PDA

View Full Version : November Meeting

boviac
10/15/2007, 12:41 PM
Greetings,

One thing I forgot to coordinate before we departed last was if anyone wanted to host their tank after the November 9 meeting.

It will be a great opportunity to motivate you to clean your tank up - you know those algae spots I'm talking about. Plus, once you've cleaned it you still get to enjoy the new found clarity you forgot you had. Plus, you never know who'll come by and really fancy a specific coral and want to swap with you a frag of something amazing you've never even seen before. Plus, if something in your system is say, a little ghetto, you might find someone come and say, "you know I've got gizmo A that's just sitting in my garage. I could let you have it just to get rid of it." And like that you've got several new friends, new corals, and better things.

See all the benefits that can come from sharing your tank to the club? I think I'll just sit back now and wait for everyone to volunteer. :lol: :rollface: :D :D :D

Twisted
10/15/2007, 03:11 PM
I would, I just doubt everyone is going to travel 1.5 hours to come up and see my bubble algae farm.
Which by the way is an open invitation to anyone comming up next week to attend the Frank Burr coral fragging demo next weekend, you are more then welcome to come by and check out my tank before heading home, which also means we can cross the street and see Matts multiple tanks too.

boviac
10/15/2007, 06:02 PM
If I can get over to parents house for my sister's party and visit enough - before the party... I'll be heading up there! I'll be sure to go by and see your tank Twisited. So many tanks... Love it :D

kyletech
10/15/2007, 08:48 PM
I'd love the chance to show off my 2 tanks, to anyone who comes up to Redding for the demo.

shelbiesdaddy
10/17/2007, 03:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10976788#post10976788 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Twisted
I would, I just doubt everyone is going to travel 1.5 hours to come up and see my bubble algae farm.
Which by the way is an open invitation to anyone comming up next week to attend the Frank Burr coral fragging demo next weekend, you are more then welcome to come by and check out my tank before heading home, which also means we can cross the street and see Matts multiple tanks too.

I have the perfect "killing machine" for that bubble algae. It will also turn your sand for you, but if everything isn't glued down it will be displaced. Also if you have any feather dusters they will lose their heads.

Twisted
10/17/2007, 03:23 PM
I have a hawaiian feather duster and a very exspensive coco worm. I also have a ton of frags scattered about my tank, most pretty secure, but a crab that big would be able to flip them all easy.
Thanks for the offer though, I would love to rid myself of the bubbles, but they seem to be slowy disappearing.

shelbiesdaddy
10/17/2007, 04:17 PM
I noticed a couple of bubbles in my tank but there is no way I am putting that monster in there. He is in a shell about the size of your fist.

Tylt33
10/17/2007, 05:57 PM
Bubble algae = reef herpes. I have it too.

shelbiesdaddy
10/17/2007, 06:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10993951#post10993951 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tylt33
Bubble algae = reef herpes. I have it too.

I have the cure!:) Too bad it is does more damage than the disease.:(

Twisted
10/17/2007, 07:07 PM
So

Your crab in my tank is = to setting fire to my pubic region?

Did that sound wrong to anyone else?

shelbiesdaddy
10/17/2007, 07:13 PM
Actually Chris borrowed him for a couple of weeks. Did the job he was supposed to and then pulled him out. It is when he runs out of bubble algae that he causes havoc.

boviac
10/18/2007, 11:12 AM
Yeah within a few days There was Zero bubble algae to be found anywhere that crab could reach. But yes, he did take to knocking things over. However, since my valonia outbreak was pretty strong, it started coming back shortly after Hermin was returned to his owner. I would suggest keeping him in there for a couple of weeks to ensure elimination. Further at the rate Hermin cleaned up the valonia as well as disturbed my sand, I imagine supplimental feeding would be needed once said items are 'cleaned'. But it sure is nice to know there is something that has aquired a taste for valonia out there. But it does come with a cost. Thanks again Dan & Melissa!

boviac
10/22/2007, 01:07 PM
Ok after the big learning experience I've acquired a reservation for the November meeting. I did this a while back but figured I would share this info.

