PDA

View Full Version : ATTN. Jonathan!!!!

Legion
10/22/2002, 05:35 AM
Hey Jonathan,

The page looks great, where did you get that pic on the front page?

Anyhow hate to do this but I need you to yank my member link, That page no longer exists and is a dead link. I am in the process of building a new page but wont have it complete for a lil while so its best if you just pull mine, till I get this new one. I know how much I hate dead links myself.

Thanks alot

Chris

I will let you know the new aol screenname and web address very soon, just want to make sure its gonna work for me.

Legion
10/22/2002, 06:45 AM
^

edsiajb
10/22/2002, 01:36 PM
Chris,
The images were hijacked from GARF (I didn't think they would mind...I will be adding photo credits and links). There tanks look really good. I know some reefers consider what they are doing to be sort of unorthodox but their results are great.
I have killed your link with a brief explanation. Let me know when you have the new site ready.
Jonathan

Legion
10/22/2002, 07:09 PM
Thanks,

Yeah I thought it looked an awfull lot like a GARF tank:D

I will have a new webpage up and running soon.

edsiajb
10/22/2002, 11:25 PM
I had to yank the photos...GARF would not give permission! I don't understand why. I thought they would welcome a little free promotion and advertising from another organization. Its not like we were going to profit from them or something. Makes me tempted to remove their link... Anyway, that is the first time I have ever been turned down in a situation like that.

Legion
10/22/2002, 11:34 PM
Thats silly, but if there is one thing I have learned in 30 years is that dont put anything past anyone. Forget them we will get our site looking good without their help.

BTW- Can you still get your hands on thoses 40 gallon tanks, and for how much longer if so? I am thinking when I get back from Myrtle beach I am going to do a bit of upgrading to my system and make a closed loop. Are they drilled near the top so I can use them as a sump and do you know the dimensions? Thanks Jonathan:)

edsiajb
10/22/2002, 11:47 PM
Are ya'll moving back to SC? The tanks should still be available...they are approx. 48"L x 16"W x 12"H and are drilled at both top corners on the rear glass. They still had over 100 last time I asked.

Legion
10/22/2002, 11:52 PM
Eh 48" long thats not gonna fit under my stand, guess I will have to go with a 30 gallon long or something.

No No,,we are just going to visit my parents the first week in Nov. We will be back on the 5th. Actually we are looking for a place for them to move around our area. But no way id ever move back to that rat trap.

edsiajb
10/23/2002, 12:05 AM
They also have some smaller tanks that are like 36" long...should be a similar set up and the same price. I am getting Tiens old corner tank so my upgrade is on the horizon too. We are going to be installing new carpet throughout the house so it sounds like the perfect time to me for a swap out...

Legion
10/23/2002, 07:07 AM
Jonathan,

Got my new page ready thanks for yanking the last one.

here it is for some reason I cant make it into a link though??:mad:

http://hometown.aol.com/legion12572/myhomepage/index.html

Legion
10/23/2002, 07:10 AM
haahaa oh well it did make a link well there it is thanks again:)

edsiajb
10/23/2002, 09:06 AM
Chris,
Got your link updated on the site. Looks good.

Legion
10/23/2002, 04:59 PM
Thanks again Jonathan, I appreciate it alot.

Legion
10/23/2002, 05:05 PM
Here is an idea for a logo, it is simple yet direct I think. I can take constructive criticsim so flame on:D

edsiajb
10/23/2002, 07:47 PM
OK...I like it...I think it is the best one you have come up with so far (haha). Can you move the photo down about 1/4" inch? That way the eye of the tang would be visible. Also, is there any way to incorporate the Alabama flag into the bottom of the image?

Legion
10/23/2002, 11:03 PM
Haha,

Hey man I told you I was doing a bit poorly, cut me some slack:p

Sure I can do that just give me a day, if there is another image you want faded out in place of the tang shot let me know and send it to me!!!

The only problem with it being so small is you are gonna have a hard time with any kind of detail, however let me see what I can do.:)

edsiajb
10/23/2002, 11:25 PM
I really like the "AR" design. What if the logo were a rectangle (like a tank) and faded left to right from the flag to a reef with the large "AR" overlay and "Alabama Reefers" or "AlabamaReefers.org" at the bottom? I like the font you used for the name at the bottom.

