PDA

View Full Version : sand swap

Shooter
10/11/2002, 11:38 AM
I missed the October meeting last night due to a conflict with another meeting that I go to. Anyway, I was wondering if the sand swap was done and if so, when the next one might be? I am going to try to make the next meeting, which would be on November...? What is the criteria for the sand swap? Does anyone have any tubeworms, bristle or fireworms, cyano, etc? How does everyone know they aren't getting a cup of bad critters from someone's tank? I would love to have the variety of stuff that this swap would bring but am concerned about introducing something to my tank that I don't want. Thanks!

Idaho Bob
10/11/2002, 12:40 PM
I'm not an expert on this, but as I understand it, you are likely to get a little of all those things in a sand swap. I think the theory is that bristle worms and all sand swelling creatures are good things. I know my sand is loaded with bristle worms. Cyano is probably present in every aquarium, and only is a problem if conditions combine to encourage a bloom.

deucejimmo
10/22/2002, 05:58 PM
Shooter,
Define for me a bad sand critter. The idea is to promote bio diversity to the sand bed. I dont belive that any thing that will live and propigate in a sand bed is a bad thing.

reefskinner
10/22/2002, 07:10 PM
I got Flatworms a few years back from a "sand swap" I no longer trade sand with anyone unless I am 100% certain I am not getting any pests. It was a nightmare to get rid of them. Granted, you can get bad bugs with any live rock or sand you put in the tank, it is a gamble I guess.

Shawn

deucejimmo
10/23/2002, 10:26 PM
Reefskinner ,
What problems did the flat worms cause in your tank? Or was it just that you had flatworms the problem. Most flat worms are algea eaters and will generally dissappear as quickly as they showed up. They usually do not cause any harm to the inhabitants of the tank.
One easy remedy to flat worms if you belive they are a problem, howevew, is greenex.It seems to do a number on them.

reefskinner
10/26/2002, 02:38 PM
Jim,
Other than looking like crap, I didn't really have any trouble with them. I have heard of people getting them so bad that they will smother and kill corals. I didn't let mine get to that point.
Shawn.................

deucejimmo
10/27/2002, 07:39 PM
How did you erradicate them . Did you use natural a process such as a wrass or did you do something else. I'm kind of interested.

Idaho Bob
10/28/2002, 10:58 AM
I recently had to deal with flatworms. They were very numerous, and covered everything, though the coral seemed to unaffected. I did some research on reef central, and used greenex on them, followed by an 80% water change. I looked at the some algae scrapings under the microscope, before and after the Greenex treatment, and the rotifers and protozoans seemed to be unaffected by Greenex. Corals were fine. No other life was affected as far as I could tell, but I did the big water change just in case. My silocone did not turn green, as some reports say it can.