PDA

View Full Version : Mods for a 6 gallon Eclipse System

mikemartinez
10/23/2007, 03:01 PM
Do you guys know of any modifications that I can do to this or buy for this?

I havent had any luck finding anything on this tank.. I am really interested in upgrading the lights and if possible still keep the hood it comes with..

Thanks

superjohnny
10/23/2007, 04:48 PM
I had one of these for a while and I didn't have much luck. In about a month I upgraded to a 10g, which was much better. I put a 13w PC light in my hood and it was better than the 8w stock light, but still not enough to keep corals happy. Plus it wasn't shielded from the saltwater. You could put 2 13w lights in it, but you'll have to remove the filtration system and it starts you down the path to heat troubles because it is not ventilated.

IMO you'd be better off going for a 5.5g or 10g AGA.

Savas
10/24/2007, 01:30 PM
I have had my Eclipse 6 now for about 6 months. I did not mod the hood but I added three additional media filters to the stock filter. I added / stuffed a 100 ml Purigen filter bag under the stock K filter - I had to cut the filter, remove some media and reglue the bag. On top of the filter I added another layer of poly filter pad, I then added a media bag filled with sand and tiny live rocks pieces on top of the poly filter pad.

The filter runs fine. I change the K filter cartridge and poly pad monthly. I rinse the sand filter and have yet to need to re-energize the Purigen as it is still not brown.

I added a 90 gph pump for increased water circulation in the lower-middle of the tank. I placed a piece of live rock in front of it that I drilled a hole in to allow the water to shoot out of.

I have GSP, Kenya tree, brown polyps, xenia, green sinularia, and a red mushroom rock in the tank. The livestock are a hermit crab, 4 snails, and two yellow tailed blue damsels.

The tank looks great, is easy to maintain, and cost me less than $150 stocked.