Legion
10/23/2002, 11:33 PM
Thats a good idea, is there a particular tank you want as the backdrop, I feel guilty using mine, and wont use someone elses without permission for obivious reasons. Once again though the 1/4" is really going to be hard to pull off with any kind of detail at all, the pixels at that size do give much room for any distinction of image and will looks fairly blured. I can do what alot of business do and make 2 different logos with a similar theme, 1(smaller) for cards and what not, the 2nd(larger) maybe rectangular about 1-2" height and 2-3" lenght for webpage etc.....

My main concerns is the image to use as backdrop its not fair to everyone if I use a tank shot of mine so ideas would be good.

and 2nd the size thing let me know what you think about my ideas on both, thanks

Legion
10/23/2002, 11:34 PM
Also see if you can get Brad in on this thread I would like his input as well since he is serious as we are:)

edsiajb
10/23/2002, 11:51 PM
OK. I will try to get Brad's input. As far as the photo to use in the background, what about using one of the TOTM shots (with permission, of course)? I still like your original design and now we have an entire page dedicated to it at http://alabamareefers.org/new_logo.html

Legion
10/23/2002, 11:55 PM
Good call, I will look through the previous TOTM's for ones that may work and ask the keepers if it will be ok to use their shot. I will have something to work with sometime tommorow evening.:)

Brad Gardner
10/24/2002, 09:30 AM
Oh no! Not a yellow tang. We might get in trouble with the tang police.:D :D :D

Love the "AR" design!!! I agree with the disscussion so far. Alabama flag would cool.

Off the top of my head I can't think of anything else to add.

Good job Legion.

Side Note: what do you guys think of my new signature quote I just added. Found it last night reading Tullock's book.

Legion
10/24/2002, 10:55 AM
Thanks Brad,

I will be working on the re-design today after I go Wallmarting:D

I have David Playfair's tank in my mind, and if noone has any problems with his system as the backdrop design I am going to pm him and ask if I may use a shot of his tank. Hes got a large diversity of color/life and its more fair not to use one of our tanks as Jonathan and I have discussed.

Like the quote Brad.:thumbsup:

edsiajb
10/24/2002, 10:56 AM
Brad,
I was going to send you a PM for input on this thread...thanks.
Jonathan

Legion
10/24/2002, 06:28 PM
David Playfair gave me/us permission to use a shot of his reef in our logo. I looked at alot of TOTM's and members tanks last night and his was in the back of my mind the whole time. Personally I think its is perfect- lots of diversity of color and inhabitants. So if noone has any problems with a shot of his tank somehow in the logo, I will go ahead and start working on the ideas we have all come up with.

edsiajb
10/24/2002, 08:55 PM
Go for it! And thanks for the effort.
Jonathan

Legion
10/24/2002, 11:19 PM
No problem at all.

I will start working on it.

Brad Gardner
10/25/2002, 03:24 PM
Go for it! Your our webmaster!!! You rule!

Legion
10/25/2002, 07:59 PM
Logo 1

Legion
10/25/2002, 08:06 PM
Logo 2

Legion
10/25/2002, 08:10 PM
Logo 3

Legion
10/25/2002, 08:11 PM
I already know which on I like the best, but I am going to wait and see what your guys like before revaling my choice. Let me know what you think and any changes you want made:)

Legion
10/25/2002, 08:19 PM
As I was designing this I was looking through some of the shots of David's tank I have and personally I like this as a background better. Let me know if you agree and I will replace it with the shot I was using.

edsiajb
10/25/2002, 11:36 PM
Wow...do I really have to pick just one? I do like 2 and 3 better than 1. I also like the alternate image better for the background. Now for my questions (and I don't imply for even a minute that I am a designer) regarding design number 2: Can the "AR" design be situated in the lower left of the alternate image (the darker area of that image)...and can it be "clear" instead of black? I am thinking that if the tank image appeared to overlay the flag and if the "AR" were "clear" (like you could see the white background and red stripe of the flag going through the "AR" (If so, maybe you could keep the photo at its full intesity without lightening it up any)? And while I am at it...can the image just "fade" into the flag or does it need to have the black outline? I really think you are on to something with this design...let me know if my questions/ideas sound possible.
Thanks again

Legion
10/26/2002, 01:00 AM
I agree,,,I was more happy with logos 2 & 3 cant decide which I like better though.

