PDA

View Full Version : What tool do you use to cut sps?

chriss
10/28/2002, 08:42 PM
I want to start fragging my sps corals and I need to know what the best tool is to do the job.

I was thinking it needed to be stainless steel to avoid rusting and something stronger than wire cutters.

Would appreciate any ideas and find out what you use that works. Esp for the harder to cut varieties.

Thanks!
Chris

griss
10/29/2002, 01:45 PM
For branching SPS I use ordinary tin snips. I take the colony out of the tank, if possible, and make my cuts. Yes, the snips eventually rust, but they are fairly inexpensive so I just buy new ones.

For fragging massive or splitting a colony in two I use a RotoZip with a masonry blade attachement.

Griss

chriss
10/29/2002, 01:53 PM
Griss,
Thank you for the reply.

Of course, with me being an impatient person I didn't wait long enough for a response and went ahead and ordered stainless steel bone cutter shears and a set of diver shears. Wasn't too bad in price, $29 for the bone cutters and $15 for the ss emt shears.

Have you ever used either of these or know of anyone who has? Hopefully I didn't waste my money.

Thanks again,
Chris

epon
10/29/2002, 02:09 PM
Just out of curiosity where did you order them?

chriss
10/29/2002, 02:23 PM
http://www.emsdiasum.com/

griss
10/29/2002, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by chriss
Of course, with me being an impatient person I didn't wait long enough for a response and went ahead and ordered stainless steel bone cutter shears and a set of diver shears. Wasn't too bad in price, $29 for the bone cutters and $15 for the ss emt shears.

Have you ever used either of these or know of anyone who has? Hopefully I didn't waste my money.
LOL on being impatient. I don't think you wasted your money at all. Being stainless steel is a big plus as they will resist rusting.

BTW, you better send me some of your first frags so I can evaluate your cutting techniques:D

Griss

chriss
10/29/2002, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by griss
BTW, you better send me some of your first frags so I can evaluate your cutting techniques:D
Griss

Just as soon as you send me some of yours :)

griss
10/30/2002, 11:55 AM
Just as soon as you send me some of yours :)
Hmmm, maybe in the spring when the weather gets warmer we can to a frag trade.

Griss

chriss
10/30/2002, 12:31 PM
Griss,
That sounds like a good plan!
Chris

kentrob11
10/31/2002, 01:21 AM
I want in too! By then I'll have some pretty decent frags to chime in with! George will already have mine by then tho

griss
10/31/2002, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by kentrob11
I want in too! By then I'll have some pretty decent frags to chime in with! George will already have mine by then tho
Oh the waiting is killing me, you have gotten some nice corals recently Kent:thumbsup:

Griss

chriss
10/31/2002, 10:26 AM
Now I have a reason to push hubby to let me have a bigger tank, this one is already full, but I think I might have an inch or two available :) in the far right corner...

Chris

griss
11/01/2002, 10:39 AM
Now I have a reason to push hubby to let me have a bigger tank, this one is already full, but I think I might have an inch or two available :) in the far right corner...

Chris
Better get a really big tank. I am out of room in my 200;)

Griss

chriss
11/01/2002, 11:04 AM
I have two light blue stag colonies, maybe I'll have to trade a whole colony (med) for something I don't have - that way I'll have room for it :)

I have a 90g now with softies and sps, want to get another tank just for the softies, but that doesn't give me anymore room for the sps :( - hmm. maybe I need two more tanks and a bigger house!