PDA

View Full Version : Best vacation snorkeling spots?

Zephrant
10/17/2002, 02:54 PM
The wife and I want to start planning a trip to someplace warm next spring- We are both interested in shore snorkeling, without guides/fees. We love Maui, and have found dozens of places that you can park next to the water and hop in (ala Black Rock or Mile Marker 14), but want to try another (non Hawaiian) place.

I have been thinking of Fiji, since many of the fish I have seam to come from there, but I found very little information on it here.

Our requirements are- Stable government (no Philippines), decent prices, drive/walk to shore snorkeling spots, good coral/fish areas. We would have 2 weeks at the destination, so a tiny one-bar island might be too small. :)

We bring our own equipment, and would want to stay in a condo with a kitchen to keep costs down. I've done the 3 hour boat ride in a dingy for 1/2 hour of bottom time for $75 before, and am not very interested in it.

Does anyone have any destinations that would fit the above?

Thanks for any suggestions-

Zeph

epson2k
10/17/2002, 08:29 PM
I know plenty of spots in the Philippines and you're right I would not touch that country with a 10 foot pole. The main target for kidnapping and randsom in that country are Americans. The muslim terrorists seem to target just Americans. I would know, I'm Filipino :D

ranaman
10/29/2002, 06:08 PM
You might try see where Aloha Airlines go. I think they go to places like Christmas Island, etc. once or twice a week. There are places like Tonga , Samoa, Marshall Islands and Micronesia. The latter are US territory.
I tried to get my sister interested to go to DOS PALMAS in Palawan. REAL Adventure vacation, king cobras, phillipine crocodiles, muslim guerrillas, and unwed fillipinas. :D Ah to be younger and a little more crazy.
Just did a little google search for Christmas Island and found Air Kiribati goes once a week from Honolulu. They are partnered with Aloha Airlines. There are some filghts that go via Japan. The place is AUSTRALIAN and is in the Indian Ocean. See http:www.christmas.net.au/

Zephrant
10/30/2002, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the tips- I'll check out Aloha Airlines. I am thinking that I would rather not spend an entire day on planes either, so closer, besides being cheaper, would be better.

Thanks!

Zeph

AWD
11/10/2002, 04:08 PM
Samoa, Samoa, Samoa,

Great people, safe , BEAUTIFUL. You are much better off going to Apia and Savaii. Fly into Western Samoa from there for about $20 you can take a boat to Savaii. You can go there on a tight budget too. We stay in some huts for about $5 dollars a night. These huts were only 15' from the water. Words can't do this place justice. I haven't been to the other polynesian islands but I lived in Maui and can say NO Comparison.
If you are certified Go diving. I went with Moana Divers there are only two diver companies on Apia I think both are good.

Zander
11/10/2002, 05:50 PM
Moorea, Tahiti!!! went there a year ago...absolutely beautiful!! I'm leaving for Fiji in Dec and will let you know how that is.

Zephrant
11/20/2002, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the tips- I'm finding it really hard to pick a location. Tahiti sounds nice, and we have been looking at Fiji as well. My wife wants to do more than just snorkel, so we need an island with some shopping areas and all.

I'll do some more research on Samoa- The only Samoan I have met is the guy that shows how to husk a coconut at the Polynesian center in Hawaii- Just watching him and his "patter" is more than worth the cost of the center. :)

It looks like there are places in Fiji that are around $50us per night (not sure if that is per person or per room). I've read that a rental car is pretty expensive on Fiji, and saw a suggestion to take a bus. Anyone try that?

Zeph

crumbdav
12/03/2002, 04:39 PM
Last month I took a trip to Belize. I flew from Boston to Belize city for $350 round trip. I took a pond jumper ($90 round trip) to Ambregris Caye. Continental and (I think) Delta flies to Belize City via Houston.

Belize has the only barrier reef in the western hemisphere and it is also a UNESCO world heritage site. I snorkeled twice on Hol Chan and Shark - Ray Alley. They also have the Great Blue Hole, a gargantuous sinkhole about an 1 1/2 hours east of the islands.

You might not be able to dive off shore and see exquisite coral (though there are millions of piers that you can snorkel off of.. I did and saw two octopus'). Full day trips with about 4 stops is $US 35 per person. Half day trips are $20-25.

Hotels run the gamut, I stayed at a hotel for $30/night with two twins.

A cheaper and even quieter alternative is Caye Caulker.

Any questions, drop me a PM.

Best,

--Dave

triggerfish671
12/03/2002, 07:38 PM
Require stable government (no Philippines) ? Thats entirely inaccurate. Democratically elected pro western since WWII. Americans main targets of kidnapping and ransom ? Nonsense. Chinese businessmen are almost exclusively targeted. I'm sure more than a few Europeans are reluctant to visit Yellowstone for fear of tornados,earthquakes , and driveby shootings . Nipa hut on palm fringed beach for $7 per day , $15 for all day Island hopping with local fisherman. Spectacular snorkeling just yards off white sand beaches backed by towering limestone cliffs. Few tourists but lots of friendly English speaking natives. Northern Palawan and the South China Sea if you can figure out how to get there.

