PDA

View Full Version : Copper Line Feeding RO/DI Unit

benjabba
08/27/2007, 12:05 PM
Will this be ok, or should I try to figure something else out?

JetCat USA
08/27/2007, 02:14 PM
it'll be OK as long as you keep the carbon pre filters changed regularly. don't use any copper or brass after the the carbon pre filters.

benjabba
08/27/2007, 05:52 PM
Thanks for your responce. That is what I thought but better safe then sorry.

strayvoltage
08/27/2007, 09:16 PM
I wouldn't do it if i could get around doing it that way. The copper can leach into the water. Not a big deal other than it is going to end up costing you more to keep your filters changed out. Just going to make the unit have to work harder and there is the chance that it may not give you as good of water in the end. JMO

JetCat USA
08/27/2007, 09:22 PM
90% of all modern homes have copper feed lines on the water supply. it doesn't force you to change your filters more often, it's just better if you change them when they need it rather then swapping them every few yrs like some people do.

benjabba
08/28/2007, 08:03 AM
I can do it without connecting it to the copper line but it will make things alot harder for me. Right now the unit is in the garage right next to the sump. I have a laundry sink in the garage and that is where the unit will be hooked up. I can hook it up to the sink directly, but the piping to the sink is copper. So I figured I would just hook the unit unit into an extended copper line with a valve on it. I will try to post some pics tonight.

jmait769
08/28/2007, 10:35 AM
Ben - I think you will be fine with your plan. I have copper lines in my house and have had no issues. I’m curious to know what RO unit you went with?

Jay

benjabba
08/28/2007, 01:11 PM
I went with the Captive Purity 75 GPD RO/DI Pro RO/DI Filter System. I got it several months back but since I have been out of town alot I am just now getting around to setting it up. I can't remember what I paid for it but I am pretty sure it was cheaper then what it is being sold for now. You can check it out at http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~CP1343.html

Ben

jmait769
08/28/2007, 02:21 PM
Yep, that is a nice one! I wish I had researched a little more at the beginning and read RC before I purchased mine. Live and learn! :)

Jay

benjabba
08/28/2007, 02:42 PM
I still need to go and pick up the brass adapter and coupling to connect the unit and I need to get a storage container but my days of toteing around 5 gallon jugs of water are over. I am also curious to see if my water will be an improvemnt over the ro/di i have been using. My phosphates are low and I still have algae problems so I hope it is a silicate problem that is fixed by the new unit.

Ben