PDA

View Full Version : ordering a box of live rock... won't use it all...

victorology
10/09/2002, 09:19 PM
hi. i'm ordering a 45 pound box of live rock from flying fish express on monday. it should get here next wednesday. anyways, it's for a 20 high tank so i plan on using only about 25 to 30 pounds of the rock so if anyone is interested, i should have about 15 - 20 pounds of fiji live rock left... anyways, just make me an offer... i'm not looking for much because i'm just looking to recoup some of my costs...

also, i might have an extra bag of southdown playsand in case you're interested... i live in urbana and you would have to come pick it up at my place because i don't own a car...

victor

hcs3
10/09/2002, 09:31 PM
victor

i highly recommend that you do not order from FFE for a couple reasons.

first, the rock they ship is not impressive. i have ordered fiji LR from them in the past. i recieved several round, solid rocks with no cosmetic features at all (caves, crevices, cracks, etc.). just plain old round rocks.

second, the upcoming CIMA roadtrip will take you to HA, where they usually have 2 tons or more of LR on hand. best part is you can pick through the rock and hand pick your pieces. this way, you get to find some very interesting shaped rocks with decent life on it. also, you would only need to purchase what you can use. another bonus is the rock will be fully cured and you will experience no die off, unlike the FFE rock which will have loads of die-off after 2 days in the mail.

HTH

henry

w2
10/09/2002, 10:12 PM
100% agree with Henry on this one. The only way to go is hand picking your rock. I got several pounds of rock from HA about a year ago and it's the best stuff I have in my 55. Plus, your gonna save a small fortune on shipping. As an added plus, you get to hang out with the CIMA reef geeks for a day! I'd say that alone is worth it!:D

Hope ya join in with us....

epon
10/16/2002, 11:46 AM
that makes 3 100% agrees.....
The experience of seeing HA and their system is worth it even if you couldn't hand pick rock. Joy and JT are great (no matter what anyone says about JT :P ), very helpful and great stock.

Plus if you went you could see their 19" giga clam.
In a word - WOW !
hehe :)