PDA

View Full Version : meeting?

Turbo5oh
11/04/2007, 01:11 AM
just checking if theres something in the works or not. if not we should set something up.

im in the processing of finalizing our new house and we should be in it by nov 15 so if we wanna meet up in fargo area we can use our house if u dont mind a mid-move messy house

also some more good news the house has a 200-300 gal acrylic tank that has sat drying up and in some dire need of some care, that is included in the sale

the house is actualy in hickson, nd which is about 15-20 min drive south of fargo

moonyguy
11/04/2007, 02:34 AM
Congratulations on the house. Yes we were supposed to have a meeting in Fargo in Oct. but that somehow didnt work out. I wouldnt mind driving down if its going to be in the next week or two...after that I get shipped out to Hawaii for 3 weeks for "work"
Vishnu

icereefer
11/04/2007, 12:32 PM
Ah I really feel sorry for you Vishnu, what a bummer you having to go to Hawaii...LOL. Stinker!!
and congates Turbo on the new home.
will have to get that tank up and going for you..... ;)

tarax
11/04/2007, 01:33 PM
I'm available for the weekend of the 17th.. Have a wedding next weekend however.. Would love to help you scrub out that new tank.. :) I might even bring a present :)

You might even be able to talk me into helping lift some boxes..

moonyguy
11/04/2007, 10:17 PM
17th sounds like a good weekend. Jim how is your work load looks for that weekend? If you are going we can carpool and share the gas.
Vishnu

icereefer
11/04/2007, 10:37 PM
You Know I be there. :)

moonyguy
11/04/2007, 10:43 PM
He he. Just trying to be polite and ask.... ;) By the way thanks a lot for the wonderful frags. I owe you more than a few favors for all the help!

icereefer
11/04/2007, 10:44 PM
Yeah Like go to our forum and post you poop!....LOL.

tarax
11/04/2007, 11:08 PM
BTW pictures will be expected from that "work" trip to Hawaii..
work - yeah right.. :)

strangerdejavu
11/04/2007, 11:18 PM
<------ Can this kid get in on the carpool? I'd even be happy to drive - my honda gets great gas mileage :)

moonyguy
11/05/2007, 12:02 AM
Sounds good. Now we will have to see who can host the meeting and who can coordinate the tank tours. I would like to see that SPS tank you guys keep talking about down in Fargo...

icereefer
11/05/2007, 12:05 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11118451#post11118451 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by strangerdejavu
<------ Can this kid get in on the carpool? I'd even be happy to drive - my honda gets great gas mileage :)
sounds good strangerdejavu, it will be nice to put a face on one of our top posters.

Turbo5oh
11/05/2007, 12:32 AM
theres an sps tank in fargo?

our house is open if u guys would like, unless something crazy happens and the deal falls through

its a little out of town to if thats a problem

tarax
11/05/2007, 08:45 AM
I don't think its a problem for those of us in fargo.. And if the guys from GF are traveling all this way whats a couple more miles.

michaeltwana
11/06/2007, 01:51 PM
what time

moonyguy
11/06/2007, 01:56 PM
Mike if you can schedule the tank tour at say 3 pm that would be good. We can say drive down at 11 and have lunch somewhere and meet at Turbo's place south of Fargo for the meeting at 1:30 pm . Once we are done we can all come up to Fargo and then do the tour for an hour or two and start back at 5 pm so we can get back before it gets too dark. let me know if thats a good idea..everyone can jump in and suggest if they have alternative ideas.

strangerdejavu
11/06/2007, 06:11 PM
My vote is on Olive Garden or Famous Daves!

Maybe I missed the boat... but what's this with tank tours?

tarax
11/06/2007, 06:49 PM
Olive Garden pfft.. You need to go to Johnny Corinos..

moonyguy
11/06/2007, 06:50 PM
Tank tours are done where we go to some local reefers house and see their tanks and learn about their methods.

