PDA

View Full Version : New tank 125 (note: this may progress slowly)

boviac
09/03/2007, 12:29 PM
Greetings all just wanted to show some of the progress I've made on the 125 upgrade sitting in my garage.

After several cleaning trips to the front lawn area, I finally have it moved off the moving dolly and up onto the basic stand it came with when I bought it. FYI, this will not be the final stand. Filled it with water and discovered just as I thought, my garage has a slope towards the opening. But so far, so good.

After the tank was put on the dolly and I had the sides taken off the stand... That's my two-year-old daughter helping me out. ;)
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k21/boviac/IMG_1094a.jpg

Here's how I cleaned it out on the front yard on July 13.
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k21/boviac/IMG_1099a.jpg

And here's the chip I discovered after cleaning yet again on July 22. Sorry for the clarity but this is the best one I got. My digital seems to have trouble auto-focus on the junction of glass planes. Go figure?http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k21/boviac/IMG_1166a.jpg

and finally after much ado with the needed help to test if this will hold water afterall?
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k21/boviac/IMG_1659a.jpg

More to come but like I said in the subject... It may be slow going. ;) :D

-Chris

mikekman
09/03/2007, 12:36 PM
Post some more pics when you get the equipment in and when you get some live rock!

missyshrout
09/03/2007, 01:50 PM
Tell Tatiana she's doing a great job! Oh and Dad you rock too!

That tank is huge. Can't wait to get one that big.

First, keep fish alive then get bigger tank.

boviac
09/04/2007, 02:33 AM
Thanks Melissa and Mike, :D

Actually, I've been planning my 125 upgrade for nearly five years. During that time I've read lots of tank build threads and copied and designed several features for my own build. Shortly after I obtained a set-up 50 gal reef that quickly became full and still growing, my upgrade goal was born.

It has, however, been brought to my attention that a real 125 has an 18inch width and mine is only 16 inches

Tank Length = 72 inches
Tank Width = 16 inches
Tank Height = 24 inches

Tank volume is calculated as
Tank Volume = 119.7 Gallons :confused:
Close enough for me since I got this tank cheap. For ease, I'll simply keep refering to it as a 125.

So I'm Thinking I'll set this one up in stages:

Stage 1)
Drill tank (Calfo style) and prepare for swap - but block off drilled oveflow for now. Complete stand. Swap current 50 for new 125 tank and stand. Modify current retro hood to be attached to a 6' lenght and made into a simple canopy. Current 4' long PC's will be in center of the 6' tank leaving the end 1' sections with no direct light. Set up tank with 50% new sand to existing sand, rock, and corals same arrangement as currently in 50 in the center of the 125. Use the current overflow, sump, and chiller flow path in the 125.
Goal - January 1, 2008.

Stage 2) Modify 50 gal to be sump/grow out tank. Replace the HOB overflow and remove the cover on the drilled overflow. Replace the sump with the modded 50 gal sump with equipment upgrade (skimmer, pump, ATO, etc)
Goal: April 1, 2008

Stage 3) Solaris H4 series (400W equiv) upgrade to canopy.
Goal: when I win the lottery - if I played. ;) But seriously... TBD. :rolleye1:

I have a whole folder of hand sketches of how I want this build to go out but what I've already learned from the bottom trim pieces that I cut out... I need to model this in solidworks before I cut any more pieces. So I'll try to get that done and post some pics of my stand, sump, flow ideas for everyone once I'm sure all the parts/pieces will fit and connect the way I think they will.

Thanks for following along.

boviac
09/04/2007, 02:38 AM
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k21/boviac/IMG_1661a.jpg

If you look closely you can see I measured my trim pieces to be exactly the size of the tank forgetting to include the width of the trim pieces themselves. I would have caught this if I did this on Solidworks.

No worries, I'm thinking I may just use flat pieces under the tank and build the side of the stand up to cover that part of the tank.