Plus another flag/bump to the top for anyone to host their tank...:D

foodstamp
10/28/2007, 10:31 PM
kyletech your tanks are very nice glad i got the chance to see them anyone thats coming from chico to redding id highly recamend u stop by and see his........
id be up to showing off my tank but again im in redbluff its not a short drive from chico not much to look at either as i just started..

anyone trimming up there microalgee befor the next meeting? i just set up my fuge (25gallon) and would like to stock it with something other then a DSB :)

kinghokus420
10/29/2007, 01:02 AM
i have a big ol fat wad of caulerpa prolifera (i believe) that is yours if you want it. im switching to chaeto.

foodstamp
10/29/2007, 01:49 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11073179#post11073179 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kinghokus420
i have a big ol fat wad of caulerpa prolifera (i believe) that is yours if you want it. im switching to chaeto.

why u switching? why not run both?
all take it for sure or atlest some of it i wanna leave some room for chaeto....

kinghokus420
10/29/2007, 05:26 PM
i was listening to the 120gallons podcast lastnight and they strongly advised against keeping both where they can contact each other. something about trying to out-compete each other for territory vs nutrients. they do good when segregated just not touching i was only able to half listen from the kitchen while doing dishes. i have been thinking about going to straight chaeto for pod growth for a while and the podcast was the final nudge.

Twisted
10/29/2007, 05:43 PM
I know at the store I am at, we have two main refugiums with a cheato and grape calurpa mixed and they have been that way as far back as the store opened as far as I know, which was like 5 or 6 years ago. I know the last two years atleast.

Whats the 120 gallon podcast?

kinghokus420
10/29/2007, 06:04 PM
my mistake it was talkingreef. 120 gallons is a good show too.

http://www.talkingreef.com/

Underwaterparadise
11/02/2007, 05:34 PM
From personal expierence I advise AGAINST using anything but Cheato or Gracilaria. I had a 20g long full of zoa's until the calerpa went sexual and poisned the entire tank. IMO it is not worth the chance when cheato works better then any calerpa IME.

boviac
11/04/2007, 01:05 AM
Posted from Chico Reef Club from Revolutions (Joel):

Following this months reef club meeting at 7:00 pm Friday Nov. 9th @ Round Table Pizza on Pilsbury road, I will be having a reef tank dismantling party at my house. My wife is having Brain surgery and we do not want to be a slave to the maintenance of our system at this time in our lives A silent auction of some sort will be held for all livestock in the system and is a great chance to pick up some premium corals and marine fish. Also up for auction is an Ecosystem hang on 40 refugium. Livestock includes Acanstrea Lords, Orange crush Acan, Christmas tree Favities, True rose BTA (proven splitter), Large ORA blue tort Acro colony, xtra Large purple tri color acro colony, Two large Orange Montipora Capricornis colonies, Neon yellow montipora Cap colont, Huge Blastomusa Merleti Colony, Tons of orange ricordia floridas, amaxing Red brain and frogspawn, Two Yasa Hashi gobies, Bartlets Anthias, True Percula clown, Purple fire fish, 60 plus lbs of Marshal island liverock and much more. 10% percent of the sales will be donated to the Chico Reef club to help perpetuate its growth. Check out Revolutions tank at chicoreefclub.com for pictures of these items. Thanks and see you there...Joel

iairj84
11/04/2007, 02:36 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11112869#post11112869 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by boviac
Posted from Chico Reef Club from Revolutions (Joel):

Following this months reef club meeting at 7:00 pm Friday Nov. 9th @ Round Table Pizza on Pilsbury road, I will be having a reef tank dismantling party at my house. My wife is having Brain surgery and we do not want to be a slave to the maintenance of our system at this time in our lives A silent auction of some sort will be held for all livestock in the system and is a great chance to pick up some premium corals and marine fish. Also up for auction is an Ecosystem hang on 40 refugium. Livestock includes Acanstrea Lords, Orange crush Acan, Christmas tree Favities, True rose BTA (proven splitter), Large ORA blue tort Acro colony, xtra Large purple tri color acro colony, Two large Orange Montipora Capricornis colonies, Neon yellow montipora Cap colont, Huge Blastomusa Merleti Colony, Tons of orange ricordia floridas, amaxing Red brain and frogspawn, Two Yasa Hashi gobies, Bartlets Anthias, True Percula clown, Purple fire fish, 60 plus lbs of Marshal island liverock and much more. 10% percent of the sales will be donated to the Chico Reef club to help perpetuate its growth. Check out Revolutions tank at chicoreefclub.com for pictures of these items. Thanks and see you there...Joel

Wow! My prayers go out to your family! While I don't know how you feel I have had two really close friends and family members that had brain cancer and My prayers are surely with you!

