PDA

View Full Version : Masna Goals 2002-03

omegatron
10/15/2002, 06:48 PM
Hello All,

I would like to take a moment to welcome all members and prespective members to our new forum. We will be having alot of exciting news in the near future as we strive to obtain some goals that we have discussed. In an effort to keep everyone informed we have decided to keep everyone abreast of developments. Our first meeting of the new year was exhilarating and well attended. Below are a list of goals we will be working on this year. This list will be added to as we move forward.

MASNA Goals Statement 2002-2003 Session

In order to further MASNA’s charter of promoting the saltwater aquarium hobby by: educating hobbyists; promoting the ethical treatment and collection of marine animals; and helping with the formation and advancement of local clubs; the 2002-2003 MASNA Board of Directors have set the following goals:

1) Improve Communications with Membership
• Contact membership on a routine basis via electronic and conventional mail
• Contact former membership to determine reasons for non renewal and take steps to eliminate obstacles.
• Resume hardcopy mailing of the quarterly “Marine Scene� newsletter.
• Encourage increased attendance of membership at monthly online meetings
• Reestablish the club newsletter exchange program
• Clearly convey that the MASNA Board of Directors in conjunction with its Members serve as a forum for the evaluation and selection of MACNA host clubs ; beyond the initial selection process MASNA will act only in a supportive assisting role.
• Clearly convey that MASNA officials shall at no time derive any direct income due to their office

2) Improve Hobbywide Presence/Increase Membership
• Continue involvement with the Marine Aquarium Council (MAC); the U.S. Coral Reef Task Force (USCRTF; and the American Marinelife Dealers Association (AMDA) in order to convey key issues to hobbyists and cooperate in hobbyist education programs when feasible.
• Establish open forums on the internet bulletin boards and conduct online open chat forum discussions.
• Foster an increase in MASNA membership by obtaining a higher public profile resulting in increased requests for information on club formation and membership

3) Establish Program Funding without MACNA revenues
• Pursue a corporate sponsorship program to reach our goal of establishing scholarship awards for future educators in the hobby.
• Start an individual, donation based, fundraising program

4) Establish/Further Establish Educational Programs
• Further establish an independently administered scholarship program
• Establish a MASNA underwritten speaker program to assist local clubs in funding guest lecturers.
• Provide Special Consultation Services for Club Special Events.
• Call Special Meeting of all members to propose and vote on Amendment to By-Laws giving member clubs two delegates thereby two votes at Annual Meeting
• Revert back to publishing names of Nominees 30 days prior to Annual Meeting and Elections

SciGuy2
10/16/2002, 03:07 PM
Any public comment? MASNA would truly like the input of the RC community.

Thanks,

rldavis
10/16/2002, 03:30 PM
Allow me to be the first to comment. I believe that these goals are great. Attainable and simple. It's great to see everyone trying to get back to the basics. I know that many of you have worked very very hard to resurrect MASNA and I wanted to let you all know that your hard work is appreciated. (At least by me.) :)

Keep it up!
Becky

Nancy Swart
10/16/2002, 04:06 PM
Hi Becky,

Congrats on being the first to give us your comments! Thought I'd mention that these Goals are also on the MASNA website with notes as to progress we've made so far at http://www.masna.org/2002-3goals.htm

NS

Heavenly Damsel
10/26/2002, 05:48 PM
WE really do appreciate all you have done to keep Masna solvent. I know from what I have read that it was a tough road.

You all have done a great job. Thank you for stepping forward to lead us into the future.

SciGuy2
10/27/2002, 11:53 AM
Heavenly Damsel,

How is your new club doing? Is there anything MASNA can do to help you folks?

MASNA is very happy that all of the old financial problems are over and done with. Now we can get back to the MASNA charter of helping clubs and the hobby.

Take care,
-Lee

Heavenly Damsel
10/27/2002, 03:25 PM
Our club is doing great. We are considering a membership in MASNA at our next meeting.

I have already made my reservations for MACNA in Louisville. Looking forward to seeing Eric again and meeting all the others who have authored the books I read.

Having a national level association to keep us up to date about events and information we would not even think about is a great benefit. Most of us don't think beyond our next trip to the LFS. The fact that we can have a voice or in any way influence the legislation that effects our hobby is worth our support. Thank you all for keeping such a close eye on national and international events for us.

I have met Jenn and am aware of her passion for this hobby, I look forward to meeting the rest of you at MACNA next year.

Again, Thank you and God Bless,
Jacqui

omegatron
10/27/2002, 05:56 PM
Nice to hear your club is doing so well. I look forward to meeting alot of new friends as well in Kentuckiana.