PDA

View Full Version : Planning a biocube 29 gallon setup

InLimbo87
11/07/2007, 05:37 PM
Well, I'm starting to make plans on where I want to go with my next tank. I know I want to stick with an all-in-one, and think I've decided on the biocube 29g (still toying with the idea of an AP or NC as they're similar in size).

As for the setup, I'm looking at this:

Biocube 29
Sunpod 150w MH
Replace stock pump with MJ900
Add Hydor Korlia 1
BC29R in second chamber (future)
About 30 lbs of live rock.

I'll be transferring my livestock from my NC 12g DX, these include:

1 True Perc
1 Tailspot Blenny
1 Neon Goby
Assorted LPS/softies

I'm thinking about adding one, maybe two more small fish (Another perc and ?), and a lot more corals (probably all still just lps/softies)

Now onto my questions

1. What do you guys think about the setup? Anything you'd change?
2. Do you think I'll have heat issues w/o a chiller?
3. For people with similar setups, how much evaporation do you think will occur on a daily/weekly basis? My fiancee has asthma and too much humidity = bad news.
4. Should I go with the Koralia 2 instead of 1? How huge is the pump?

yellowslayer13
11/07/2007, 09:29 PM
ok i have the bc 29 the evap will be very little i have the viper 150 on it and i dont have heat issues i put two small computer fans on it more for the look of the water shadows DO NOT put the bio balls in fil it with small lr the pump is 256 gph i have all acans so it is good for me

MY fish list is
2 true percs
4 banggi cardinals trying to get them to form a mated pair
1 eye lash blenny

InLimbo87
11/07/2007, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the response!

Do you have a top over the tank at all? If you had to estimate your daily evaporation what would you guess it is (in gallons)?

reefman13
11/07/2007, 09:59 PM
I have a NC12 with a 150W MH Viper light over it and I keep it about 8" off the water, and all I have is the Azoo fan system and it is great. In your case you will be absolutely fine because you will have a lot more water volume to disperse the heat. However, I would still recomend a fan or two. This unit you should add to your list of things to get:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=17884&Nty=1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=All&pc=1&N=0&Ntt=azoo&Np=1

Now, I saw you selected the BC skimmer for your biocube, but I have to let you know, Euro Reef is releasing a new line of nano skimmers that fin into the chambers of these all-in-one tanks. There is a thread here on it:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1209702
Def. something to check out, and with a ESP of $80, you can't beat it.

I would say you could definitely add another perc. Because you have to remember, by doing this upgrade, you are doubling in size. And if you happen to be interested, Rod's Oynx Percs are amazing, and if you got one, it would pair up with the one you have now. That would be cool...

I think the Koriala #1 is fine, and from what I hear, you will really like it. They sound like fantastic power heads.

Evaporation will depend on the temp of the house and tank. I think I top off about 10oz of fresh water w/ 4 fans and the 150W on my NC12. But I am near to positive, that yours will only be around half that.

I would also recomend maybe using a MJ1200 for return instead of the 900. With that size tank, 250gph return is perfect (remember that's IMO).

HTH

reefman13
11/07/2007, 10:01 PM
Forgot to add, that when you transfer everything, make sure that you use some regular mesh to break up some of the light, as it will be a big change for you corals if they are currently under the stock PC's.

InLimbo87
11/07/2007, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the Euro Reef skimmers.. They look to be pretty cool. The only thing I worry about on them is they look a little small for the bigger sized nano-tanks. Can't beat that price, though, thats for sure.

Good to hear that you guys aren't having evaporation problems. That was the one thing I was really worried about with going open top. I think what I'll do is run the tank with the light first and see how the temps are, and add fans if necessary (the sunpod fixture does have fans built in at least to cool down the unit).

I'm worried about heat so I will be sticking with the MJ900 as it uses less than half the wattage of the MJ1200 (8.5w instead of 20w) , and is only 60 gph less.

reefman13
11/07/2007, 11:10 PM
Well, if ya want to get all technical;)....I agree with your ideas. But, keep the Euro-Reef in mind, if it is as good as they say it is, then it will be a skimmer to be reckoned with. They are phenomenal skimmers and personally the only other nano-skimmer that will be able to seriously compete with it, will be the deltec.

I am hoping to get one of the test models so I hopefully we be able to tell everyone what a great skimmer it is;)

InLimbo87
11/07/2007, 11:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11139231#post11139231 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefman13
Well, if ya want to get all technical;)....I agree with your ideas. But, keep the Euro-Reef in mind, if it is as good as they say it is, then it will be a skimmer to be reckoned with. They are phenomenal skimmers and personally the only other nano-skimmer that will be able to seriously compete with it, will be the deltec.

I am hoping to get one of the test models so I hopefully we be able to tell everyone what a great skimmer it is;)

I definitely am going to hold off on a skimmer until the reviews for this one come out (can't go wrong with half the price of my other option). Have you followed the sapphire aquatics' skimmer threads at all? He's actually waiting on the patent on some prop for the skimmer pumps, and the results look amazing. I'll have to see how this all pans out...

Mojo Jojo
11/08/2007, 12:12 AM
Limbo - Solid plans man! Those Koralia pumps are huge IMO. I have a 6HF (return) & a 6025 (extra flow) gives some pretty strong flow.

3fins
11/08/2007, 08:17 AM
Have you considerd the tunze nano skimmer?

InLimbo87
11/08/2007, 08:58 AM
Its on my list of possible options, what does it take to fit it in the chamber? Isn't it a pretty tight squeeze?

reefman13
11/08/2007, 10:18 AM
Yeah, from what I have heard it is a pretty tight squeeze and it is annoying, because you have to keep the water level in the back chambers at the right height or it won't operate properly.

