PDA

View Full Version : Cyclop-eeze Experiences

Corpus Callosum
10/20/2002, 04:42 PM
I was thinking a few people should have tried this by now and we can share experiences whether positive/negative. I just picked up some this morning and my fish seem to like it a lot. One of which is a relatively new yellow clown goby who hasn't really been eating anything else.

Who else tried the cyclopeeze?

-Mike

Corpus Callosum
10/20/2002, 04:51 PM
Here it is in a shotglass, for idea of particle size (800 microns).

http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=831614

MIKE NY
10/21/2002, 07:10 PM
Hi Mike, I have only had the stuff for about a week now and I fed the tank about three or four times. It floats in the water column for awhile and everything seems to eat it.

JB NY
10/24/2002, 07:17 PM
Did I miss a post or something? Where did you get the cyclopeeze?

Corpus Callosum
10/24/2002, 07:45 PM
um, as well as there being a post in the main forum, I emailed everyone on my mailing list which includes you :) . $12.99 for a 3 ounce popsticle stick from Fishy, Inc. Pricy, but a little goes a long way, as you already know.

ZippyBoy
10/24/2002, 08:04 PM
I've been using the stuff for about a month. I feed 1/2 hr after lights go out, about every other day.

I've noticed that the minute it hits the water, all the night time critters immediately come out and start searching the tank. I have a few fungia that seem to open their mouths wide after feeding and I have another LPS (that sprouted from the skeleton of an open brain coral that died a year ago) that fully entends itself as well.

I'm not sure what its doing for the SPS, crocea, sponges, fans, water filtering cuke or polyps. I was feeding frozen daphnia and the folks at Reef and Fin talked me into trying a tube as the cyclopeeze is made from marine bugs.

I paid alot more for the stuff up in Stamford :( , hoping it does some good for the SPS.

Keith

JB NY
10/24/2002, 08:26 PM
I've been working too much lately, I must have missed it. Last I remember reading, was that Fishy, inc was planning on getting some. Thanks I'll try and get out there and pick up some.

Corpus Callosum
10/24/2002, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by ZippyBoy
...as the cyclopeeze is made from marine bugs.

Actually, I believe the cyclop-eeze are a decapod which are cultured in one of the arctic lakes. Whether this is just a freshwater lake or one of the 'salt lakes' (meaning marine), I'm not quite sure. It shouldn't really matter, as either way they are dead while entering our tanks, and they have a high nutritional content as well as those handy natural attractants plus lots of HUFA's.

Joe, In the front there is a mini-freezer, dig down on the right and you will see a box of cyclop-eeze popsicle sticks.

ZippyBoy
10/26/2002, 09:36 PM
sci33,

You are right...here are the details from their web site

"Cyclop-eeze are a selectively bred, biologically engineered microorganism which are cultured in a pristine arctic lake. The Cyclop-eeze are a decapod (10 legged) microscopic crustacean that are instantly characterized by their intense “blood orange� coloration. In fact, the Cyclop-eeze contain the highest known concentration of the fundamental and critical biological pigment Astaxanthene, accounting for their striking coloration. Complimenting this incredible pigmentation are previously unknown levels of the Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acids (HUFA’s) especially those of the famed “omega-3� family. These highest levels of omega-3 HUFA’s are essential for larval aquaculture applications and typically exceed forty times (40 X) those obtained from hatching the highest quality Artemia eggs.
Cyclop-eeze are voraciously consumed by all animals because they are very rich in the attractant Betaine as well as other palatability factors. Experimental test results at leading academic institutions indicate that the Cyclop-eeze are highly stimulatory to the immune systems of most aquatic animals thus leading to greatly improved survival. Significant improvement in growth rates [an exceptional “Feed Conversion Ratio� (FCR)] indicates that Cyclop-eeze contain exceptional benefits, which meet and exceed traditional feedings of Artemia nauplii and inert, formulated diets."

and the web address...

http://www.cyclop-eeze.com/

Corpus Callosum
10/26/2002, 09:40 PM
Info from their website always sounds good because theyre trying to market the product, here's an article on it the cyclop-eeze instead:

http://www.aquaculturemag.com/siteenglish/interneted/products/ARGENT.PDF

The article says the lake has a bunch of very 'unique' properties, allowing the culture of the cyclop-eeze. One of these is that even though its a lake, the salinity is about 80 ppt. Which I guess would be around 1.060 specific gravity. As well as the pH being very acidic around 3.0. Although the cyclop-eeze do infact come from salty waters, they are not the same 'marine' water of the ocean.

Stix
11/07/2002, 09:04 PM
Will there be some of this cyclopseeze available at the meeting on the 23rd ?

MIKE NY
11/07/2002, 09:11 PM
yea, Les at Fishy Inc. sells the stuff for $12.99 for a 3oz frozen tube. I bought some more this past Saturday and there were about ahalf dozen left and he said he was ordering more.

Mike

Musipilot
11/10/2002, 01:58 AM
Think a mandarin will eat it?

Corpus Callosum
11/10/2002, 02:13 AM
From what I've read (no experiences with mandarins) they're big on live foods (meaning pods), and sometimes they won't even eat live brine shrimp. But I guess it is worth a try.

Musipilot
11/10/2002, 02:22 AM
We have a 2 year old mandarin that we keep healthy by switching out some rocks to keep the pod population up. He also eats live brine (when he can get it), but I'm always looking for more food sources for him.

Justjoe
11/26/2002, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by sci33
From what I've read (no experiences with mandarins) they're big on live foods (meaning pods), and sometimes they won't even eat live brine shrimp. But I guess it is worth a try.

I have seen mandarins pick at cyclops that were caught in the mucus of other inverts, etc. Its also a good food source for young bangaii cardinals.

Corpus Callosum
12/08/2002, 04:49 PM
My 5 gobies are going crazy over this stuff.. at first they picked them one by one but now the pair of threadfins I got just open up their mouths really wide and sift a bunch out of the water.

zebrasoma17
01/14/2003, 05:28 PM
Just thought I'd bring this one back up since there's an interesting article in the February issue of FAMA about Cyclop-eeze. It's by Robert DiMarco and it's entitled "What Has Ten Legs and Improves Your Complexion- A New Food Source for Freshwater and Marine Fish".

In the article the author states that Cyclop-eeze contains 40x the HUFAs that newly hatched artemia have. He also states that they contain the red pigment Astaxanthene at 3,000 to 7,500 ppm compared to 31 ppm for artemia nauplii.

He goes on to say "I believe that this product has been a well-kept secret for too long!".

Anyway, my fish have been loving it. Thanks Joe Y. for turning us on to it.

Al

Corpus Callosum
01/14/2003, 05:36 PM
If this was supposed to be a secret then Joe did a shi-tty job of keeping it as one :D

DgenR8
01/24/2003, 02:25 PM
I LOVE this stuff!
I target feed all my LPS with it and their color never looked better. My Sun coral is finally growing, and although I recently added my Crocea clam, it looks very good, and I give some of the credit to Cyclop-eeze for that too.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: