PDA

View Full Version : pocillapora spawning Good or Bad??

mkbtank
10/28/2007, 06:24 PM
Should I be concerned or happy that my pocillapora seems to be spawning in many places in my tank? I am somewhat new to sps and have a 180 with a 75G fuge, and about 25 different types of sps frags which are all growing nicely(until I wrote that I'm sure). In the past week, I have noticed about 15 or so small spots or pocillapora in different spots in my tank which are also growing.

I am torm between being happy to have any type of growth, and concern that this is the sps equivalent of xenia.

I am hoping that this is good. But.... if I should be concerned, is there a method of control that I should be prepared to employ?

Also - coupld someone please pm me how I can pay my membership dues.

Thanks,

Mitch

Troll
10/28/2007, 07:15 PM
Only enough room for 1 Mitch reefer in town....just kidding. Mine has been spawning for about 6 months now..since a frag of it fell into the rockwork...I've got some of these colonies that are now about 2"-3" wide and 2"-3" tall - 100s in total.

I'm having a problem now in that as they grow, they are growing into zoos, mushrooms, SPS, etc. so I find myself every couple of weeks trying to break off pieces of it.....since they are all encrusted prior to growing vertically, it's almost impossible breaking off anything but vertical growth, leaving a "mat" of it in it's place. Only shading it or covering it seems to kill it, but that obviously buts nearby corals in jeapordy also. I have found that some of the zoos seem to be able to actually "overcome" it once I break off the vertical growth, and are growing on top of it.

That being said, I do have about 50 nice frags of it if anyone wants any.

jgatmaitan
10/28/2007, 07:18 PM
I have heard about them spawning but never seen mine do it. Do know what kind of poccilipora you guys have? What color is it?

Mitch, a picture would be nice.

Jay4Robin
10/28/2007, 07:29 PM
I never had one spawn but did get live rock where they were growing. I had about 4 colonys. I have away 3 of them and kept one. I would just clip them off and not be worried too much

Troll
10/28/2007, 07:31 PM
again - almost impossible to clip off, since it encrusts first, then grows vertically - at least with mine.

Jay4Robin
10/28/2007, 08:24 PM
just find a tool to snap it off. Mine were very easy to remove. Or if need be remove the rock and then get it off.

ribs
10/28/2007, 08:29 PM
I've seen a display tank and a different persons' frag tanks where pocil. has sprung up all over the place from little 1/4" nubs to 1"-2" mini colonies. All Over The Place! It's always been the green tho never seen the pinker looking stuff spawned all over a tank. It has been described as a nuisance to me from one of the tank owners but mine never spawned.
Maybe it's an especially "hardy" strain that is around.

Jay removing the rock to erradicate it sounds like it could be called a pest!!

mkbtank
10/28/2007, 09:01 PM
Yes - it's the green. I got the frag from Spankey a few months ago so I'll have to ask him as well.

It does seem to encrust first to the size of a dime and then grow upwards. So far it's ok, but I could easily see this becoming annoying.

Jiggs - I too some pics tonight which I will post in a few days (Laptop is in the shop). The sps in my tank is really doing well (As are your zoos). Right now it's a 180 with about 25+ different frags growing. If I can stand to be patient, it should look really great as they grow out.

Oh well..... at least it's not a 1000 mushrooms :)

Troll
10/30/2007, 09:39 AM
Mine was from Spankey also - the green poc....hmmmmm