PDA

View Full Version : Blood Red Hawkfish.......

krikor
11/08/2007, 02:38 PM
Hi all, Just wondering if anyone has any insight on the Blood Red Hawkfish.

I Have one and was interested in putting it in my tank (Sitting in tupperware with rock)... But everything i read says that he will eat smaller fish and shrimp... now i have another large predator in there (6" Marine betta) He has been a model citizen and i dont think he would attack much of anything (mabye shrimp). so i have no touble keeping a smallish Allans Damsel...

In the future i want to try to get a cleaner crew for my big fish to keep them parasite free. I know in the wild these animals are "off limits" but id like a pair of cleaner gobies and a pair of cleaner shrimp.

Anyone know if the hawk fish or my betta would pick these guys off?

Thanks!!!

phish guy
11/08/2007, 02:45 PM
i used to have one in with dusters, crabs and snails with no problems. he didnt bother the small clown or damsel either. i have heard of them in reef tanks with no problems. i think the trick is to keep them well fed for the have healthy appetites.
i would personally go for it, i love those little guys.

krikor
11/08/2007, 02:49 PM
He is definitely full of energy and personality in the tub he's in!!!! ha ha.

Just Jim
11/08/2007, 05:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11142961#post11142961 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by krikor
He is definitely full of energy and personality in the tub he's in!!!! ha ha.

I've often thought about getting one, but am nervous of it bothering my shrimp...:(

krikor
11/08/2007, 05:47 PM
I have a feeling like most animals if you keep him fed he wont bother them.... but there will allways be a chance... I only want to get cleaner shrimp and huge agressive fish dont bother them... theres that code and all... i hope that works out for me, ortherwise it would have been an expensive snack for him/my betta.

BryanBusza
11/08/2007, 08:06 PM
I have a flame and cleaner in same tank. They have been getting along fine for awhile but the cleaner stays hidden much of the day in a hard-to-reach spot. Maybe his way of avoiding the hawk.

If the shrimp are larger youll have better luck. Stay away from krill sized shrimp, youll most certainly loose those.

BryanBusza
11/08/2007, 08:10 PM
I have also experienced significant territoriality between hawks and ocellaris. My red hawk would continually "tease" my ocellaris female when they were together in the same tank. You might be careful if you have a severe size differance between clown and hawk.

raider77
11/08/2007, 08:54 PM
My Red Hawk picked off my cleaner shrimp and peppermint shrimp. The peppermint shrimp lasted about 1 hour and the cleaner lasted a couple months. The only shrimp the hawk didn't bother was my coral banded shrimp.

krikor
11/08/2007, 09:54 PM
I plan on getting big cleaner shrimp... and ill try to keep him fed... ha ha

I think ill take the risk!

majorjoey
11/09/2007, 10:55 AM
found a link that might be usefuLL
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/hawkfshcompfaqs.htm

laterrrrrrrrrR

SeaMac2
11/09/2007, 11:29 AM
I had a large (3 inch) cleaner shrimp with my flame hawkfish in a 75g tank for about a year. Then one fateful day...you know the rest. No more cleaner shrimp!

Chris