How long do the meetings normally go? I got stuck working 6-9 friday and can't get anyone to take my shift. If I could make it after that I would. I don't have my tank ready yet but if one of the other members could hold some stuff for me I would buy what I can.

foodstamp
11/04/2007, 03:00 PM
im speachless.........my family just found out same sort of news. my sister has legends on the back of her brain (Multiple Sclerosis) they wont do anytype of surgery as of now! i feel your pain joel and my prayers are with your wife too.....

i get off work around 8:20 so i cant get to the meeting tell 8:45 either but dont want to miss the meeting like last month & a chance at some nice livestock for a good couse, iairj84 my tank is just a month n a half old and im a new"B" (so far so good) but i would be will to hold some stuff for you at your own risk i just dont have the experance to give you a 100% g-tee

kinghokus420
11/04/2007, 04:03 PM
wow joel.. i know its been said, but if theres anything my family can do for you, babysitting etc, just let me know. our prayers are with you.
-josh

boviac
11/05/2007, 07:46 PM
Unfortunatley Joel told me he has trouble with RC so I don't know if he is able to read your supportive comments - nonetheless, I'll be sure to let him know in person.

So please be sure to save cash and bring it to the next meeting to help Joel out.

tropoasis
11/06/2007, 05:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11105112#post11105112 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Underwaterparadise
From personal expierence I advise AGAINST using anything but Cheato or Gracilaria. I had a 20g long full of zoa's until the calerpa went sexual and poisned the entire tank. IMO it is not worth the chance when cheato works better then any calerpa IME.

I agree 100% !!!

A small amount of Caulerpa for ornamental purposes in most tanks is not a problem.

For filtration I would not take the chance that it may at anytime, go sexual and crash your tank if you have enough of it.

Twisted
11/06/2007, 05:57 PM
Hey Frank glad to see you found us in the little Chico club. I wanted to apologize for my lack of hospitality. You came up to Redding and dropped off Corals for my nieghbor and I, and I failed to invite you across the street to my house to see my tank.
I am not sure why I didn't, but hopefully I will be able to order a couple things from you in a couple months and make up for it when you come then.
I am going to save up enough to by a variety of zoanthids from you this time, but it's going to be awhile.
I actually had some zoanthids I wanted you to check out because I can never get a good picture of them, and have not seen them before. I am going to seperate a few of them into another container tonight and see if I can get a top down picture of them when they open up.

tropoasis
11/06/2007, 08:40 PM
If you'll be around this weekend, I should be up there. Be happy to go check out your tank and the Zoos :)

Twisted
11/06/2007, 11:25 PM
I will be in Chico for the Chico club meeting Friday night, should be here almost all day Saturday got some guys comming to put in carpet . Not sure about Sunday.

boviac
11/07/2007, 01:17 AM
Hey Frank! Our Chico meeting is on Friday night so I'm not sure how you make it up here (drive/fly) but you're more than welcome to come by our club meeting! Chico isn't that far out of the way from Sac. Just take 99 N to Chico and continue 99N to Red Bluff then connect back to 5 to Redding.

By the way it was good to see you again at The Deep.

-Chris

kyletech
11/07/2007, 01:55 AM
Frank I sent you an Email @ you Coral Road Trips (Frank) email adress

tropoasis
11/07/2007, 01:18 PM
Hey Chris!

Great seeing you as well.....

Thanks for the invite, I would love to attend, however I have a day job M~F and the only way I can make it up early enough for your meeting is if I take the whole day off from work since it's an 8 hr drive.

If you would like me to come up and give a presentation for the club, we can work something out and I can arrange for the day off from work.

I will be up this weekend (Sat~Sun) in Redding, so I'll be passing up the 5 early Saturday :)

Matt, definitely can do, I'll drop you an email for the details :) Thanks!

Frank

foodstamp
11/09/2007, 12:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11135373#post11135373 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tropoasis

I will be up this weekend (Sat~Sun) in Redding, so I'll be passing up the 5 early Saturday :)

depinding on how early..... all wave dranking my coffiee as you fly by redbluff... hahah

tropoasis
11/10/2007, 02:28 AM
Early when I leave..... not that early when I get there :)