Mattewell
11/06/2007, 07:17 PM
Wow, I guess I've been so busy I didnt even notice this post. Count me in for the meeting. Let me know what times and where and I'll be there.

strangerdejavu
11/06/2007, 08:21 PM
Johnny Corinos? Haven't heard of it, but I'm game!

michaeltwana
11/06/2007, 09:27 PM
Those places are about as Italian as Taco Bell is mexican. Anyway I have to check my schedule. My family is in charge of a local of Out the of Darkness/AFSP and we have a big get together for those who have lost loved ones to suicide on that day. I can try to set up the tour but it might be tough if I am not around. There are some really cool setups that are kinda in our little buying group that I would like to show everyone. Some of them are truely amazing.

Anyway I will check and get back to everyone ASAP.

thanks

michael

tarax
11/06/2007, 10:13 PM
Yeah I know, but I'm not stationed in Europe anymore and I can't walk across the street to grab a meal.. Much less this is North Dakota so what am I supposed to do? Fly to Italy? :)

Turbo5oh
11/06/2007, 11:21 PM
hey guys we are running into some bank issues right now. so maybe we should have a back up plan just incase the closing gets even more delayed

tarax
11/09/2007, 10:20 PM
We can meet at my place BUT ITS SMALL.. I only have one couch and a recliner.. But people are welcome if we need a backup place.

I don't have anything fancy but I think its cool.

Mattewell
11/09/2007, 10:48 PM
So are we doing a meeting this weekend? What day, time, and place have we decided?

tarax
11/09/2007, 10:56 PM
Well I had thought the concensus was for the 17th but not everyone has spoken up..

icereefer
11/09/2007, 10:57 PM
well I'll be there when ever. I need to hear from Jason and vishnu what they deside and what you all Down in Fargo deside.

tarax
11/09/2007, 11:03 PM
Well I pretty much just got back in town after a long week and next week is gonna be hectic as I have to be out of town at a minimum mon - wed. But last post from Turbo had been his house might be in limbo.. So thats why I offered.

I know its Fargo's turn to host and had thought other plans had been made at the last meeting that don't seem to have come to happen.

I don't know really any of the other local people other than those I've met in the club..

I personally would like to see othe tanks and methods in the area but my only exposure like I said has been through the club or here.

strangerdejavu
11/10/2007, 12:29 AM
Mark - if it's at your place, I can bring a couple of foldable camp chairs :)

Jim - I can schedule a trip down to fargo in anytime the weekend of the 17th, and like I said, I'm happy to drive too. So if you're flexible, and I'm flexible, it comes down to whether or not Vishnu still wants to carpool or not. Just gotta know where we're meeting and when!

icereefer
11/10/2007, 09:10 AM
If were going to shoot for the 17th does anyone need frags? I can frag some of my corals.
let me Know I'll put photo's over on my forum of what I can frag and what I have.

moonyguy
11/10/2007, 12:04 PM
I think I should be able to join you on the 17th. But another friend of mine Shawn is also planning to come. I will ask him if he wants to car pool with us or drive with his car....his gives about 47 mpg so its cheaper on the gas...in anycase we can meet at my place....since its in the middle...before we can head down to Fargo.

Mattewell
11/10/2007, 06:18 PM
The 17th sounds fine with me. Jim, I'll take some frags! : ) I'm looking forward to a post of pictures and prices!:D

I have four empty styrofoam containers if anybody wants them, I'll be giving them away at the next meeting.

tarax
11/10/2007, 07:12 PM
Ok so we'll assume that we're starting it here or at Turbo's?

If we have it here I'll do my planning online.. So do any of you other guys want to offer up your tanks for perusal?? Brady? Mike? I and others would really like to learn about your skimmerless by design tanks. Or do you know anyone that would like to show off their tanks?

Ideas for the meeting would also be great. Like I said I'll be out of town at least mon thru wednesday but can hopefully do some planning by phone.

strangerdejavu - I'll let you know about those chairs. I'll see if I can borrow some locally.. If I can't I'll take you up on your offer but I'll let you know.

I can grill burgers but can someone bring like chips and pop or something for eats..

tarax
11/11/2007, 04:57 PM
Well I've found 4 or 5 chairs that I can use.. But Turbo where do you sit with the new place??

