PDA

View Full Version : DE MH Bulb suggestions

xchrisjb
11/03/2007, 03:34 PM
Hey NMOK --

It's more than past time for me to replace the MH bulb in my light fixture. I've been running 14K Phoenix 250 MH along with two T5's - a blue-plus and an aqua-sun. I like the 14K look, but wonder what it would take to get a bit more color out of it all. I figure I've got to change the MH bulb, but changing out the T5's is also an option too.

Does anyone here have suggestions for my next MH bulb (or Mh-T5 combination)? Either DE bulbs you've got running or have read and researched here on RC ...

Thanks!

asfullax
11/08/2007, 01:28 AM
I have not run DE bulbs, but the two that I will stick with due to price / par and reliability are the coralvue reeflux 12k and the Phoenix 14k. Both are availible as SE or DE, and are fairly inexpensive.

The coralvue 12k are a strong blue look and the Phoenix is a slightly less shade of blue. My corals grow much faster with the reeflux then the phoenix, although the Phoenix have a more even look. although, with the T5's you could supliment just about anything to match.

as a compairison, I have used XM, Radium's, and hamilton. Just be careful though, the reeflux are very strong, I had some corals lighten up for a few weeks after the change from xm10k to the 12k. they were top level corals and the 10k was about 13 months old, so it was a double whammy...

xchrisjb
11/08/2007, 02:27 AM
Thanks Alex. I'm a big fan of the Phoenix bulb. I'll have to check out the reeflux. The 12k might be a good look ...

Thanks again.

asfullax
11/08/2007, 11:18 AM
Personally, the reeflux 12k with actinic supp is my best so far. I love the look, corals grow fast and everything just pops. they also run much cooler then xm 15k's so my tank doesn't overheat as much. :D