PDA

View Full Version : Mantle on T. Crocea curling up

Scotto
05/01/2000, 06:39 AM
The edges of my T. Crocea's mantle are curling up at the edges; should I be worried?? He still extends it, and seems otherwise happy, but is this a precursor of bad things to come?

He is 1/2 way up the tank under 440W VHO. Water params are fine, and other tank inhabitants are fat and happy.

Thanks,
Scottto

Minotaur15
05/01/2000, 07:41 AM
Please define "fine" WRT water params and how deep is "1/2 way up" is.

Scotto
05/01/2000, 09:17 AM
75 gallon reef: 1/2 way up= ~12" under lights.
Ca=400 ppm, alk=3.5 meq/l, pH=8.4, no phosphates, nitrates~4 ppm. salinity 35 ppt.

-Scott

Minotaur15
05/01/2000, 10:35 AM
Hard to point any fingers at this time. How accurate is your salinity measurement?

Otherwise, I would just keep an eye out.

------------------
Dan - minotaur15@hotmail.com
http://www.einsweb.com/minotaur15/

Jisung
05/01/2000, 10:38 PM
Scotto,

Check this post.
http://www.reefcentral.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002357.html

Jisung

Yam
05/02/2000, 02:33 AM
My T. Maxima did that when it got stung by my anemone. After three days, it was back to normal. I didn't change anything except try and lock in the anemone more.

Danny

------------------
http://www.ereefers.homepage.com

Scotto
05/02/2000, 06:16 AM
Hmmmmmm...

It sounds like it could be a variety of things. The only thing close to the clam is a large colt coral, which I don't think droops enough to touch it. I'll keep an eye out though. The air bubble point is an interesting one, since I have lots of those at the moment. Since I upgraded my lighting a few months ago, I have been producing lots of bubbles- perhaps these are bothering the clam. Not sure what I could do about it, though.

Is it possible he is just not happy where he is now? I do see him move around a bit, though he is boxed in from jumping off the shelf he is on. Should I move him to a different spot?

-Scott

JmLee
09/23/2007, 08:37 PM
Could be from numerous things..... Do you run carbon?. Have you inspected the clam for pyramid snails?. make sure you do not place the clam in any kind of crevice, that will prevent him from opening up all the way.... Could be something in the water.. could be parasites. To me it sounds like your clam has pinched mantle disease or is starting to develop it. Is he less responsive to lighting and shadows?. Try searching for "pinched mantle disease" and see what you come up with.. Best of luck and let us know what the outcome is.

JmLee
09/23/2007, 08:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=930#post930 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Scotto
Hmmmmmm...

It sounds like it could be a variety of things. The only thing close to the clam is a large colt coral, which I don't think droops enough to touch it. I'll keep an eye out though. The air bubble point is an interesting one, since I have lots of those at the moment. Since I upgraded my lighting a few months ago, I have been producing lots of bubbles- perhaps these are bothering the clam. Not sure what I could do about it, though.

Is it possible he is just not happy where he is now? I do see him move around a bit, though he is boxed in from jumping off the shelf he is on. Should I move him to a different spot?

-Scott

try moving him away from the colt. A lot of soft corals can produce noxious chemicals ( not to sure about colts and im not to sure if they effect clams, but its worth a shot right? ) Try to run some carbon for a few days (if your not already ) and see if this helps. Again, best of luck...

mbbuna
09/23/2007, 11:09 PM
can you post a photo of the clam and also post all test results from every test kit you have.

i would also repost this in this forum http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=41

navajo
09/24/2007, 10:15 AM
HAHAHAHA Did you notice this thread was 7 years old before you posted? Talk about living in the past. HEEEEEEE

20 20
09/24/2007, 10:18 AM
Wonder if the clams still alive... ;)

JmLee
09/24/2007, 12:08 PM
mannnnn some one sent this thread to me so i posted on it lol. Had no freakin clue

navajo
09/24/2007, 12:20 PM
HAHAHAHAHA

I've done the same thing in the past. Just messing with you.

Take care