Let me see what I can do with your suggestions,,,Ohhhhhhhhh Brad wheres your voice in this:D

harbingerofthefish
10/27/2002, 08:08 PM
Legion- not to hone in your territory, but I liked the previous idea of the flag fading into a reef pic. So I took a stab, borrowing your previous work (hope you don't mind), and came up with this. I did take the liberty of changing the font color so that when scaled down some the "alabama reefers" part remains visible. Just tooling around, and who knows, one day I can make the 8 hour round trip to B'ham.

-Alan

Legion
10/27/2002, 11:39 PM
No dosent bother me in the least, anyone involved in the club has a right to a opinion in this:D

JONATHAN!!!!!!!!!!! BRAD!!!!!!!!!!!! Yohoooo where art thou??

Heres a new one I did tonight.

edsiajb
10/27/2002, 11:50 PM
WOW...the eye candy has arrived. Both of the designs are great! Thanks to both of you for your efforts!

Can we use both? Brad? Anyone else with input?

edsiajb
10/28/2002, 12:39 AM
Chris,
Can you create your latest design in a couple of smaller sizes?

Legion
10/28/2002, 07:06 AM
Yea I can resize it, thats not a problem. However here is one I like better than them all. But from the looks of the page looks like theres no need to post it, seems like a logos been choosen already.

Here it is anyhow

Legion
10/28/2002, 07:16 AM

Legion
10/28/2002, 07:20 AM

edsiajb
10/28/2002, 09:01 AM
Chris,
I was trying out the images for size...when I went back to restore the original configuration, my connection dropped and I could not reestablish it (BellSouth ISP) so I went to sleep. Anyway, no decision has been made...I was just playing with the site. Your new smaller logo looks really good!

Brad Gardner
10/28/2002, 09:44 AM
Sorry guys or girls...I do not have a computer at home so I am just now on-line. Man, you all put many great choices out ther. Let me look at them for a lillte whileover my coffee:D

Legion
10/28/2002, 04:23 PM
Jonathan,

Personally I think the lastest one would look great, especially if I can match the page background color where it just blends in. I am pretty sure I can so if you like it let me know and I will match the colors.

W/B - Brad:D

Brad Gardner
10/28/2002, 05:19 PM
Man I can't make up my mind....

I think I like this one the best

http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=844234

It is really colorful

Legion
10/28/2002, 06:01 PM
I do like that one also, but still leaning towards the latest one I did, if nothing else I can use the one we dont pick for our membership cards. Im gonna go ahead and match the background of the page for the last one I did in a lil while so you all can see it. I think the reason I like the latest one more than any is due to the fact its got every facet that we were talking about coral/fish/flag/.org and its not in a distinct border like a box or rectangle. JMO

edsiajb
10/28/2002, 07:52 PM
I like both and thats final...haha! If you could match the background on the latest design that would work great. I think you are on a roll!

edsiajb
10/28/2002, 09:10 PM
Chris,
I just had an idea. While you are matching the background color, could you add the "AlabamaReefers.org" in your "cool" font in a larger size out to the right? The Site Builder software I am using is very limited (especially with fonts) and I will just remove the current "AlabamaReefers.org" and use your image across the entire top of each page. Do you think this would be better?
Thanks

Legion
10/29/2002, 12:26 AM
Will do I will have something for you tommorow

Brad Gardner
10/29/2002, 11:09 AM
Thanks for doing this. I think any of the choices are fine.

Quote Legion:

"W/B - Brad"

What the devil is W/B?