So far the tank is holding water just fine. I may take out a few gallons and buy some vinegar and see if that does anything. ;)

I've got a 55 gal drum (olive processing) from kinghocus420 soaking in the back that also needs a vinegar soak/ rinse. Currently I'm using two 32 gal trash cans for my RO/DI water storage. I'd like to use one of these large drums for a saltwater mixing tank and replace one of the trash cans. Currently I have the RO/DI in a rubbermaid bin that I take out and connect to the hose as needed. I'll probably replace the RO/Di filters before I prepare fill the 125. My dual-stage in-line TDS meter just failed on the inlet side so I may consider replacing that as well.

kinghokus420
09/04/2007, 08:48 AM
hey chris the tank looks like its making good progress. when you're ready to drill dont be afraid!!
judging by the size of the tank brace i have a tank by the same guy. 3/8 glass is your friend.
maybe this link will help. its from when i drilled my overflow drains.
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/diy/19185-i-dremeled-tank-today.html

boviac
09/04/2007, 10:24 PM
I called a local glass shop for a quote on 3/8" glass: 2'x2' pane plus three 4"x2' panes with one of those with three 1.75" holes at 6",12", & 18" on center. This is going to be the box behind the tank for the Calfo overflow.

Apparently, this shop didn't stock that thickness and mostly focused on windows. So they were quoting out someone else and called me back. $192. something!?!?! Wow!

After I calmed down and thought more... Maybe 1/4" would work sufficently though for the drilled part I would rather have 3/8" for extra strength. I may go scraping around for a piece.

The four panes cut to size in 1/4" will cost me $22 and change. I said I would sand the sharp edges and drill my own holes. They didn't have a bit big enough for 1.75" holes, which I'll end up cutting myself.

I'll be picking up the pieces tomorrow and hopefully, (I forgot to ask) for a scrap piece or two to practice drilling on.

Tank is on day two of holding water no problem. Still haven taken a light to it to see how clear it is. Too many other projects at the same time... the primary one is caring for my 2 y.o. :D

boviac
09/04/2007, 11:24 PM
Kinghokus420,

Actually, I don't know why but my tank is actually 1/2" glass all the way around - even the top 18" wide centerbrace. I'm wondering if the bottom is tempered. But I'm not going that route. I read your thread and good job.

I'm drilling the tank via dremel or roto-zip bits and it will be about a 24" horizontal overflow near the center. I'm pondering removing the center brace and moving it to the thirds and making it only 6" and 3/8" thick. That way I might be able to use the current tripple glass lids they make for the 125.

I may splurge for the $30+ bucks for a diamond bit 1.75" hole bit or see if I may borrow/rent one. For three holes it may pay for itself. But I'll practice with the dremel first since I've already got that. Got some cheap Harbor Freight diamond bits but I don't think I'll use them but maybe on the 1/4" stuff. That 1/2" deep 24" calfo overflow is going to take I'm thinking about 1-2 hours total with lots of breaks in between.

Not afraid to drill but would like some practice first. :D

kinghokus420
09/05/2007, 09:36 AM
im 95% sure i have all the glass you need. dont buy any until i look. theres a big pile of it next door. 1/4 would be just fine to use. i might have some of that darker tinted stuff also. if i do i will bring it to the meeting, unless you need it sooner. i'll look after i get home from school this morning.

boviac
09/05/2007, 11:24 AM
Great. Unfortuantely I already told them (Glass shop) to cut it and I'd be by this evening to pick it up. Nonetheless, I'd like some of your 'side' inventory to practice on or use if I screw up. $23 isn't too bad knowing that the glass hasn't been under any addtional unknown stress. Let me know if you have anything in the 2' long area. Thanks in advance.

mikekman
09/10/2007, 12:40 AM
Chris, whats the progress on the tank?

boviac
09/11/2007, 11:56 PM
It still sits with water and holding. Was going to try to put some vinegar in it to soak the underside of the cross brace with much hard staining but didn't get around to it tonight. Thanks for the interest.

kinghokus420
09/14/2007, 10:50 AM
do you still need some glass? i will bring it tonight if you do.

boviac
09/14/2007, 11:19 AM
Yes, I could use some to practice on. Thanks for asking. Please do bring some.

boviac
09/14/2007, 11:25 AM
Ok so I have an update.

