PDA

View Full Version : carpet anenome

cbell-old
01/04/2001, 05:49 PM
i have a 135g, 150 lbs lr. 3 175w 12000k mh. tank is 24 in tall. i bought a green carpet about 2 months ago. before i found this site, and i wont buy any more. i read that they like light. however mine keeps hiding under rocks. i have 2 perci's that live in\around the anenome. is this mormal? i also have 2 yellow tangs, a coral beauty, a blue devil damsel and 2 dragonets. all water parameters are godd. nitrite 0- nitrate 0- ammonia 0- ph 8.4 sg 1.023 phosphate stays about 1(from well water) cal. 450 alk 3.2 temp 77-80.
i also have a bt that has doubled in size in the last three months.

Dwayne
01/04/2001, 09:32 PM
I would say you and your anemone are fine.:)

My carpet did that for 6 months. I think it has something to do with being held in low light and then introduced to our bright lights. Now, 1 1/2 year later it is out in the open and occasionally moving wandering around. My temp runs in the high 80's and I have two saddleback clowns that bounce between the carpet and the seabae.

Have fun and enjoy.

Dwayne

Kevomac
01/05/2001, 08:02 PM
I have never had much luck with anemones, but have heard something that I thought I might pass on about carpets. I bought one and my true perculas loved it, but it died a short time later anyway (probably because of not enough light.) Later I was told that when anemones die, they can release their stinging cells into the water which may roll across the tank and take out all of your inverts with it! I was told that carpets are especially prone to this. I still love carpet anemones, and would love to have one, so I wish you well with yours!

JASON HOPKINS
03/16/2001, 02:49 PM
Sorry to be barer of bad news but watch these fellas i had one which ate a 4 inch triger that was in perfect condition and spued it up 2days later ' NOT PLEASED TO SAY THE LEAST.

Craig Markle
12/17/2001, 11:48 PM
:)I'm quite new to corals and anemonies, but have been pleased with my green carpet (in tank 8 months) & also long tenticle (2 years). At first the long tenticle anemonie was "moribund" and as the last resort I gently poked small pieces of shrimp right into his mouth. He improved and has been well since, as has the newer carpet, who eats the same food. Both grab it readily so no more poking ;)! My tank is 77 gal.; lighting is four 110 VHO's (2 actinic). My large clown lives and sleeps in the long tenticle but sometimes visits the carpet.