PDA

View Full Version : what is this coral?

lil_aqua
10/25/2002, 01:06 AM
( I should have put this in another group I realize, this is not about propping, sorry)
I bought this little (unknown type) mushroom rock from a LFS for about 5.99....YAY-
There is some small like button type of coral on the rock also and I am not sure what it is...looks like a minature of bubble coral or something......I am sure its a coral as it lives out of hard little like circle things... looks like a spoked tire when closed...
the white specs on the pic are some baby feather dusters all over my tank. I got a little duster on this rock and after I acclimated it, about 4 hours later it spewed some BRIGHT green stuff... and whalla! a ton of living tiny little feather dusters.... some are getting pretty sturdy and making straight tubes... (I do add calcium and trace elements as directed on bottle)

coral pic attached..

Chris Mu.
10/27/2002, 02:52 PM
i believe this is a Blastomussa merleti ... i knew it was a blastomussa as soon as i saw it .. but i had to look up the other part ..

here is some info on it...
madagascar to new caldonia
around austrailia and the Houtman Abrolhos islands my book says it uncommon there are only three true species of Blastomussa ....that one i've only seen a few times .... we can get Blastomussa wellsi at my store as often as we want .. pretty much .. and have some nice red ones at the moment.. might snag those and bring em home though .. you have a great specimen there should fare well .. they are very hardy and should spread rapidly ... hope that helps..,
Chris

lil_aqua
10/27/2002, 03:06 PM
thank you soooo much !!
I feel so great now !
I got this rock at the store for 5.99
I think it may have been a mistake.. I asked them if that was for real and they said, "it says mushroom rocks 5.99 doesn't it?"
so... this is great!!! I feel so happy about this !!
I am glad I found out so I can better its habitat and I am glad it has loved for me thus far... I have had it about 4 months...
the tank had been set up and cycled with live rock for about 3 months before I put any coral into it.....

Chris Mu.
10/27/2002, 03:35 PM
i prollly would have sold that at my store for at least 50 bucks... yeah they messed up ... that isnt a mushroom for sure.. good deal.. we have only had that coral in our store 2 times that i can remember .. i nthe past 8 or so years i have been there..!! no prob glad to help,
Chris

lil_aqua
10/27/2002, 03:43 PM
wow 50 bucks?!!?!!
I hope I can get this to spread... It has grown a couple little heads since I got it, so I am hopeful !!!

heh, there was 2 smallish mushrooms on the rock also when I got it.... I do not know what kind, they look plain brown....
man do I feel lucky !!!:D