Turbo5oh
11/11/2007, 06:28 PM
well it failed FHA visual inspection so now we will have to get a structural engineer to ok the building which is another $500

all this because of a slight bow in the floor

i have no idea on when or if we are gettign the house, but im pretty sure it will not be soon enough to make the meeting

sorry guys, but i can still come if we find a diff location

tarax
11/11/2007, 08:26 PM
Ok so I guess its here and if you clear the house we can come over and see how large a 300 gallon is... :)

Anyone still want to offer their tanks for a visit???

michaeltwana
11/12/2007, 07:49 AM
I don't think I can make it sorry. If we pushed the time forward or back maybe. Sorry everyone.

moonyguy
11/12/2007, 12:47 PM
Mike can you arrange for that SPS tank tour? Sorry to hear that you cant make it.
Vishnu

michaeltwana
11/12/2007, 01:57 PM
Not sure. the main tanks I know would be tough since they are limited on time over the weekend. What time is the meeting happening again.

moonyguy
11/12/2007, 02:51 PM
We are thinking between 1-4 pm or so.
Vishnu

michaeltwana
11/12/2007, 04:08 PM
I might be able to set up a tour for that time. Let me see whats up with these guys.

Mattewell
11/13/2007, 07:13 PM
Ok, so the meeting is at Marks at 1-4pm on the 17th? Is that what is decided?

What sps tanks are we touring? I am assuming its someone who doesn't post here?

Jim, what are you planning on fragging?

michaeltwana
11/13/2007, 08:15 PM
That time is not going to work for the tank tour sorry guys. I tried.

moonyguy
11/13/2007, 08:46 PM
What time works? We can work around it. Driving down all the way to see nothing is kind of demoralizing...ofcourse its nice to socialize and stuff but some nice tanks are always an added bonus.

icereefer
11/13/2007, 09:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11177259#post11177259 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by moonyguy
What time works? We can work around it. Driving down all the way to see nothing is kind of demoralizing...ofcourse its nice to socialize and stuff but some nice tanks are always an added bonus.
I would have to agree.

strangerdejavu
11/13/2007, 11:09 PM
I know it's Fargo's turn to host a meeting... but would it be more successful to do it in GF instead?

icereefer
11/13/2007, 11:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11176534#post11176534 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mattewell
Ok, so the meeting is at Marks at 1-4pm on the 17th? Is that what is decided?

What sps tanks are we touring? I am assuming its someone who doesn't post here?

Jim, what are you planning on fragging?
you Know what I have Mike let me Know what your looking for and I'll tell you if it's ready to frag....right now I have a piece of my Blue stag, my multi colored acro, I can frag my purple styro, Larry jackson acro, I have some of my Violet paly's, green, fiji stag, I have my rhodactis colony, I have watermelon shrooms, colony of plan Paly's, I'll be fragging my red and green with purple rim Caps soon.
I'll try and get up pic's on my forum soon, just been so dang busy.

michaeltwana
11/14/2007, 11:03 AM
can we do it any earlier. the main dude who has a killer 12 year old--give or take--tank that is amazing can meet maybe earlier. he is just a busy guy. i told him about it and he said make sure they bring bags for frags. so that also plays into it. if you guys want some of his stuff, we would have to meet early than leave from his spot home. its just hard cause his tank is at his work and his work closes at one, and I don't like tellin people to stay there till we get there.

hope this makes sense....

and when he says frags, he means colonies more or less. not just one inch crap pieces

strangerdejavu
11/14/2007, 02:03 PM
I'm free any time if the rest of you GFers want to head down early.

moonyguy
11/14/2007, 02:19 PM
I don't mind going down earlier.

Mattewell
11/14/2007, 07:22 PM
earlier will work for me.

icereefer
11/14/2007, 07:54 PM
works for Me.

michaeltwana
11/14/2007, 08:01 PM
okay here is what I am working on....

