PDA

View Full Version : For All BAS Bidders...

Stix
10/20/2002, 11:31 AM
BAS is a great thing for us Brooklyn reefers. Especially the auctions. The problem I see though is that people are way overbidding. The point of a reef club auction is to get things cheaper than you would at the store. A mandarinfish went for like $40 at the last auction!!! I've even seen a Kenya Tree frag go for over $20. Come on people, don't mess up the market for everyone. Let's stay away from bidding more than it would cost in stores. Do your research. Don't show up with $200 in your pocket and impulse buy a single zooanthid for $200. Yea, it's fun to bid but let's stay reasonable. If we all bid more than it is worth, it's not a deal! DUH!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

LOVEMYREEF
11/11/2002, 08:25 AM
i have to agree with Stix on this one...ive seen people just go out of control with bidding... let us not forget we are all members of the same society..soo if i get a good deal on a coral.. believe me you that as soon as that puppy can be fragged im gonna frag it and bring it back to BAS so someone else gets a good deal.. lets try to make all our tanks beautiful while at the same time trying to keep some of the costs down.. because we all know how expensive this hobby is.. espically when your tank or tanks are over 100Gal:p

DgenR8
12/07/2002, 03:45 PM
I've gotten some really good deals at the BAS auctions, but have also seen things sell for prices that you'd spit at your LFS guy if he priced the same thing at that price! :eek1: :eek2:
I'd really like to see more of the club members here, at RC. I think a lot of them would benefit greatly.
Not for nothin' Stix, I see a lot of these items start at at near where they should end. How much was first bid on that $40.00 Manderin? You can get them in almost any LFS :( for $20.00, maybe $25.00. I agree with you that we are buying at auction, largely for the benefit of getting a good price, and that the starting prices should be lower, and people should not bid ridiculous amounts. We should, however consider what is being done with that money and strike a balance, if possible. The speakers we really want to hear from, don't speak for free. I have left every meeting with some new information. Sometimes, that new information was "this *cough* "expert" is an Idiot" but in most cases, I learned something I could apply in my system.
I'd really like to see Dr. Ron speak there, but I think the club would have to sell an awfull lot of $40.00 donated Manderins before we could get him there, (NO, I'm not really advocating selling boat loads of Manderins) figuring that the best costs more. ;) Not to mention that I don't expect the Aquarium is allowing us to meet there for free every month.
The club isn't making big money on membership fees, it's gotta come from somewhere.

Delmarr
02/08/2003, 09:58 PM
I have to say I truly disagree with the original post. I have won well over 50 auctions durring the last couple of years with atleast 90% being so far below retail as to be at times rediculas. Additionally a large portion of the coral frags come from members tanks and are proven to do well in captivity. Anyone who has purched corals from many of the LFS available to our hobby know that many times its little more then a crap shoot as to how long these corals survive. Proven corals cost more yet 90% of the time we get them for less then the cost wild caught " crap shoot' variety. Are there times when the auctions start a bit high? absolutly! IMO this is usaully due to an auctioneer who has little to no interest or knolege about the marine side of the hobby and just doesn't know any better, or the fact that they have to rush the auction due to members and staff being unable to sit down or be quiet when asked repeatedly, putting us far behind schedule.
Lastly I do not believe that the auctions are run soley that members can grab up items at the cheapest costs, the auctions
are how BAS generates the income needed to cover the cost of running a great club (check out the Annual Report)
I truly respect those members who are willing to pay retail and at time higher prices, and if you listen closly many times you will hear them state while digging into thier pocket "hey, it doesn't matter, its for the club"

Delmarr

JohnL
02/16/2003, 10:08 PM
I'm with Delmarr. Those donations go to pay for the great speakers and free refreshments we have at the meetings.

Let's have lots of frags for March 14th with Eric Borneman :)

marinefish
02/18/2003, 01:14 PM
Hi, I am replying to the people who think that our auctions start too high. I am an officier of BAS, I attend every auction and auction pricies start at $ 2 to $5 according to the item and proceed accordingly to the bidders wishes. No one pushes the prices and the final winner wins the item. I bid on corals and fish and deceide what my limit would be. It's up to each person to determine how much he will spend on an item. People would like Ron to come back, he was here a while ago and we have a video tape in our video tape library which can be rented at an time. At last years May event a member asked me to get Anthony Calfo to speak, and we started our new season with Anthony Calfo. to a full house. We are now planning next years schedule. Contact us if you have any suggestions contact our hot line or web- site. Thank you.
:)

mpisciotti
02/18/2003, 08:57 PM
was just browsing threw and found this club of brooklyn reef keepers i am also a reef keeper and live in brooklyn was wonder how to join the club and would like to come to the next meeting very intrested if anyone can haelpme please drop me a line a mpisciotti@msn.com

thanks

JohnL
02/19/2003, 01:51 AM
marinefish you tell'm man :thumbsup: No trash talking about my reef club here :hammer: I do agree that a lot of people bid way too high ;) but I do enjoy seeing my frags sell for $50.

mpisciotti Brooklyn Aquarium Society Web Site (http://www.brooklynaquariumsociety.org) You can sign-up at the door or pay a small admission fee.

