PDA

View Full Version : HOB Refugium, Lighting suggestions?

micynyorkies
09/08/2007, 06:28 PM
I want to set up my 29 gallon tall tank as a small reef w/seahorses or a cuttlefish (if I could find one). I was wondering if the $100 HOB refugium/skimmer combo on E-Bay ( E-bay HOB refugium (http://cgi.ebay.com/Hang-On-Acrylic-Refugium-w-Protein-Skimmer-Free-pump_W0QQitemZ160153824297QQihZ006QQcategoryZ46313QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) ) was as good as the more expensive (~$300) ( CPR version (http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idproduct~CR1727.html) ) CPR version. Also, what would be a good light fixture? It has no hood.

mikekman
09/08/2007, 07:19 PM
Cindy, get the ebay one. It includes a skimmer. As for lighting, a lamplight can work fine or go to the store and get one of those small pc lights that are like 9 watts. Personally, i've read a small clip on lamp light will work.

Ebay one is cheaper and you can used the money saved for the tank. As for cuttlefish, post on reefcentral's reef discussion or I think there is a forum for people with octopus, cuttlefish, etc. They can tell you were to buy some.

micynyorkies
09/08/2007, 07:46 PM
What would be a good light fixture for the tank? I was thinking some type of MH - a sunpod?

mikekman
09/08/2007, 08:29 PM
Why don't you got to Dr Foster and Smith and get a Aquapod 24 gallon tank w/ sunpod 150 hqi? It costs 320 including shipping. Thats how much someone paid which he sent me in exchange for some lights.

The sunpod itself costs 200+ so its cheaper if you go to drfoster smith and buy the package deal.

Or if you already have a tank, go and buy PCs........you don't really need MHs unless you really want to grow some sps and all.

My recommendations are if you don't have a tank, then go buy that package deal. A 24 gal cube w/150 mh + shipping for about 320 is a crazy deal. Cheapest around.

If you have a tank already, then just go online and buy some pc lights on ebay.

mikekman
09/08/2007, 08:34 PM
Ok, just reread and you mention you have a 29 gallon tall...........go on ebay and look for pc lighting fixtures. You can get some 2x65 watters for a cheap price. 130 watts would be fine for that tank especially since you want it to be reef.

Plan on putting dendros in there? While you feed the seahorse, you could feed the dends.

saltykelly
09/08/2007, 11:39 PM
DO NOT buy the ebay one. It is an odyssea small refugium. They sell them for $49.90 at aquatraders.com. Plus shipping will be less. The odyssea products are not quite the quality of some of the bigger brands like sunpod or cpr, but they work well and are half the price or less. I use on of their mh lights on my 30 gal cube. Check them out. Downside is you will want a more blue bulb, and the fan is loud but works really well.

saltykelly
09/08/2007, 11:42 PM
Oh yeah! you can buy a small power compact from them for the fuge for $24.90 as well. I'm going to be doing that as soon as I build my stand and set up my sump.

mikekman
09/08/2007, 11:49 PM
DO NOT buy from Aquatraders. Go on reefcentral, you will find a great deal of threads about aquatraders. They are not very reputable in my opinion. There has been complaints about that company.

I'd buy the ebay one and look on ebay for a PC light for the tank rather than deal with aquatraders and getting broken equipment, etc.

saltykelly
09/09/2007, 10:28 AM
I've used multiple aquatraders products and haven't had any problems. So have many of my friends. The one on ebay IS an aquatraders fuge. I was telling her to go direct if she wants that one and save some money. Of course, if you have the money it is better to buy the more expensive types. But I do not believe most of the stuff on reefcentral about aquatraders because I have use half a dozen of their products with no problems.