Legion
10/29/2002, 04:45 PM
No problem, I love designing things it is my job as well.

haahaa w/b - welcome back

I think im online to much the other day my wife said something funny and I replied- Lmao:rolleyes:

Brad Gardner
10/29/2002, 05:04 PM
I was going nuts trying to fiqure that one out...I think we all our on-line way too much!

I may be an idiot, but where is the free mini-jet in the IO salt bucket. Way down in the salt??

edsiajb
10/29/2002, 05:20 PM
Brad,
The free MiniJet is usually from about halfway down to all the way at the bottom.

Brad Gardner
10/29/2002, 05:22 PM
Thanks..I will wash my hands real good and take the plunge

Legion
10/29/2002, 06:30 PM
Man, thats a odd color to match on the page. I think I got it if not its really close.

Try This

Legion
10/30/2002, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by edsiajb
Chris,
I just had an idea. While you are matching the background color, could you add the "AlabamaReefers.org" in your "cool" font in a larger size out to the right? The Site Builder software I am using is very limited (especially with fonts) and I will just remove the current "AlabamaReefers.org" and use your image across the entire top of each page. Do you think this would be better?
Thanks

Like this?:)

Brad Gardner
10/30/2002, 09:27 AM
Look whats under my name!:D In honor of our club and Legion's work.

edsiajb
10/30/2002, 09:55 AM
Chris,
Thanks...that looks great. The software will only allow one image at the top so I am going to try and combine this with the image we had at the top. Thanks for all your work!

Brad Gardner
10/30/2002, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Brad Gardner
Look whats under my name!:D In honor of our club and Legion's work.

So sorry, and edsiajb's hard work! Forgot would built the web site.

edsiajb
10/30/2002, 10:48 AM
Brad,
Thanks but I don't have near the investment of time in this that Chris does...how could we have been so lucky to get a member who is a graphic designer by trade?

Chris,
I have changed the background color of the site to white...no more attempts at color matching! I hate to ask but could you redo the "AlabamaReefers.org" with a white background? Also, could you incorporate elements of the logo with the flag and tang into it?
Thanks

Brad Gardner
10/30/2002, 01:31 PM
I just got back from Tein's. I AM NOW A POOR MAN.:mad:

edsiajb
10/30/2002, 03:13 PM
Tien said I missed you by about 5 minutes. Will you be going by tomorrow?

Brad Gardner
10/30/2002, 03:19 PM
Just might...I can spend more money. No seriously, I really need to get my bulbs and pay for them. What time do you get there usually?

Does Legion live in the Birmingham area?

Legion
10/30/2002, 05:15 PM
Hey I dont mind at all doing this. Thanks for the kind words though:)

Jonathan, I can redo the whole thing using the last logo I made and enlarging the alabamareefers.org to make one large top header, which I think Is what you want if im not mistaken?

Let me know

edsiajb
10/30/2002, 08:03 PM
Brad,
I usually go there around 11 - 11:30...

Chris,
That would be great. I think that is what I was trying to say. I am not sure what the size of the top area of the page is...just create what you think would look good and if someone else doesn't like it I'll take care of them.

Legion
10/30/2002, 09:20 PM
Try this, if its to big let me know and I can size it down without a problem.

edsiajb
10/30/2002, 11:31 PM
Its not too big...too good maybe but not too big! I put it on the site to try it out. What do ya'll think? I played around with the site colors a little creating a custom scheme. Are the colors better or worse?

Legion
10/31/2002, 12:18 AM
Jonathan thanks for the compliment.

I dont want to sound conceited

But I really like how it finally came together, plus I really like the color you picked for the page. When I get back from MB next week let me know if you want anything designed for anything else on the pages following the homepage.:)

Legion
10/31/2002, 12:22 AM
P.s. if this is the Logo we are gonna go with let me know for sure. I promised David I would show him the final product since he had a hand in it as well. Hes a really great guy BTW

edsiajb
10/31/2002, 12:45 AM
This logo is good with me - I couldn't imagine anyone not liking it. I give it my vote. Brad? Anyone else? (Is there anyone else?) I am already working on a club flyer with this design at the top.

edsiajb
10/31/2002, 12:46 AM
Will you be online while in MB?

