PDA

View Full Version : Possible ID and some help requested

Craig731
09/07/2007, 04:40 PM
I just recieved this new coral. From what I can tell it's most likely a very unhealthy trumpet coral but I'm not sure. The pictures I can find of trumpet or candy cane shows the polyp heads being much larger, where the heads on this is barely bigger than the stalk, and just as hard.

I'm wondering if you all have suggestions, if it is unhealthy, on ways to step up my care of it.

As of now I have been target feeding cyc and moving it up in the tank until about midway. I've noticed more tentacles coming out every day near the mouth.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa296/craig731/DSCN1425-1.jpg

vvolfe1
09/09/2007, 10:09 AM
I'd have to say you are right it is a candy cane/ trumpet coral. One of mine has smaller heads on it one has huge ones. It really does not look very healthy but they are real hardy corals and I'm sure the heads will get somewhat larger with proper care.

mikekman
09/17/2007, 10:31 PM
looks like a very stressed/bleached out candy cane. I like the color of it though. Probably will end up being neon green or something lke that.

Make sure you get it acclimated to your lights and you can feed it like brine shrimp or mysis, the feeder tentacles usually open up when the lights are off.

zooqi
09/17/2007, 10:43 PM
I second Mikeman.
type Caulastrea furcata in google or yahoo and click images.

Craig731
09/18/2007, 06:39 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10788288#post10788288 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mikekman
looks like a very stressed/bleached out candy cane. I like the color of it though. Probably will end up being neon green or something lke that.

Make sure you get it acclimated to your lights and you can feed it like brine shrimp or mysis, the feeder tentacles usually open up when the lights are off.

Appreciate all the responses. I was feeding it daily for a week, now every other or every third day. The heads are getting bigger now, 4 have at least doubled in size and fully reach out feeders at night. They seem fleshy now instead of just painted on.

Some of the others are looking about the same. Still wondering if i have it high enough in my tank. It's a little under midway (10 inches) under the surface with 4x 54w t5s.