PDA

View Full Version : Got a Tank....Need a stand and hood

El Jefe9830
08/27/2007, 11:57 AM
Ok, I finally got a tank. Something a little bigger than what I was looking for (10x2x2, I thought it was 300 Gallons, but the guys at Coral Island let me know that is actually a 265), but I am very happy with it, and really gives me good room to grow into the tank. I have a bit of a different outlook on how to set up the tank so the extra size will really come in handy.

Anyways, I have a stand that the tank came with, but it is a very DIY stand, and I would like to get something made that is more functional.

Maybe you guys can recommend someone to make a stand and hood for the tank? I have called the guys that made the cabinets in my kitchen, and they have never done an aquarium stand and hood, but think that they can. He is going to come by one night this week to look at what I have, and give me a price.

If you have a name or a number of someone who can do this, let me know. Not looking to break the bank on the stand and hood, but needs to look good and be very functional for the area where the tank is going to be.

Thanks for any help.
Corban

usemore
08/27/2007, 08:55 PM
120 x 24 x 24 = 299.2 gallons so your tank is a 300

if you want to DYI a stand try this

http://www.garf.org/tank/buildstand.asp

if not Rob at southwest reef can custom make them

El Jefe9830
08/27/2007, 09:58 PM
Thanks.....I did hear that Rob did them, but he seems really busy.

I will talk to him this weekend when I go over there. Thanks man.

I did start to make my own one, but not really the woodworking guru. I thought maybe if I got a reasonable price for a good one, I would go that route.

usemore
08/28/2007, 04:54 PM
The problem is that your tank is not a very common size, finding a stand will be difficult, custom or dyi may be your only options.
if you can build the frame work you can have a cabinet shop skin the front and sides, (prob your best bet if you already have a dyi stand).

El Jefe9830
08/28/2007, 05:36 PM
Yeah I am beginning to see that. I just want it to look decent, that is my problem. I would like the doors and everything to work well, and look good. I have actually started to make some changes to the DIY stand, and make it more like what I am looking for.

I think the guys that did my kitchen cabinets will be able to make it look good for a decent price, and then I will talk to them about a hood.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

usemore
08/28/2007, 05:37 PM
no prob

israelnajar
08/28/2007, 10:53 PM
You dont have to be great at woodworking to make a stand. I didnt know anything about making my own stand. It came out pretty good.

This is before I stained it.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q187/israelnajar/DIY%20Reef/1138489852_l.jpg

And after

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q187/israelnajar/Reef/DSCF3427.jpg

El Jefe9830
08/28/2007, 11:23 PM
Alright thanks man. You gave me the confidence. Your set up looks great. Good work.

I actually did a bunch of work on the stand tonight, and I think it is coming along very well. I really stengthened it up, and made it more sturdy. Got all the braces in, and a pretty good how I want the doors to look.

Thanks for the confidence. I will post some pics of it in progress, and the end product of the stand.

The hood will be the next tough planning, but I am thinking that I will do that myself also because that is the only way I can get it just how I want it.

Thanks again guys.