PDA

View Full Version : Ricordea yuma propagation

MacTheKnife
10/24/2002, 07:44 PM
Any one have experience propagating these ricordeas. Would like some help here...

scubadude
10/24/2002, 10:54 PM
Me personally? Yeah I wold pizza slice the shroom in however many frags you want...multiples of 2 obviously, the trick is try to have each slice still stay connected to the rock. Once they all form seperate mouths for each slice then you can chisel that piece of that rock off or slice the base of the shroom off of the rock and attach it to another rock that has more grow out room, or you can just leave them on that rock and let them grow out.....hth....sweet ricordea :)

gennet
11/02/2002, 11:53 PM
Just slice em up. Like scubadude said, cut it as you would a pizza, but i would cut the cap off first. Whatever you do, just make sure the cuts completely sever every piece from each other, otherwise it'll just heal right back up. The frags will heal in about a month or so, at which point i give you permission to send me one :D

arcab4
11/09/2002, 02:53 PM
does each cut need a piece of the mouth?

Periclimenes Lover
11/10/2002, 01:33 AM
In my experience so far each piece doesn't need a mouth. I've found that Yumas are easier than Florida types, I've just cut of the top of the ricordia as much as I could, then taken that piece and made three or four pieces out of it. I put them in a bowl or container with holes and they will each heal up into a new ricordia. Don't restrict the ricordias like with a netting on top I would say, I've had problems most of the time when I tried that method. Nice color BTW! I'm with gennet... feel free to send me one when finished! ;) I have an orange with purple rim I would trade when they are finished growing out in a couple to few weeks.

reef10
12/04/2002, 09:51 AM
I followed scubadude's advise on a ricordia that I got from him. I sliced it in half once. I do think that the fewer cuts = bigger pieces = better survivability. However the two halfs have reattached. Since I cut through the mouth it may make the ricordia generate 2 mouths and split in a more natural fasion. I am still waiting to see if this will happen. I guess I could also recut it. Any ideas on keeping the 2 halfs seperate with both on the same base rock.

l8tr

cperson
12/08/2002, 10:51 PM
Mak, are you sure that is a yuma and not a florida?

wildthings44
12/19/2002, 10:54 PM
Mine just split on thier own. A couple of months ago I moved and they really went nuts after that. The only thing different was that I had to start using salt mixture as I was using purrified seawater, and I fed them once a week, adding vitamines to the mixture. I did accidentally rip one in half when I moved and both halves recoved in a very short time! I remove them off my main rock every couple of months and leave a couple behind to start things over again. I think mine are the florida variety.