PDA

View Full Version : Lion Fish Sting - Help

Aqua_Man
01/04/2001, 01:57 PM
I was cleaning my tank yesterday with an algae scrubber and my lion fish decides to sting the pad 3 times. Those of you familiar with lion fish will know that these guys have flesh covering the spkikes located at the top of the body. Well when this guy stung the pad some of the skin was pulled back, slightly exposing some of the spike which looks like a fish bone. I've been told that when these fish sting something they release venum. My question is are the other fish and live rock going to be okay. I dumped some AmQuel just in case. Please advise.

Q-ball
01/04/2001, 02:32 PM
Hiya...Aren't lionfish awesome? I can't wait til I have room so I can dedicate a tank just for two of em...anyhow...Not to worry, this is normal...the spines as you mentioned are covered with a thin skin. When I had my lionfish, he stung my puffer (2 times actually, he survived both times & is still with me, although I lost the lion a few months ago:() and had his spines sticking about 1/2" through the skin/sheath. It healed back in about a week with no treatment necessary so I don't think you have anything to worry about. This is their natural defense, it wouldn't be much of a defense if it led to their death, no?;) As for the poison, while it can be harmful when injected into a fish (even deadly in some cases), if the poison was released into the water I wouldn't worry at all, I'm sure the water diluted it plenty before any of your other fish have anything to worry about. I would however seek immediate medical attention for that sponge pad, as their immune system is not known to be very strong & you may lose it to infection:D How long have you had the lion and what kind is it? I'm kinda surprised that he attached the sponge really. I had a volitan that was just a little sweetheart, very curious...the times he stung my puffer were both by accident, they were both going for the same food & the spines got in the way:) I even had 2 instances when I was cleaning the tank that my lion came up & actually layed on his belly on my arm (note to kids: don't do this at home!). Anyhow, my main point is, I don't think you've got anything to worry about except for your sponges well-being. Good Luck!

Q!!!

FMarini
01/04/2001, 05:28 PM
Hi:
I responded to your Q? this morning on the reefland board where you posted eariler. But Q hit it right on the head...bottom line your scrubber pad is dead.....you however have little to worry about except next time...figure out why your lion did this....or else your next....here is the reposne from reefland i posted.
-------------------------------------------
Hey-
yes you'll be fine as well as your fish...don't worry about it...however your scrubber pad is dead....
the venom has to be injected into the blood stream to be effective. just squirting it into the water does nothing but release protein for your protien skimmer to remove...No worries...
now why is you lion so agressive???if he'll go after the scrubbing pad then your hand will be next....If you do get stung....place the injected area under the hottest water you can stand(almost scalding)..about 10 mins worth of hot,hot,hot will break down enuf of the venom to reduce the discomfort...Notice I say reduce..it still hurts like a giant wasp sting...I've been tagged twice now.......
frank
-------------------------------
Q-thanks for the quick reply...i have a tank w/ 5 (or is it 7?) species of lions...awesome....but unlike you I have had one of my lions impale a fish on purpose. it was a lethal blow...
thanks again
frank

Aqua_Man
01/04/2001, 05:53 PM
Thank you very much for your responses. This guy is a huge Red Volitan Lion he usually is not aggresive but this time for some reason it felt threatend by the pad. This lion was medium sized and now is huge. I hope it was a one time thing. But he is the pride of our aquarium. Thank you very much for the quick response.