12noon: meet at my house or at a central location like downtown fargo maybe or moorhead. we will go see a 150 reef tank, the one i mentioned before--it is a biological tank (no mechanical just powerheads and lights) that has been running for 10-12 years. it is a mix of sps, lps, softy, and a few fish. it is amazin and looking very good right now.

from 1pm-2pm we will head to north fargo to see a 180 coral tank and three others a couple blocks away. the three others are a 55, a 58, and a 125. I am not sure of the quality of these. i have seen the 55, 58, and 125 a year ago and they were nice, but not sure of the 180 or the condition of any of them lately.

there are a bunch more that we could see. but we will spread them out over the year.

again steve, with the really mature tank, has tons of stuff to give away and is very very generous. i was thinking of buying him a nice sps for his tank because he is the king of giving stuff away. but i am not sure if it would make it holding it my tank for a day. anyway. if you guys want some frags or colonies bring bags and a plan to get them home.

ideas?????

icereefer
11/14/2007, 08:06 PM
wish I new what he had I could bring some sps's he does not have. I don't mind sharing either. I have a soft side cooler and can get bags with No problem.

strangerdejavu
11/14/2007, 08:19 PM
I might have an idea for keeping them for the afternoon. I have a 500w power supply that can hook up to a car battery (which I have a spare of). If someone has a spare heater, we could throw it in my cooler with some water, and then just put the bagged frags in the cooler. That way they'd stay at a good temperature for hours.

Now, I haven't dealt with frags before, so I don't know if that's enough to satisfy them. The power supply could probably also support a small powerhead for a few hours too.

Let me know if this would work, and I'll bring the stuff along (someone would have to bring a heater, all mine are being used!)

michaeltwana
11/14/2007, 08:22 PM
hey he would not care anything anybody can give he will take...even fish just let me know what you are trying to dump so i can clear it with him. he has so many populations of crazy stuff that is like 8-12 years old i don't know if even he knows what it is anymore. i know he has porites, porcilapora, acro of all kinds, monti that is amazing, i don't know what else. but its alot. he has tons of soft, lps, it is packed full of stuff. left to right top to bottom. anything you might want, he might have.

i am just worried about any corals making it home okay for the GF guys. he is really touchy about his stuff. he loves to give, but he hates it when they die.

but anything stony of a bigger size would be cool.

icereefer
11/14/2007, 10:14 PM
I've shipped stonies to the east and west coast, I think I could get them back to grand forks ok...LOL.

icereefer
11/14/2007, 10:17 PM
does this guy have a web site of his tank or hosts them on any forum? I would hate to bring something he already has, plus right now I pretty much have frags I'm trying to build up my colonies.

icereefer
11/14/2007, 10:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11184317#post11184317 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by strangerdejavu
I might have an idea for keeping them for the afternoon. I have a 500w power supply that can hook up to a car battery (which I have a spare of). If someone has a spare heater, we could throw it in my cooler with some water, and then just put the bagged frags in the cooler. That way they'd stay at a good temperature for hours.

Now, I haven't dealt with frags before, so I don't know if that's enough to satisfy them. The power supply could probably also support a small powerhead for a few hours too.

Let me know if this would work, and I'll bring the stuff along (someone would have to bring a heater, all mine are being used!)
as for heaters, pumps, buckets, Iodine dip, heat packs, ect I have all that stuff if needed. but for a day trip keeping the corals in a dark and steady atmosphere would be just fine the key would be acclimating them to your tank slowly once they were home.

michaeltwana
11/14/2007, 10:33 PM
hey don't sweat it really...don't worry about bringing stuff here its no big. I was not bashing you thinking you didn't know what was up with getting the stuff back to GF. I was just making sure everything was cool.

i will try to get a better schedule finished tomorrow for sure..

michael

icereefer
11/14/2007, 10:54 PM
Michael
No didn't take it as you were bashing, just letting you know I've shipped stonies and have every thing needed to frag and transport in state or out of state.
as for what I have right now for frags I work in town tomorrow and should be home at a decent time if you have time contact mike or Tarax if you don't have my web site addy I'll try and post what I have right now for frags if anything you like leave me a PM,
I'm touchy to with my corals as your friend is and I hate taking them out of my tank and taking them on a road trip if they just have to come back again.
as anyone that love there corals like we do Knows this. :)

tarax
11/14/2007, 11:55 PM
Sorry for the late reply to all this but I have been working 14 to 16's at Camp Grafton this week trying to meet a timeline for a fiber communications project. I should be home LATE tomorrow night..

