PDA

View Full Version : What would you like to see MASNA do?

SciGuy2
10/16/2002, 03:11 PM
The subject says it all. What would like to see the Marine Aquarium Societies of North America to do this year?

Thanks for your input.

Sincerely,
Lee Morey
MASNA Director of Memebership and P.R.

Aquaman
10/24/2002, 10:48 AM
Improve communications between members and clubs
Finish the website layout so every page follows the new scheme

Nancy Swart
10/24/2002, 12:19 PM
Hi Aquaman,

Thanks for taking the time to give us your comments. Some areas of the website were purposely not converted to the new theme as Past-MACNAS have their own theme which we wanted to retain, etc.

But please tell me which sections you're referring to and I'll get on it.

Nancy
Past Pres/Treas
www.masna.org

SciGuy2
10/24/2002, 04:27 PM
Aquaman,

Again, thanks for replying. Communications between our membership and clubs definitely is my primary goal for the year and one of MASNA's as well. We're working on additional content in our quarterly newsletter to help introduce clubs to one another, opening communications at web forums such as RC, and starting to send updates via email to membership.

Do you have any additional ideas?

Thanks abunch,
-Lee

P.S. You have a nice website and a great reeftank!

Aquaman
10/25/2002, 07:10 AM
Page 2,3,4,5 of MACNA XIV Pics. Sorry but I hated the psychedelic buttons.

P.S. You have a nice website and a great reeftank BAH! framwork for that site is about 5 years old and the pictures are 2 years old. I did a nicer much cleaner and more professional site but the PC I did all the work on crashed and I lost all the data. I'm working on a better site in the near future! and the reef tank! Sigh I lost all of the Montiporia Capricorinis to the deadly monti eating nudibranch!

SciGuy2
10/25/2002, 08:02 AM
Aquaman,

Sorry about your computer and the cap. coral. I look forward to your new website.

Nancy Swart
10/25/2002, 12:21 PM
Ooops...I completely missed fixing pages 2,3,4, & 5. (Good help is hard to find.<g>)

Sorry to hear about your crash and the Nudi attack.

NS

Kyle McClain
10/25/2002, 01:11 PM
I would love to see the developement of regional mini MACNA'S. It would be a great way to lead up to the main event.

Kyle

Technobuyer
10/25/2002, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by ostatesman
I would love to see the developement of regional mini MACNA'S. It would be a great way to lead up to the main event.

Kyle

Kyle,

DFWMAS has held "Next Wave" conferences in the past which were one day events. There were a number of speakers scheduled throughout the day, with a raffle at the end. Sort of a 1 day mini MACNA, without the exhibitors and some of the extras. Is this kinda what you had in mind?

SciGuy2
10/25/2002, 04:56 PM
Hi Kyle! Long time, no see.

MASNA has been trying to figure out how to help local clubs work together to put together one day events like you are describing. To that end MASNA formed an events committee this year.

Good, ol' TechnoBuyer (not really old) is on that committee, I believe. Since he was the event coordinator for the last MACNA I'm really happy that Techno has chimed in and volunteered to serve on that committee.

One of the Michigan clubs also puts on a weekend event similar to what you are suggesting. John Dawe is the president of that club and is also on the MASNA events committee. I can provide contact information if you or any of the member clubs would like to talk to him also.

BTW, I think there is a lot of potential for OMAS and COMAS to work together to put on a grand one day event.

Can you think of specific things that MASNA can do to help the clubs organize events? The specific things that have been discussed by MASNA are: helping clubs get in contact with people with experience putting on conferences, helping the clubs get in contact with speakers, and possibly helping a bit with underwriting. But remember that MASNA's budget these days is smaller than many of its member clubs' budgets.

