PDA

View Full Version : Hey all

Lukeewh
09/21/2007, 06:21 PM
Just a question, but outside of frag trading, is there anywhere in Fargo that actually carries anything anymore??

I always run down to World of Fish in Minneapolis if I need to buy something, but I hate making the drive just for fish stuff...

tarax
09/21/2007, 07:02 PM
Hey nice to see a new face around here...

To answer your question..

If you are looking for corals no.. If you are looking for supplies have you tried the one in Moorhead up by the Beet Plant?

Lukeewh
09/21/2007, 07:35 PM
yea, K9? I buy some of my inverts and fish up there but thats about it. I heard that Tony at great pets is planning on setting up a soft/lps tank and an sps tank but until they get their salt system fixed that could be a while.

I know K9 used to have a coral tank but they did away with it at least a year ago if I remember correctly. And it goes without saying that I wont be shopping at Petco any time soon.

So you guys mostly order things in then?

tarax
09/21/2007, 08:28 PM
I have a FOWLR system right now with one group of polyps that I found in GF.. There is some stuff up there if you hit the stores at the right time. But I have the luxery (maybe not :) ) of getting to travel a lot for my job (I splice fiber optic cable) and check out stores whenever I'm in a town that has one.. Thats how I got my last show piece of LR.. I was LUCKY!..

I am going to order online, but I'm waiting until the site gets some Purple People Eaters again before I do so..

Mr James
09/22/2007, 01:13 AM
Check out the livestock for sale forums, always good deals in there.

Mattewell
09/22/2007, 10:30 AM
I tend to wait till the LiveAquaria Frag swap in Wisconsin to get most of my stuff. Selection around here sucks! I travel to Rochester,MN about once a month so if there is anything cool down there I will post it. Boy.... If I started a decent Salt store in Fargo, I could stand to make some money.... as nobody else has anything.

Turbo5oh
09/22/2007, 10:31 AM
hello and welcome.
are far as local corals go, petco has some generic stuff once in a while i.e. mushrooms, gsp, clams, leathers but typicaly pretty poopys colored stuff

other than that not to much local anymore. is there something specific ur looking for?

Turbo5oh
09/22/2007, 11:10 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10819885#post10819885 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mattewell
Boy.... If I started a decent Salt store in Fargo, I could stand to make some money.... as nobody else has anything.

ive had the same thought myself, we are currently trying to buy a house and ive had ideas of starting something out of the basement or something. i somewhat already have a supplyer in winnipeg who is a large direct supplyer out of the fiji islands. i dont think fargo/moorhead would support a full blown fish/coral retail store but doing it out of ur home with just local word of mouth and phone book adds and then online sales i beleive it could be a decent little side buisness, or enough to at least recover ur cost and have a little fun in the mean time

Lukeewh
09/22/2007, 12:16 PM
Yea, Im not looking for anything specific, was just curious if there were channels around I wasnt aware of. I definately agree that starting a small side business could definately be a money maker. I think if it was more obvious around you would get a lot more interest in the hobby as well. I remember when Great Pets had a few corals when they just opened, and I worked at Petsmart at the time, we always heard about their stuff and people were really excited about it even though they had no idea how to take care of it.

tarax
09/22/2007, 02:57 PM
I believe Tony is going to have them again eventually, but he has a lot of issues to work out with his salt water setup. Last I heard he was waiting on the bank for a loan so he could get the appropriate equipment to fix his flow issues.

Lukeewh
09/22/2007, 03:50 PM
Thats what I thought too... It sucks what happened with that system. I was in there last week and they said they had someone who was going to help them fix it, but I dont know if its like the aquarium design guys in town or the bank like you said. Either way it will be awesome when they are done!

tarax
09/22/2007, 09:37 PM
I agree.. I really like Tony and the Store.. He has been extremely helpful to me over the years at both stores.. I have offered to help clean out his tanks when he gets around to it, but he says I'm trying to take away the fun stuff from him.. LOL