I am up for anything. We don't have even meet at my place it was just an offer so we could all get together and BS.. I personally am more up for looking at this guys system that has run 12 years as a biological than anything else. That and I want to pick his brain hard as I really want to move away from all of this mechanical stuff that I have in my own tank.. I promise my feelings won't get hurt and I look forward to seeing these tanks...!!!!

Mike thanks for taking the time to set all of this up.. I am extremely excited about the whole prospect.. I don't even care if I get a frag or not.. Just to be able to talk with guys that have these kinds of systems are payment enough for me personally.

So if we want to free form this is great or we can use my place as a final stop if you want.. I am pretty much game for anything.

michaeltwana
11/15/2007, 11:19 AM
where do you live? We could always hang at my house too....since it is close to the tanks that we will be seeing.

I think Steve's tank has been just biological for eight years of the 12, but I will let him talk about it. he will be at work so he might not be able to talk a lot, but he is a pretty talkative guy once he starts going.

we could skip the other tanks if everybody wants to as well. but i think we should go look at the 180--just cause I have not yet seen it in person.

anyway, I will get a meeting address to everyone ASAP.

michaeltwana
11/15/2007, 01:39 PM
Okay here is what I have so far.

1. I would like to have everyone meet up at the Moorhead Center Mall at Noon, it is on 4th street and Center ave. The parking lot will be the south west one by country kitchen. we will meet outside by there--AND WE ARE NOT EATING THERE.

here is a map link:

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&q=center+mall&near=Moorhead,+MN&fb=1&sa=X&oi=local_group&resnum=4&ct=image

Steve's tank is in the mall area, I will lead us to the motherload.

2. We will leave steve's tank at about 12:30-1pm an head to the other tanks on the north side of fargo. first seeing a 180 reef tank, and than to another house, to see a 125, a 55, and a 58. I HAVE NOT SEEN THESE TANKS FOR SOME TIME, BUT WHEN I DID SEE THEM THEY WERE COOL. THE 180 I HAVE NEVER SEEN, BUT WITH TIME RESTRICTIONS THIS WAS ALL I COULD GET THIS WEEKEND. SORRY

3. Now we have a couple options, we wrap it up and everyone goes home, or we could go to my place and hang and I could grill.

SO I NEED TWO THINGS FROM EVERYONE: WHO IS COMING AND HOW WOULD WE LIKE TO WRAP THINGS UP.

PLEASE RESPOND ASAP.

thanks everyone....

michael

strangerdejavu
11/15/2007, 03:15 PM
I'll be there. I believe Icereefer and Moonyguy will be too (we still carpooling, guys?)

As for wrapping things up, I'm personally all about eating food, but I'm fine with calling it a day too if people are ready to go home.

moonyguy
11/15/2007, 04:58 PM
I need to get back home by 6 pm so the max I can stay is till 4:30 pm. So if we can fit something in that would be great....is the weather good for grilling outside in Fargo this weekend?

Jason...we can meet at my place at say 10:30-10:45 am before we head down?

strangerdejavu
11/15/2007, 05:59 PM
10:30-10:45 sounds good to me. Jim, if you still want to carpool, do you want to meet there too, or should I swing by your place? I live right by Scheels.

icereefer
11/15/2007, 09:23 PM
yeah I could just meet at vishnu's.
If we wrap it up at your place Michael what do you need me to bring for the Grill,Ect.

tarax
11/16/2007, 12:39 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11188051#post11188051 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by michaeltwana
where do you live? We could always hang at my house too....since it is close to the tanks that we will be seeing.

I think Steve's tank has been just biological for eight years of the 12, but I will let him talk about it. he will be at work so he might not be able to talk a lot, but he is a pretty talkative guy once he starts going.

we could skip the other tanks if everybody wants to as well. but i think we should go look at the 180--just cause I have not yet seen it in person.

anyway, I will get a meeting address to everyone ASAP.

