PDA

View Full Version : help anenome help

rdryja
01/01/2001, 11:44 AM
I have problem keeping anenome..the 2 clowns actually take the food from the anenome if I hand feed it raw shrimp...they seem to deprive it of food!

I have had all enenomes die after 30-60 days.. 125 gal tank 1/3 water changes every 3 weeks ....berling and sump bio filters ...elegant corals doing fine...the anenomes die and the clowns are not helping?

What am I doing wrong?

rdryja
01/01/2001, 12:04 PM
testing to see reply

Dwayne
01/01/2001, 01:13 PM
Can you give some info on your tank specs and lights? LR? Sand? Type of anemone?

Need more info to help.

Dwayne

rdryja
01/01/2001, 01:38 PM
125 gallonn plexiglass with live rock about 1 1.2 inches of orginal packed sand the delaer put in 3 years ago.
have 4 yellow tangs b;ue tang 5-6 blennies flame angel hawkfish, mandarin gobie 2 clowns 2"

bought reef cleanup crew 2 cucumbers , small hermits, small snailes etc 3 abalone (something already killed them) a few larger hermits3 serpany start banded.....

have compact 9600k lighting 2 double tube blue & 2 double tube white....all 36" long

berlin protein skimmer...sump with bio balls ..large clam
various small coral doing fine..

return flow at top of tank 1/4 hp motor
2 large powerheads powerheads ( one permanent for top water flow....one butied in rock on Wave computer
3 additional smaller volume owerhead on sde blowing into reef on Wave computer also..

feed various frozen krill....formula 1....bloodworms... etc

Also add Rotifer dose every night

thanks rdryja

Dwayne
01/02/2001, 11:04 AM
You never said what type of anemone, if you did I missed it.

I can say my seabae and carpet are under 250 watt metal halides. I feed them chopped up shrimp, scallop, and fish. I've had the carpet for 1 1/2 years and the seabae for 1 year. Water temp runs mid to high 80's.

You don't need anemone for your clowns to live and you don't need clowns for your anemone to live. It is wonderful when they do pair up, but is not a necessity.

Try feeding smaller pieces. Anemones don't need large pieces of food. If the clowns are taking food, they might be hungry. FWIW - I never got anything in my tank to eat frozen krill.

I'm not familiar with your lights so I wont commnent on them. Maybe somebody more familiar with them can comment.

FWIW, IMO, YMMV, ASR, BNI, etc....

Dwayne

rdryja
01/02/2001, 11:49 AM
The clowns don't take the food to eat they just seem to take it away from the anemone..and its drifts away. I know they don't need each other but I wonder if I should get rid of the clowns to keep an anemone?

its is a standard long tenacle white anemone

Agu
01/03/2001, 02:06 PM
"standard long tenacle white anemone"

White anemones have lost their zooxanthella (sp?), are unable to feed/eat adequately, and will starve to death.

Go to flying fish express and take a look at pics to determine what you're buying, then stop buying until you learn more. Very few anemones are appropriate for captivity, and buying one that is already dieing really increases mortality.

Agu

http://www.ffexpress.com

Grunt
01/03/2001, 02:31 PM
Well for your lights
They say an anemone nees 3-5 watts per gallon to sucessfully live. How many WATTS do you have? with 125 gallon tank you need say 125times 4(average)=500 WATTS....check for watts not K.
Anemones need a strong light source. How many Watts do you have? Anemones are also kinda temperamental about water quality. What are your water stats?

Also you have a heavy bioload("4 yellow tangs b;ue tang 5-6 blennies flame angel hawkfish, mandarin gobie 2 clowns 2"
) there are 5 tangs?!?!? Plus more...hmm
Just my .02
-Grunt

Kevomac
01/04/2001, 05:16 PM
As far as your clowns taking food away from the anemone, what kind of clowns are they? Some clowns prefer ceryain types of anemonee. I have seen clowns steal food from one anemome to feed another, but never just for the sake of taking it away. Maybe it is a clown / anemone compatibility problem.

rdryja
01/04/2001, 10:45 PM
If I hand feed the anemone will that dmaage it..I will have to lift it to get to its mouth..it is very large and hard to find mouth otherwise.

Grunt
01/05/2001, 04:29 PM
U can feed anemones, however dont dig through the tencles to find his mouth. Just gently place the silverside or whatever u feed it onto the tentcles...The anemone will then take it to his mouth. About the fish taking it. Keep your hands in the tank or have a net there so they back off long enough for the anemone to get some of the food down. Not sure how long it will tkae tho.
-Grunt

rdryja
01/05/2001, 10:05 PM
I have 4 96 watt double tubes power compact

so about 400 watts

125 gal tank but 2 large showpiece rocks and live rock reef

I do a 1/3 water change every 3 weeks and it uses about 33 gal so the water capacity is 100 gallons

HOW LOMG SHOULD I BE KEEPING THE LIGHTS ON?

spike
01/07/2001, 07:54 PM
Are you purchasing these from a LFS, I have a neon green Seabae. I have had for 5 plus years and never feed. My clowns don't appear to feed the anemone. My experience has been who are you getting these anemones from.

Good Luck,
Spike