I took my shop light - two 500W halogen bulbs that produce a LOT of heat. I directed them over the full tank and voala- scratches galore!!!! Eckkk! :eek: Plus the visibility through the 1/2" glass was less than desirable and the green hue was distinct. Bummer.

So now I don't know what I'm going to do. I have a few other options that I'm considering to replace this tank with other used ones. Especially since this one is so heavy and we still rent.

Anyone interested in a 6' long ~110g glass sump? :eek2: :eek1:

Nah, kidding... sort of...

missyshrout
09/14/2007, 02:38 PM
Dan says that you can buff out the scratches?

boviac
09/14/2007, 04:44 PM
Thanks Melissa,

Scratch removal? - Yes, but over a six foot span - not worth my time. Some appear to be pretty deep while others I know could be buffed out with only minor effort.

Plus, it is 1/2" thick - overbuilt, not a full 125 gallon, missing its bottom brace, has two chips total along the edges (but does not appear to affect the structure or ability to hold water), has a huge 18" wide, 1/2" thick centerbrace that has lots of hard scale that I still haven't been able to remove (thus reducing the effective output from the middle of three lights), and due to the thickness, the green hue is a bit much for my preference.

Ok, so now if I haven't really ruined it for others, I'm seriously considering letting this one go.

kinghokus420
09/14/2007, 04:52 PM
if i had a way to plumb it into the garage, i would be all over it. but, the elevations wont work for the flow i want.

shelbiesdaddy
09/14/2007, 05:01 PM
Other than the missing brace and possibly the green hue the rest can be corrected with lots and lots of time, and of course some money too.

If you're looking at getting something up in running within a year this is probably not the project then.

boviac
09/14/2007, 05:25 PM
kinghokus420 - Yup, your garage is a ways away from your tank. But horizontal flow loss is not nearly as bad as vertical flow/pressure loss. I don't know what flows you want but I imagine a Reef Dart at 2800 gph at 4' head loss (BTW what I plan to use for my sole tank pump), you might be in there.

shelbiesdaddy - I hear yah... I don't mind the work but in the end... is it worth it when I could get a brand new tank for $400+. I do love the hobby and specifically the build process but intense manual labor on a tank that I've already lost favor with... no, thank you.

I do want to get this up by the end of the year so time is ticking. Plus it doesn't really go well with the rest of my garage furniture ;)so I need to do something with it sooner or later.

kinghokus420
09/15/2007, 05:13 PM
i just realized that you were an engineer.... hmm.
ok well i want to have my tank drain normally, ie no pumps on the drain(it was suggested)
i have 36 inches to the floor in the livingroom and another 12" to the garage floor. so i want to go under the house with the plumbing. approx 46" with joists and such. then approx 40' horiz into the garage which puts my plumbing damn close to ground level. then back up approx 30" to the sump. so i would be at 18"ish below the drains 40' away relying on nothing but head pressure to flow to the garage. pumping it back wont be a problem just flowing enough from the tank to keep up with the return pump

boviac
09/15/2007, 06:33 PM
That's no problem. Just oversize your horizontal drain and put it at even a slight downward slope and it will drain no problem. Even if it isn't oversized... you'll find that as long as it's an open end, the water will be pulled out towards the final outlet. Water always wants to find it's lowest level.

I'm not sure I fully understand what you're saying but I'd be happy to come up sometime to see if we can make it work.

The only problem I can see if the return pump shuts off or power outage. You'd need quite a bit of sump room for all that water in the pipes to flow back into. Easy enough to calc out. Plus I was wrong its closer to 120 gal actually. So in reality you have pleanty of real estate in that beast to hold pipe return water.

Also, my wife is of the opinion right now that we may one day be able to use it as a sump ourselves (i.e. own house, special tank room and sump/equipment room) :rolleye1: - sorry someday is just too far out in the cloudy future for me. I'd rather get rid of this six foot beast and be able to gain some of my coveted garage space back. :lol: :D