Be there people, this will be the meeting of the last 2 years, trust me ;)

marinefish
02/19/2003, 06:04 PM
Thank you John for all your support, Bernie

JohnL
02/19/2003, 08:04 PM
No problem Bernie. Would your tangs like some more macroalgae?

marinefish
02/19/2003, 10:16 PM
That would be great, yours is the Best my tangs and others have ever had, Bernie

Pseudo Boy
02/23/2003, 11:51 AM
Marinefish,

Not all bids start at $5. "I" start all of the bids at $5. I love the bidding wars. I go for the excitement, variety of goods (donated by ESV and other companies) and the company of fellow reefers. The last auction was way out of hand as far as bidding went. Some of that was due to me and you Bernie. I enjoy bidding with you because I know it goes for a good cause. If everything sold for $2 and $3 dollars, there would be no BAS, speakers, refreshments, hall to meet in nor anything else. It is for a good cause. If you don't like the price that things are going for then don't bid.

That is why it is an auction and not a retail outlet. Now as far as the $95 clam :rolleyes: That was just too funny. I almost broke down laughing :lolspin:

Just wait until the next meeting. It's my birthday and I need to fill my new tank :thumbsup:

Hope to see you all there.

Later,

Kasei:smokin:

marinefish
02/23/2003, 07:28 PM
I too are looking foward to the Eric meeting, see you soon, Bernie

marinefish
02/23/2003, 08:35 PM
And to you pseudo boy HAPPY BIRTHDAY, but do not expect me give it to CHEAP:bum: :)

DgenR8
02/23/2003, 08:51 PM
I have been really looking forward to this meeting since I found out that my co-Moderator, and general coral GOD was going to be the speaker. I since realized that I have airline tickets already booked, and I will be on an airplane heading home from Puerto Rico when the meeting happens :(
I know there'll be a video, but actually meeting Eric would have meant a lot to me.

Pseudo Boy
02/24/2003, 01:38 AM
Thanks Bernie,

looking forward to sitting next to you. I promise I won't smoke my cigar :rolleyes: and it is never cheap with you ....

Hey Dgen, what do you mean you can't make it. What time does your flight land ? I will come and get you. Bring the luggage with you. :D It won't be a meeting without you:sad1:

I will try to video tape it if I can remember to bring my camera.

Later people,

Kasei:smokin:

JohnL
02/24/2003, 03:22 AM
Originally posted by DgenR8
I since realized that I have airline tickets already booked, and I will be on an airplane heading home from Puerto Rico when the meeting happens :(

Where are your priorities, man :lol:

DgenR8
02/24/2003, 07:16 AM
I told my wife we had to come home earlier, but changing reservations now would be big $$$$. :mad:

radiata
03/06/2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Pseudo Boy
Not all bids start at $5. "I" start all of the bids at $5. I love the bidding wars. I go for the excitement, variety of goods (donated by ESV and other companies) and the company of fellow reefers. The last auction was way out of hand as far as bidding went. Kasei,

Calling them "bidding wars" is far too kind. I call it a "feeding frenzy", like dinner time in the shark tank 200 feet from the auction!

Regards,
Bob D.

Stix
03/07/2003, 02:23 PM
Oh, no! Kasei, you're gonna be there? I might as well leave my money at home then and I'll bring my truck to help you carry out your new stuff. :p
I didn't mean to bash the club though. I love BAS too or I wouldn't go. And you're right, I don't bid on the things I think are outrageously priced. I was just speaking of those ridiculous bids...and you know sdome of them ARE ridiculous. Was just a heads up for you guys that yea we're in it for the support of the club but I was just saying that maybe we should try to keep an eye out for fellow hobbiests and not run bids up to three times their value.

LOVEMYREEF
03/08/2003, 10:44 PM
Hey cant wait to see everyone once again at the show this friday!!! woohoo lets get some new corals YEEEHAWW

mpisciotti
03/09/2003, 10:55 AM
hello everyone me and my wife want to come down to the next meeting.. do not know how much the membership fee is. also was wondering if we have to bring frags to auction off or can just watch everyone go crazy... also what time does the meeting start

thankyou

michael & amber

marinefish
03/09/2003, 01:27 PM
HI, You are welcome to come to the meeting. We charge $5 for entrance. You can apply the $5 to joining that night only or join for $15. Welcome and have GREAT TIME

marinefish
03/09/2003, 01:31 PM
I forgot to answer the whole message. You do not have to bring frags or anything . Do as you please, The meeting state at 7:30