Legion
10/31/2002, 12:49 AM
Probally not,

I havent seen my parents in a while and want to spend as much time as possible with them. Tommorow evening will be the last im on RC untill tue. night or wed. afternoon

edsiajb
10/31/2002, 01:54 AM
I understand and hope ya'll have a good trip. We were expecting a long awaited visit from my parents this weekend but I had to call and cancel. Seems that BellSouth thinks I need to spend the weekend with a 4.2 million dollar Sun server that Sun cannot properly repair...I just keep wondering how I got in the middle of this.

Brad Gardner
10/31/2002, 09:15 AM
Great looking logo. I say go with it! Where is my link on the members page?: :(

edsiajb you are working on a flyer? Great! Tein gets a lot of foot traffic in his store so we would probally get some members from that.

Have a good trip Legion. Who is Dave?

Brad Gardner
10/31/2002, 09:16 AM
Brad,
I usually go there around 11 - 11:30...

Chris,
That would be great. I think that is what I was trying to say. I am not sure what the size of the top area of the page is...just create what you think would look good and if someone else doesn't like it I'll take care of them.

I will be at Teins around 11:45 today. Hope to meet you.

edsiajb
10/31/2002, 11:12 AM
Brad,
Regarding your link, did you send me a link? If you did, I apologize because I don't know where I put it. Hope to see you today at Tien's.

BTW, I believe David is the guy from south Alabama who also submitted a logo design.

Brad Gardner
10/31/2002, 11:15 AM
Brad,
Regarding your link, did you send me a link? If you did, I apologize because I don't know where I put it. Hope to see you today at Tien's.

BTW, I believe David is the guy from south Alabama who also submitted a logo design.

I need to go to Home Depot first then to Teins. I think there is a HD near him correct? I need to get a food-grade plastic trash can to start mixing the water for mt new 65.

edsiajb
10/31/2002, 11:16 AM
Brad,
Did you just want your link to go to your email @proassurance.com?

Brad Gardner
10/31/2002, 11:22 AM
Yes, just use e-mail...I never sent a link cause I do not have a page...but I do now alabamareefers.org!!!

edsiajb
10/31/2002, 11:37 AM
Yes, Home Depot is right across HWY 150...you can probably see it from Tien's parking lot.

Brad Gardner
10/31/2002, 11:39 AM
Thanks...I knew one had to be there....everything else is there!

edsiajb
10/31/2002, 12:31 PM
Brad,
Your link is there...check it out.

edsiajb
10/31/2002, 12:32 PM
OK guys...the site is starting to look better. Now we need some content!

Legion
10/31/2002, 01:41 PM
Thanks Brad,
Glad you like the logo also. Actually the "David" I am talking about is David Playfair, who contributed his reef shot for me to use in designing the logo.

Well I am leaving tomorrow morning so I will see you all back again either tue. night or more likely wed. afternoon ( gonna be tired from the trip )

Take care and be thinking about the next meeting date, we should all get together when I get back.

Brad Gardner
10/31/2002, 04:20 PM
I met Johathan today @ Teins and we had a nice chat. We decided that we would nail down a day and time for our next meeting early next week. Hope to meet you Legion when you get back.

Johnathon, here is the link I told you about. Can you put under my name in the members section and say something like " Proud Owner of the Arrowhead Pygmy Wrasse". I don't think you can get just the photo. It is copyrighted.

Thanks!!!

http://www.themarinecenter.com/wetmorella.htm

Legion
10/31/2002, 04:58 PM
Hope to meet you soon as well Brad.

I say lets try and all get together the weekend after I get back.

Hey Jonathan, whatever happened to Robert ( I thinks that was his name ) that was there at the first meeting? He said he was going to be getting onto RC and havent seen him, do you know him and if so is he still interested in the club?

Brad Gardner
10/31/2002, 05:02 PM
We talked about this guy...Johathen still sees him and says he is real interesed in joing the club....he said he is a real reefer addict:D

Can't wait to meet him to.

Legion
10/31/2002, 05:05 PM
Yeah, he seemed like a really nice guy. I found out he ended up with one of my frilly green shroom frags I sold to Tein.