InLimbo87
11/08/2007, 10:43 AM
See, if thats the case I'd rather spend the extra 30 bucks on a better design (IMO the recirculating BC29R is superior) that fits properly.

reefman13
11/08/2007, 11:19 AM
Oh, it's recirculating??? That's why ER is coming out with a nano-skimmer;)

InLimbo87
11/08/2007, 11:52 AM
Check this thread out for more info on the skimmer, its looks very promising (especially with the new prop he's patenting)

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=120336&st=80

3fins
11/08/2007, 06:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11141175#post11141175 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefman13
Yeah, from what I have heard it is a pretty tight squeeze and it is annoying, because you have to keep the water level in the back chambers at the right height or it won't operate properly.

I have this skimmer and I don’t have either one of those problems. Imo, the only thing that kinda sucks is sanding down that lil ledge about a half an inch or so.:mad2: And that only takes about 5 min….

About the water level…. All skimmers have to have a certain level to operate properly. Right?
:rollface:

-James:D

InLimbo87
11/08/2007, 06:43 PM
What kind of skimmate production are you seeing James? What's your bioload like?

Trying to evaluate all my options, and any help would be great (for me and any lurkers ;))

3fins
11/08/2007, 07:25 PM
I get about a pickle jair of black/brown smelly stuff every 2-3 days. =P

Bio load:
Mated pair of clarkii clowns,Lawn Mower blenny ,Pencil urchin, Brittle star,
Various zoas, trupet coral, 2 fether dusters, Green Encrusting Gorgonian, mushrooms. And and a sand sifting cubumber"sp"? but load of snails...scarlet reed hermits..along with the dwarf whites and blue leged. OOOOOOO..i forgot my mythrix crab.

I also have a 150 MH (sunpod) and a maxi jet with a hydro flow,
Im just trying to help you out just like reefman. Sorry if i came about rude, i didnt intend to be. Hope this helps...
-James.

InLimbo87
11/08/2007, 07:31 PM
Oh you didn't come off rude at all, thanks a lot for your input. Its nice hearing people's experiences' when making setup decisions.

Are you running the tank completely open top then? How much would you say you top off on a daily basis? What kind of temps does your tank run at?

Do you have a tank thread or pics? I'd like to see it, sounds like a cool setup :D

3fins
11/08/2007, 08:03 PM
OK good, i was feeling bad =).
But, yes its open top and the highest ive seen is 83.2 and the lowest was 71.1..but it stays around 76-80s . I top off around 2 cups of water a day.
Ill see what i can do about pics. Its kinda new so its not FULL of cool stuff yet. But Im getten there =D

InLimbo87
11/08/2007, 08:10 PM
Wow thats quite the difference.. Did your AC get stuck on to bring it down to 71.1 ? :lol:

3fins
11/08/2007, 08:32 PM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/142990IMG_0593__Custom_.jpg [/URL]

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/142990IMG_0612__Custom_.jpg

Here im getting more of them...these are just some quick point and shoots =)

InLimbo87
11/08/2007, 08:34 PM
Looks nice! Really like the aquascaping

3fins
11/08/2007, 08:36 PM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/142990IMG_0608__Custom_.jpg (http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/142990IMG_0608__Custom_.jpg )

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/142990IMG_0603__Custom_.jpg

There is a pick of the filter sock i use, as well as the skimmer...i had only a few min to take these as the time for sunset was running into dark settings...man thats sick that i do that for my fish..morning..day..sunset..and night. some spoiled fish i have =D

3fins
11/08/2007, 08:37 PM
No, that was during the night..i forgot to close the windows and the fan was on. "and it was winter"

3fins
11/08/2007, 08:38 PM
Thanks, i love this hobby. Im my wallet is just blown out ... i have to wait for Christmas to roll around till i get more corals and fish. 7 weeks and counting =P

3fins
11/08/2007, 08:40 PM
Do you have your tank yet?

InLimbo87
11/08/2007, 08:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11145078#post11145078 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 3fins
No, that was during the night..i forgot to close the windows and the fan was on. "and it was winter"

LOL i know that "winter" too well. I actually don't have the tank yet, but should be able to be ordering it soon.

3fins
11/08/2007, 08:50 PM
Well, im going go feed my star fish.
I cant wait to see your tank. BTW, i was looking at your home thread with the nano cube 12 build that looks realy good. Glad i could help. good Night
-James

InLimbo87
11/08/2007, 09:07 PM

I'm so excited to start this tank, I'll make sure to chronicle it on here. Thanks for all your help and experience.

InLimbo87
11/09/2007, 09:08 PM
Bump! Any other BC 29 owners with inputs/experiences?

3fins
11/09/2007, 09:43 PM
I can help you with mods......

InLimbo87
11/09/2007, 09:45 PM
What mods are you talking about? One thing I was curious on is how you had to mod the rear chamber to get the tunze skimmer in.

3fins
11/09/2007, 10:09 PM
Ok heres is what i did ,

Tunze nano DOC skimmer mod:
~On the first chamber, there is the mod to were you remove the bottom part of the chamber to fit a heater in. Some one can chime in to help you with that (as i did not do that)

~I removed the sponge and the filter it came with ( I think its crap) but if you keep the frame and cut the filter out, as well as the carbon, you can make a mini DIY filter. Also, if you want a fudge just scrape the paint of the back off the back. and add a light.

~When you get your tank...( this is if you get the tunze skimmer) i found that the water line is just before the maximum line is the best place for the skimmer. But if you do get that new skimmer please tell me how well it works.

I bet most of this stuff you probley have already known but, just incase =P.
I can try to get a picture of the mod if you would like that.
-James