PDA

View Full Version : Too Many Sites

rodstar
10/26/2007, 01:24 PM
I feel like we already have too many sites going on with this club. As far as I know, we have:

Reef Central (and we already forked off of PARC) so there are 2 places for me to browse. We also have the new, not yet created, website and Google Groups with a bunch of email threads happening over there already.

I recommend that we come up with a plan to have either everything consolidate into the new site or think about dropping the Google group. We are a small organization. We don't need three destinations. It will lead to fragmentation and all will eventually die off.

I have dealt with this in the past.

Do we have a vision for the new site? Is there a site we will pattern ours off of? Can we integrate this forum into the site, so you never have to go anywhere except our main site???

Just my 2 cents...

Derek

krikor
10/26/2007, 01:33 PM
For now were Everywhere till the website is up and running.

After that All the reef site forums will lead to our websites forum.

Right now the google group is being kind of abused i feel. I think it should be used for announcements of meetings and events and that sort of thing. other than that use the Forums like we are now.

Personally i browse several local forums... they dotn change much on a daily basis so i dont find that a big deal. now i have 5 instead of 4. **shrug**

Remember right now we are trying to reach as many people in the area as we can, so being spread out is fine for now. Then everything should be on OUR site on OUR forum. with announcements via Email list on google group.

My two cents!

(Definatly have a valid point though)

MinibowMatt
10/26/2007, 03:22 PM
I, like krikor do follow several forums daily. It doesnt bother me, but I totally understand the annoyance. I feel it is something that needs to be changed. I havent been able to get on to the groups thing yet, too busy, so I cant comment on it. We arent going to post in any parc forum anymore, so that leaves this forum, and RM. RM is a good place because of the freedom we can have, with local chatrooms and the like. We have our own forum there too. both of these sites offer different atmospheres. Both good atmospheres(at times:) ) Lots and Lots of knowledge here. Lots of interaction at RM. RM is still small enough to be close nit, and still very experienced.
RC has EVERYTHING. RM is Growing.
You guys talk it out, but remember, we are friends with both sites so no bashing.

MinibowMatt
10/26/2007, 03:26 PM
As for the site plans, we are going to try to work with CrazyfingersMike , as he has his own host... (or something like that--not a web guy here! )

I like several aspects of several sites as models....This is on the agenda for Novembers meeting already.

crazyfingersmike
10/26/2007, 05:20 PM
Matt, will get back to you about the web hosting. Been very busy past week or two and I'm going to be out of town for a few days. Plus, I haven't even paid my dues yet ;)

Hoping I can get to the November meeting so we can discuss it.

aquanut6
10/26/2007, 06:13 PM
I couldn't agree more.

Now, I just visit here, RC, and wait for emails to me to tell me what's going on in the google group. That's enough for me.

As for the website, I thought my friend would come through for me but he's been "too" busy. We have crazyfingersmike and rodstar offering to help us out. We now know crazyfingers status.

Rodstar, is there anything you can provide for the moment. If you go to the site now it just says that it's underconstruction as I wanted it to say something.

Jay4Robin
10/26/2007, 09:01 PM
I will be 99% on RC.

I am not much of a surfer:D