PDA

View Full Version : Good Idea or Bad Idea?

El Jefe9830
08/29/2007, 03:23 PM
Ok since I am fairly new to this, thought I would put my ideas out here, and see what you all think.

As you know, I just got the 300 gallon acrylic tank, and I am thinking that I will run a Berlin Sump with a 300 gallon rated refugium. Based on a good suggestion, I will stabilize the two between each other, and then probably have a large pump pull from both and split into the two returns I have in the tank.

I am open to criticism about this, as well as ideas. Thanks for the help.
Corban

usemore
08/31/2007, 12:19 AM
Its allways better to have a slower flow through your sump (3 to 5 times) and fuge, and have the main flow through your tank provided by a closed loop, or lots of powerheads

El Jefe9830
08/31/2007, 10:05 AM
Cool Thanks for the help.

Here is what I am thinking for a sump/refugium. I am thinking about doing one large tank, and here is a diagram of what I am thinking. Please Tell me what you think.

http://www.notoriousonline.net/Refuge1.jpg

usemore
08/31/2007, 12:24 PM
looks good skimmer chaimber may need to be a little bigger depending on the skimmer you choose.

El Jefe9830
08/31/2007, 03:36 PM
Check out the picture again, and see what you think. I changed it around a bit based on some suggestions in the filtration forum.

I got rid of the first baffle, and made the return bigger. Also, only two baffles after the refugium.

Let me know if you think this good.

usemore
08/31/2007, 07:01 PM
:thumbsup:

usemore
08/31/2007, 07:53 PM
i dont think you wil need the second sponge filter
it will also keep pods from traveling to your display via the return pump.

GreenUku
08/31/2007, 10:34 PM
How will you clean the sponge filter in the first set of baffles?

El Jefe9830
08/31/2007, 11:27 PM
Thank you very much for all the suggestions and help. I have been posting all day in the Filtration forum, and getting some really great ideas from everyone there and here. I have more technologically advanced drawing now. Let me know what you think of this design, please.

http://www.notoriousonline.net/Refuge2.jpg

GreenUku
09/01/2007, 12:22 AM
What skimmer are you going to use?

If you don't have it yet, you might want to wait until you actually have it on hand before making any cuts or putting anything together, just so you can be 100% sure on the dimensions.

El Jefe9830
09/02/2007, 10:30 PM
Yeah I understand what you mean. I am ordering the skimmer Tuesday after the holiday. Some people recommended that I not have all the water flow through the Fuge, so check this out and see what you think. Let me know, please.

Thanks again for all the help.

http://www.notoriousonline.net/Refuge3.JPG

El Jefe9830
09/04/2007, 12:21 AM
OK might be getting away from the single 6' sump, and trying a skimmer sump and Fuge sump seperate.

Let me know what you think of this, please.....

http://www.notoriousonline.net/Refuge4.JPG

GreenUku
09/04/2007, 12:46 PM
What is the valve next to the return pump supposed to do?

El Jefe9830
09/04/2007, 03:50 PM
Nothing, that was how I thought I would control the flow through the Fuge, but then I realized, I did that before the fuge, and just never took it off.

It was late last night when I was designing it. LOL

BTW, I am getting fairly confused to what is good and bad now because everyone has different ideas in the lighting/filtration forum.

I think I need to go somewhere, and work with them to help me design it.

Which do you recommend? One big sump or seperate Fuge and Skimmer?

wintercool97
09/04/2007, 09:10 PM
I think having the fuge separate is a great idea. I did it. I thought that my 40 gallon tank would be big enough for all I wanted in the sump but it wasn't. I also liked the idea of an slower flow through the fuge and more going through the sump.

I built and external overflow box and put 2, 1" drains in the bottom. Both have gate valves installed so I can control the flow. I have the fuge drain into the return area of the sump, and am running an ehiem 1262 for return. Its working perfectly. I ran it with test water for over a week and have drained that out and am filling it with RO/DI now. About another week and I can add rock!

Design is the hardest part. But after you have read and read you get a feel for what you want for your set up. Then just do what you think is best. That's all everyone opinion is. Trial and error are the best teachers of all. But with all the reading I know your doing, whatever you decide will probably be fine. Good luck!