Thanks,
-Lee

Orin
10/27/2002, 10:42 PM
I would like the Marine Aquarium Societies of North America to put the member Marine Aquarium Societies links back on the links page. There are links to website hosts and all sorts of things barely on topic, but not to marine aquarium societies? I know the club links were finally replaced. However, they were moved to the members' section; by placing them there they are effectively hidden. The Marine Aquarium Societies of North America's primary goal is to promote and work with the marine aquarium societies in North America?

Orin
10/27/2002, 10:56 PM
P.S. I think you guys are doing a great job! Keep up the good work.

SciGuy2
10/28/2002, 10:28 AM
Orin,

Great point. Consider it a point of discussion for the board of directors.

Thanks,
-Lee

MaryHM
11/05/2002, 08:47 PM
Now that I've thrown my aggravating laptop out of the window and bought a new computer, I can finally attend the MASNA meetings from my house. It would be great if all of the members were emailed a day in advance of the monthly meetings as a reminder. Might help to increase attendance also.

The new website looks AWESOME! Great work Nancy!

Nancy Swart
11/06/2002, 02:11 PM
Thanks, Mary! It'll be great seeing you at some meetings again. BTW, the time has been moved up by an hour since we expect increased attendance and they might run longer than usual.

Nancy

SciGuy2
11/07/2002, 09:15 AM
Mary,

I was planning on sending out emails a day or so before meetings.

I'm looking at my troubled laptop right now - wondering how far I can throw it, and whether it would skip like a flat stone on the water if I threw it in the neighbor's pool...

Take care,
-Lee

LVMAS
11/23/2002, 10:56 PM
Hello All,

Im sorry Im so slow on the reply here. In fact this may be kicking a dead horse as it were.

I was wondering if MASNA would consider (or has already considered) inserting a page on their website linking to the various club websites around the US that specifically have LFS listed and ranked on their websites. (as I do).

Aquarium Stores in Las Vegas (http://hometown.aol.com/lvaquariasociety/stores.html )

It may encourage improvement among the LFS locally and nationally? If the LFS were to see themselves posted in such a way on all of the clubs With MASNA backing the clubs I mean. It may encourage MAC certs. I know it's not my job...

Here is the problem, When I approach some LFS, they say OH YA! We have that! I make all my employees get certified in the fist month of employment... I just want to help HALT the verbiage handed to customers... I have talked to others and they have heard the same stories.

Am I on the right track here? Or has it been decided that this is outside the scope of "can do" by a club?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.
Howard-

Nancy Swart
11/24/2002, 02:11 PM
Hi Howard,

This sounds like a great idea! If our BOD agrees and we start this project, I'd like to see all of our members participate, not just clubs.

Just curious, when these shops tell you their employees are certified, have you asked what their process entails?

NS

LVMAS
11/24/2002, 09:59 PM
Hello,

Actually the stores equate it to the equivilens of a computer certification. Im sure they have no idea.

Just as a side note I recieved my packet for MAC (for clubs & stores) and most roll their eyes when I hand them a packet. That concerns me.

I know there is cost involved for the MAC Certs. I know its hard for the LFS to comptete with internet sale houses as it is. I also know most of all that if reefers go into a LFS I dont want people putting theit 15 thousand dollar reef aquarium in the hands of a 4 dollar an hour employee because again, the store cant compete with the internet. We should be helping the good LFS and sink the bad ones. Im just not sure where the big intenet houses are fitting into all of this.

I hope I didnt go to far off base.

Just my thoughts

Thank you for your reply.
Howard

Nancy Swart
11/25/2002, 02:01 PM
Hi Howard,

You're not off base. While I hate the idea of doing anything that might hurt the LFS, I agree that there are many that should be shut down for unethical practices and treatment of critters under their care.

Interesting about the reaction to the MAC Info Packs.

As to competition with the Internet, yes, it has hurt many shops but those with quality stock and advice seem to be holding their own.

Let's discuss your proposed project further at our next BOD meeting if you can attend.

Nancy

LVMAS
11/25/2002, 04:05 PM
Hello.

Yes, I will try to attend the meeting.