PDA

View Full Version : DIY HSA/EAP-2 Skimmer

ericsaun
01/06/2001, 12:48 PM
Helllo Everyone! I'm new to the reefkeeping hobby, and have gathered an immense amount of info from this board. I'm still in the planning/acquiring stages of my new reef.

I'm in the process of building a Beckett style skimmer borrowing some ideas from other DIY's out there.

I'm going to separate the downtube from the riser similar to the EAP-2 design. I'd like to eliminate any unnecessary turbulence within the riser. The questions I have are as follows:

I would like to use a 2" X 48" downtube with a MAK-4 or equivalent pump. Is this too much head (4') combined with too large pipe to get good results. Or should I just go with 1" pipe??

What is the best way to introduce the flow of bubbles into the riser (approx 4' as well)?? Should I just use an elbow directed upwards into the riser, or some sort of a reducer (say 3/4" hose barb) fitting directed at such an angle to create a swirling action within the riser??

I would appreciate any ideas/suggestions anyone may have.

I've completed the Beckett valve body so far and it looks great IMO. I used the 3" pipe combined with 1/4" thick acrylic disks suspending the Beckett in between from Ian McDonald's design . I must say Weld-On #40 is some messy stuff to work with, but that is some good stuff.

Thanks again in advance.

Snailman
01/06/2001, 08:27 PM
ericsaun...

[welcome]

have you looked here -> http://www.ozreef.org/diy/index.html

ericsaun
01/06/2001, 10:56 PM
Thanks!!

I think I've looked at about every DIY plan out there. Trying to incorporate the best of each design into my own. I'm not in a great big hurry to get something together right away. I do not have any space constraints to contend with, so I was interested in building something fairly tall to maximize contact time. I just wanted to maximize pipe size to match the pump as closely as possible. Also curious as to which way to introduce flow into the riser. Can anyone fill me in on the way a Bullet introduces flow into the riser. Are there baffles in the sump? I'm also considering introducing flow similar to the Aerofoamer design.

Snailman
01/07/2001, 09:46 AM
I am sorry that I can not help you because I am a huge fan of Counter Current Skimmers for a number of reasons. These things have been talked about before here so you might try a search (at the top of this page) for beckett, HSA...