

kingfisher62
11/18/2007, 08:13 AM
Yes I still have that sponge.Thanks for reminding me ! I think it is time to clean it. I do notice my nitrates will go up if it gets too dirty but I believe it keeps the pump from getting gunked up also on a few of occasions I have found live fish back there and if it were not for the sponge i never would have found them if they swam into the center chamber where the LR rubble is.(Wow,was that a run on sentence?)

About the skimmer, I do have one on my 55g tank and i try to set it so the bubble just barely reach the bottom of the riser tube. As the proteins/impurities build the foam will rise over the tube. when my skimmer is working properly the skimmate is really dark and smelly and taste awful (just kidding about the taste)

It took a few weeks for my skimmer to break in for me to get used to tweaking it just right!

luv2reef
11/18/2007, 05:07 PM
thanks for the help....and the humor :)
I would like to set it so the bubbles only reach the bottom of the riser tube but it seems as though it wouldn't be making much bubble in the chamber itself. Doesn't bubble production actually dictate skimmer productivity?

kingfisher62
11/18/2007, 05:32 PM
I can only speak for the skimmer I have so I am not sure .
people told me to adjust the bubbles till start seeing them at the base of the riser tube and eventually you will see larger bubbles build and those larger bubbles will overflow out of the tube.

luv2reef
11/24/2007, 05:20 PM
sorry to bump this up but i really need help. Does anyone use this skimmer and how do you keep the overflow from filling up with water. I'm yet to produce some good skimmate without having to dump out a full overflow every couple hours. Or is this thing that bad, i knew i shoulda waited for the saphire!!!!

my2girls
11/24/2007, 06:46 PM
IMO this is a great skimmer for < $50. The airstone works well w/o adding any pump heat to the water.

luv2reef- the only thing you can do is play with the air adjustment. Lower the water/air mixture in the skimmer.

luv2reef
11/25/2007, 10:10 AM
would turning the air down decrease the amount of skimmate made.

luv2reef
11/25/2007, 10:10 AM
would turning the air down decrease the amount of skimmate made.

kingfisher62
11/25/2007, 04:36 PM
yes in quantity but it should be a dryer or more concentrated skimmate.
As said before adjust the air so that the bubble just barely reach the bottom of the riser tube.It might take several ours for the proteins/impurities to build and then the foam will rise over the tube.

My skimmer does not constantly flow over the top . it seems to have cycles usually after feeding it produces more foam sometimes it producec nothing.

crrichey
11/25/2007, 11:09 PM
Will it fit in the second chamber of the Biocube 8? I'm talking everything removed including the top tray, bioballs, and the lower tray.

mokujin22
12/06/2007, 12:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11254525#post11254525 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by crrichey
Will it fit in the second chamber of the Biocube 8? I'm talking everything removed including the top tray, bioballs, and the lower tray.

Bump to that. :)

I am about to setup a 8 gallon as well.