PDA

View Full Version : all-in-one vs SUMP

saltysteven
11/04/2007, 05:41 PM
I just put together a 20x20x20 cube and im wondering if i should attach a all-in-one back onto the cube or attach a built in overflow but on the outside so it doesnt take up take space.
Which idea is better? cost is also a issue - space really isnt
i thought a sump since id have more water but the all-in-one would mean no piping, so again which do you think?

ckprax
11/04/2007, 06:29 PM
I would go with the sump since space is not an issue. I wish that my nanocube had a sump so that I would be able to run a bigger variety of equipment b/c most will not fit into the back chambers. Plus you can add a large fuge, a big skimmer and have a larger water volume, plus plumbing is easy. Keep us updated

saltysteven
11/04/2007, 07:39 PM
thats what i was thinking too. the all-in-ones just look eally cool but i guess your right

danoreef
11/04/2007, 07:45 PM
sump all the way! I have a 24 gallon AP and I ripped out the back false wall, added an overflow and have a sump with a built in refugium, no regrets and extra space in the display

Dr. Beer
11/04/2007, 07:50 PM
I just put up a thread about how I wanna make something very similiar to what you did.

Cost is an issue for me too, as well as mobility. Nanos are so much easier to move with if you gotta, and I live in an apt., so that makes it even more important. 220g setups are not pratical in an apt!! :D

I'd do it with a sump man. Water stability is key in a nano, and a sump really, REALLY helps with this. In addition, when you have to put in additives, it really helps there too. It allows the additive to slow diffuse into the tank, rather than just dumping it directly in and maybe having it cause some damage.

PVC piping is pretty easy and cheap, so I think that is the best way to go. The pump would be the worst and most expensive part about the plumbing, but you can get a decent one that can push good GPH with 2'-4' of head for under $100.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11116289#post11116289 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by saltysteven
I just put together a 20x20x20 cube and im wondering if i should attach a all-in-one back onto the cube or attach a built in overflow but on the outside so it doesnt take up take space.
Which idea is better? cost is also a issue - space really isnt
i thought a sump since id have more water but the all-in-one would mean no piping, so again which do you think?

Dr. Beer
11/04/2007, 07:51 PM
Oh, would you mind taking a look at my ideas and giving me your opinions since you've already done something like this? Thanks!

clicky (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1243594)

mokeyz
11/04/2007, 07:57 PM
I have a CADlights 34g that I had them modify - there is no in tank sump, just a center overflow running to a 20g long sump/refugium. The tank was drilled by CADs on the bottom center.

Go for the sump and make it as large as you can afford which is not expensive as all you need is a glass tank or even a big plastic container if you don't care about seeing stuff through glass.

Marlene

rlabriola
11/05/2007, 03:24 AM
SUMP...a clean display tank requires you to hide everything in the sump