PDA

View Full Version : Too much skimmer??

Bluesop7
10/24/2007, 09:12 PM
Ok, so i just got an 8 gallon biocube and it just so happens I downgraded from a 75 gallon FOWLR and still have my external skimmer from it. The thing is, the skimmer is a DNW-150 Recirculating octopus skimmer. I could easily hook it up to the biocube but im wondering if this would be detremental to my future inhabitants which will be 2 small fish and all SPS. I know slightly oversized skimmers are good for SPS tanks but does there come a point to where its too much??

jski711
10/24/2007, 09:36 PM
wow thats way overkill. IMO i think you can skim to much but im not expert.

Rosseau
10/24/2007, 09:40 PM
How about running it on a timer? Or.. does it take too long to prime etc.?

Bluesop7
10/24/2007, 10:22 PM
I know its way overkill but I figured since I have it already, why not keep it instead of going through the hassle of selling it and trying to find a new skimmer. I dunno though. I dont want to use it if its going to be detrimental to my tank inhabitants.

As far as putting it on a timer I dont really know how long it takes to get going again after it goes offline. Ive always run it 24/7.

Eklikewhoa
10/25/2007, 07:28 AM
Could there be such a thing as over skimming?

Bluesop7
10/25/2007, 08:20 AM
I have no idea but Ive seen a couple of threads that claim that you can. Maybe someone who has some actual scientific reasoning behind whether you can or cant overskim could chime in?

I wouldnt think you could, especially in an SPS tank but thats JMO.

ReefWreak
10/25/2007, 08:47 AM
I would use that skimmer if you were planning on doing a sump on your biocube, however for fear of overskimming I would just run it on a timer so it ran at night. Running at night would remove the nutrients as well as stabilize the pH of the tank by aerating the water more since there is no photosynthesis at night to add oxygen for obvious reasons.

Rosseau
10/25/2007, 09:30 AM
Obviously some degree of nutrients in the water is essential.

Skimming is pretty indiscriminant as far as what it takes out of the water - it's a density/molecule size thing I believe.

Thus, you'll be losing "good" and "bad"... so I suppose, theoretically there must be a point of over skimming?

However yes.... actual credible sources would be good here.