PDA

View Full Version : Dear Anthony, your advise please...

puma
10/30/2002, 03:45 PM
I have a little problem when a cut Ricordea sp and all these hairy mushrooms, all of my cuts just die, these horrible brown jelly apear at the next day of the cut. Discosomas and leather have no problems, zoantids either.

I just wondering if my enormous A fenestrafer release some toxic stuff to the water(some times he release a kind of brown filaments) and these jelly is substrate for bacteria.:(

What shloud i do? my friend.

:D By the way, how was Mazatlan?
I send you some pictures of my small system, i have finally a digicam:D

Best wishes
JoaquĆ*n

Anthony Calfo
11/01/2002, 12:24 AM
JoaquĆ*n,

It is very good to hear from you, my friend.

The symptoms that you are seeing with your corallimorph cannot be directly attributed to allelopathy in my opinion. In deed, coral aggression is always an issue, but the sudden onset of a brown jelly infection is far more indicative of excessive mucus, inadequate water flow and/or higher dissolved organics in the water (water quality). The other coral species are simply more tolerant in this case.

I would suggest trying great er water flow and adding small daily doses of iodine to spike redox if not proffer some antiseptic qualities (possibly). Try single radial cuts too from the mouth outward. Just one at a time to induce a fissionary split for the polyp on its own in just a couple weeks.

As far as Mazatlan, I am very dissappointed to say that we did not make it to Mexico! I was looking forward to it very much.

Bob Fenner and I had sent repeated messages asking for information about the event and our arrangements. The only reply we ever recieved was the same message over again about requests for our lecture paper (length, spacing, type, etc). We even enlisted the help of two different translaters to send messages in fluent Spanish on two occasions asking for contact info.

Alas, there must have been a communication or organizational problem on their end becuase we were not called until 2 days before the event! They wanted us to come down still but we had no travel tickets, contact or itinerary to follow. They simply weren't organized or prepared to bring in speakers it seems.

What a dissappointment... I have heard such wonderful things and I have never had the pleasure of visiting Mexico yet or sharing meals with new Mexican friends :)

No worries... one day it will be so.

Best regards,

Anthony

puma
11/01/2002, 12:27 PM
Anthony, im want to say thank you, i suspect about the water quality, im just made a water change (10%)with disstiled water and every thing its on the road again:D

Im also going to add a power head in each tank:rolleyes:
and adding the iodide every day.

Yes its a shame, many places to visit, not so much organization, i have the same problem in many ocassions, it does not make any sense only two days for preparation, any way, if you come for pleasure to my country, you have a place to stay:cool: mi casa es su casa ok?:smokin:

Thaks a lot again:D

Anthony Calfo
11/01/2002, 01:49 PM
Anthony, im want to say thank you, i suspect about the water quality, im just made a water change (10%)with disstiled water and every thing its on the road again . Im also going to add a power head in each tank and adding the iodide every day.

Excellent to hear my friend. Please do let me know if this doesn't help. Of course, always feel welcome to call for a shared opinion. It is my great pleasure :)

if you come for pleasure to my country, you have a place to stay mi casa es su casa ok?

I thank you very kindly! And I will look forward to visiting Mexico very soon :) Best regards, Anthony>