El Jefe9830
09/04/2007, 09:13 PM
Thanks man......I am trying hard not to make an expensive mistake.

Did you have your sumps made, buy them, or make them yourself?

wintercool97
09/04/2007, 09:50 PM
I made mine out of an old 40 gallon I had laying around. I just siliconed in baffles. I looked a lot at Meelvs reef for ideas.
For my fuge I used a Rubbermaid container. I would post a pic if I would take the time and figure out how here. Maybe I will do that now, since I am going to order from TBS and wanted to post in the TBS forum.
To bad I'm in Aztec or you could come and take a look!

Winter

El Jefe9830
09/04/2007, 10:43 PM
To get off subject here. You can host your pictures at one of my sites http://foto-genius.com

Then when you want to add a picture to your post, just use the

So the end Product would look like this, but all together on the same line.

URL-for-the-picture-hosted-on-foto-genius.com

El Jefe9830
09/07/2007, 12:13 AM
OK Everyone. I think I am finally getting to a final design for my Sump and Refugium. I am doing seperate tanks that are both 55 gallon acrylic tanks that are 48" long. Check out the pics, and let me know what you think. I tried to incorporate everyone's ideas and come up with the best design.

http://www.notoriousonline.net/Final1.JPG

http://www.notoriousonline.net/Final2.JPG

GreenUku
09/07/2007, 12:19 AM
Are you using two separate return pumps or will these be plumbed together like before?

El Jefe9830
09/07/2007, 08:56 AM
Well, I could use seperate return pumps, but I was planning on using one.

Would it be better to run seperate return pumps?

GreenUku
09/07/2007, 12:45 PM
Now that I think about it, if you have multiple sumps at the same level, they need to be plumbed together. Otherwise, if one pump stopped, but the other(s) didn't, that sump would overflow and the other(s) would end up running dry. Maybe they covered that in the equipment forum.

I personally don't see the benefit of having a separate sump and fuge, unless you have a difficult space restriction, or are doing something like me, which is having an above tank fuge, but a sump that's lower. If you can have one larger sump with the return in the middle, then you avoid the hassle and potential leaks of (multiple) bulkheads to connect the sumps.

El Jefe9830
09/07/2007, 01:44 PM
Yeah you do need to plumb them together. The reason I can't have a middle return is because I can't plumb the return pipe on the side of the tank. I don't have the width in the stand, but I have plenty of room lengthwise. I also like the idea that if I don't like my Refugium set up or Sump, I can change one without affecting the other. In the together sump, If it isn't what I like, I have a huge 6 foot sump that I have to change.

Just some of my thought process there.

Here is what it would look like. Keep in mind that both pipes will be near the bottom of the tanks, but just wanted to show both in the picture.

http://www.notoriousonline.net/Total1.JPG

wintercool97
09/07/2007, 07:13 PM
Looks good to me. I had wondered how you would control the pumps flow but the stabilizer pipe answered my question.

Thanks for the foto-genius.com link. I read the How to post pics on RC article and just had to find a host. Maybe tonight I will work on some pics.

El Jefe9830
09/07/2007, 09:17 PM
Sure thing it is a good site. Let me know if you ever need anything on it or help with anything.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I think it is finally coming together now.

Dangerous Ace
09/10/2007, 09:47 AM
Looks good! This set up is very similar to the way we have the 265/300 FOWLR at Coral Island. If you want, come by sometime and we can take you behind the tank so you can get a better feel for how the plumbing will be set up.

Brian

El Jefe9830
09/10/2007, 12:14 PM
Brian,
Thanks man.

I will come by, and check it out. That would be much appreciated. I wanted to come by this weekend just to look around, but ran out of time.

aquafien
09/21/2007, 11:26 AM
brian that is pretty cool that you you do that for the locals. i would love to check it out also. i've always wondered how the pro's kept such nice tanks

bajabum
09/23/2007, 01:23 AM
Make sure that you include valves so you can isolate your pump, fudge and skimmer sump from each other.