Picaso
12/11/2002, 10:58 AM
Tahhiti, Moorea, Bora Bora best diving and best snorkeling ever. We stayed at Hotel Bora Bora overwater bungaloews, we had a huge reef right off of our back porch, jump right into the water with corals and fish everywhere, a huge drop off 10 feet off and huge pelagic fish come up. Also great at night, little scary at first but great with a light. Definately going back, heard Palau and Fiji also fantastic.

Zephrant
12/19/2002, 01:15 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions- We decided to play it safe, and made reservations for St. John (US Virgin Islands).

We found a place that is about $65 a night in off season. It's an apartment, with hot tub, kitchenette and all. It's a good walk from the beach, but for the price we will take the exercise. We are really excited, but won't be going until May (off season, saves money.)

Thanks again- I'll post pictures/info when I get back. This will be the first time off the mainland for us, excepting a trip to Hawaii.

Zeph

billsreef
12/20/2002, 04:03 PM
I as there a long time ago (a little longer than I want to admit too ;) ). As I recall there was some good snorkeling around the Island in several locations. Was a rather nice Island to walk around too.

gregmoeck
12/29/2002, 06:49 AM
cocoviewresort.com

Keith Sheridan
01/08/2003, 01:19 PM
I know you said non-hawaiian, but last summer I was also on Maui and the snorkeling there was just incredible. My girlfriend and I stayed 6 weeks in South Kihei, nice and cheap apartment with a full kitchen. Easy shopping at the Foodland and snorkeling galore. If you do decide to go back there and haven't picked up a copy of Maui Revealed, do so, it is a great book and highlights good snorkeling spots. La Perouse (Fishbowl/Aquarium) spots are the best for high fish counts and clear water, but not too many turtles though. Po'olenalena Beach is another great one, tons of turtles here and Peacock Groupers, Morays of all kinds and I also saw an octopus a couple times. I would love to try other destinations too, but just wanted to reaffirm what you already know Maui is great.
http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/beastiekeith/vwp?.dir=/Underwater&.dnm=GreenSeaTurtlecloseincoral.jpg&.src=bc&.view=l&.done=http%3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/beastiekeith/lst%3f%26.dir=/Underwater%26.src=bc%26.view=l
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0971727902/qid=1042049823/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/002-2876432-2545638?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

schemo
01/11/2003, 08:48 AM
why don't you take a trip to italy???

schemo

billsreef
01/11/2003, 11:38 PM
schemo,

Tell us about the diving in Italy ;)

schemo
01/12/2003, 01:09 PM
billsreef

diving in the med is awesome you see different life than what you would see in the carribean. water is a little colder you'll need at least a 5 mil wetsuit, not much corals but lots of different types of fishes i've never seen before. lots of sponges and fans every once in a while you'll see a med baracuda schooling in a huge group down south. i can go on if you want to know more???

schemo

billsreef
01/12/2003, 04:40 PM
Got any pictures? I'm sure most of us on this side of the Atlantic and elswhere would be quite interesting in hearing about Mediteranean diving ;)

schemo
01/13/2003, 09:43 AM
billsreef ,
when me and the fiance went down to Isola di Elba, last summer i forgot my camera and had to buy a cheap underwater diposable camera. i tried to take some pics when we went under but the camera wouldn't work past 3mt (15ft) even if i winded it before the dive, the pressure wouldn't let me click on the button. i manange to take i think 3/4 pics but they where fairly close to the surface, i took other pics around the island i would be more than happy to post the pics i took of the island if interested? some of me and the fiance and the scenery? an awesome island i got to say we camped out right next to the beach. if you got some time type in Isola di Elba in a search engine, just to get a taste of the sweet italian beauty that's here, lol!!!!

if you want to see the pics you'll have to wait untill i get home from work???

schemo

Zephrant
04/03/2003, 01:13 AM
Hey Schemo- Somehow I missed your earlier posts. We'd love to come visit ya. Got a condo on the beach all lined up for us? I'll bring you some flanges for trade. :)

We head out for the US VI in May- Way excited to go.

Europe will have to be another trip this time.

Zeph

schemo
04/03/2003, 01:25 AM
what's up Zeph,
it's been awhile since i posted on here. but anyways this summer i plan to go hopefully to croatia and do some diving? that place is dirt cheap and it's beautiful, along with the women you might ditch your wife and stay there :D :D :D :D !!!!!! i'll try to get some pics and post them here this summer. the med is a really nice place to dive, it's completely different from what everyone is used to seeing off the carib. so how's the business going along? as for me i kinda slowed down on the hobby got other things going on if you know what i mean???

schemo