I live at 3240 9th St West #203 West Fargo.. Right behind Mattwell just north of the new grade school and park.

tarax
11/16/2007, 12:41 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11191695#post11191695 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by icereefer
yeah I could just meet at vishnu's.
If we wrap it up at your place Michael what do you need me to bring for the Grill,Ect.

Ditto on what you want to bring.. I can just about cook or make anything you want..

KayHouse
11/16/2007, 01:13 AM
Better late than never I guess... Yeah i've been totally busy and really don't check this forum much... but just in case you were wondering, I work until 3, so unless no one decided to fly and I get out early, I probably won't be able to make it. Sorry guys

K

michaeltwana
11/16/2007, 08:51 AM
So we have jim, vish, jason from GF--matt, tarax, brady and myself from fargo...is this correct???

As far as bringing food don't sweat it too much. I was going to just grill brats and burgers and some salmon for vish (he is so special). If you want to make a donation to the food fund its cool. Ideas for food is appriciated.

what would everyone want to drink.....beer, soda, jack d (kidding)

we have a 240 and a 600 gallon tank set up to tour for next time. they are not around this weekend.

open for suggestions. if it is too cold out to grill, which it probably won't be, if its snowing or raining than maybe we will order pizza of whatever.

let me know if I don't have you on the head count

Turbo5oh
11/16/2007, 02:16 PM
count me in!

moonyguy
11/16/2007, 06:00 PM
Hey Mike

Is it okay to bring some beer over?
Vish

Mattewell
11/16/2007, 06:08 PM
Hey, I'm in. I have 4 styrofoam containers so if anyone needs one I will be bringing them. I also have about 6 un-used frag bags so I will bring those too. See you guys at the meeting!

michaeltwana
11/17/2007, 08:27 AM
Yes you can bring beer if you wish....

So far we have brats, burgers, vish with beer, salmon, I will grab some soda and cold salads too....

see everyone at noon.

any problems call me

sorry forgot phone number before 701-238-3453

michael

michaeltwana
11/17/2007, 08:59 AM
And than I took my dog for a walk and decided to not do the grilling idea--thanks to some help from my wife I am just going to do like a taco bar type setup.

Is this okay with everyone?

I will have some beans for Vish-hopefully he won't eat too much the drive home might be dangerous.

Anyway, this is what I am going to do for this time, hopefully everyone can find something for everyone.

michael

tarax
11/17/2007, 09:41 AM
I'm fine with anything.. See you all today at Noon..

moonyguy
11/17/2007, 11:38 AM
okay me Jim and Jason are heading down now, See you in an hour or so
Vishnu

tarax
11/18/2007, 01:45 PM
Great seeing everyone again.. Loved the tank tour Mike.. Tell Steve and Dan THANKS A TON for all the free corals..

moonyguy
11/18/2007, 02:27 PM
Mark. I will post some pictures of the meeting and the great frags we got from Steve and Dan later today.
I cant thank Mike and Twana enough for their great hospitality and food. You guys are awesome. Thanks a lot to everyone who came for the meeting.

tarax
11/19/2007, 07:35 PM
Did I hear Picies being posted.. Also if you would post them on JD's site.. I would like to get more traffic over there going as well... Since we plan on using that forum as the ultimate base for the club..

KayHouse
11/19/2007, 11:20 PM
Pictures are always great, but not too many sweet ones, i'll get to jealous of all you guys since I didn't get to make it

tarax
11/19/2007, 11:36 PM
Just all that more reason for you to work harder and get off of weekend shifts :D

j/k - we did have a good time.. Wish you could have been there. And am waiting on your pics as well..

moonyguy
11/20/2007, 12:04 PM
As suggested I posted the images I had on the JD website. Check it out when you have time.

Turbo5oh
11/20/2007, 08:08 PM
hmm i might be slow but i cant find them

strangerdejavu
11/20/2007, 09:19 PM
I can't find them either... I just didn't want to be the first one to post it! :P

tarax
11/20/2007, 10:44 PM
First you have to be a member then I have to give you access to the forum.. It was decided that the forum was for members only...

Sign onto the board turbo and I'll get you access..

Strangerdejavu yours has been updated..