PDA

View Full Version : Is this a bad idea? frag tank in sump?

krbrill
10/24/2002, 12:41 PM
I just upgraded from a 32 gal to a 72 gal bowfront and added a 20 gallon sump. I was thinking since I had lights over the sump(and alge in there) that I would add a tray in the sump for frags. If I am fragging stuff, will I hurt my show tank by not having a completely seperate system? Just thought that maybe there is a reason that I have not seen anyone else recomend making a frag tank in the sump. Any help appreciated. Also, can anyone tell me a GOOD BOOK ON PROPAGATION? I need to learn how to fill my tank up. I am hoping to frag and trade. Thanks!

griss
10/24/2002, 03:58 PM
I use a 100 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank as my sump/prop tank. It works fine. Although, I have a separate refugium also.

Griss

chrisblore
10/24/2002, 04:10 PM
In terms of a book, I could not recommend the "Book of Coral Propagation" by Anthony Calfo more. It is a superb reference whilst still maintaining an enjoyable read. You can by it and find further info at his website, http://www.readingtrees.com (Don't ask about the choice of the name for the website:confused: )
Hope this helps
Chris Blore

MECorals
10/24/2002, 09:21 PM
My 125g show/parent tank is connected to a rack system consisting of 10 20g growout tanks. I work with only soft coral species. One of the reasons I choose to connect them (besides the obvious resource savings) was to give my new cuttings the exact same water parameters. This greatly reduces stress and enables them to acclimate & attach faster.

I've never had any problems with cutting corals, sliming in this connected system. One other benefit is time saved by not having to perform water changes on yet another system. My advice is to use your sump & any other means to keep your corals in the same system. Just as long as they won't free float into a pump. Some newly bindered cuttings (of the soft species) will detach and become what I lovingly call "tumbleweed babies". ;)

Penny

krbrill
10/25/2002, 08:07 PM
Thank you all for your replies and encouragement. Bought the book, and am looking forward to trying all this. I am a little scared of that first cutting my animal up, but, I am sure that I will get over that. I am going to try with some mushrooms that I have that are kind of unusual, white mushrooms with a tinge of red, and neon green dots all over. The way my sump is set up, "tumbleweed babies (I like that term) should not be a problem, I will just have to fish them out if it happens. Again thanks to all.