camb
10/07/2002, 09:56 PM
hey what is the best way to propagate xina cam

camb
10/08/2002, 11:52 PM
any one put there

griss
10/15/2002, 10:34 AM
There are several ways to propogate Xenia. One is to place rocks next to the colony and they will eventually spread to the rock.

Another way is to cut a stalk with sharp scissors. Then attach the cutting to a rock using a loose rubberband or toothpick. Others have stuck a toothpick through the stalk and jammed the toothpick into a crevice in the rock until the Xenia attached to the rock.

I have also stuck the cutting into Halimeda macroalgea until it attaches, then break off the halimeda (with the cutting) and super glue the Halimeda to the rock, the Xenia will eventually attach.

HTH,

Griss

Brimarbio
10/15/2002, 02:41 PM
If you get a good healthy mother colony (several shoots off the main stock) and the tank is healthy, it'll grow all over anything it touches. I've got a few clumps of it that will grow over anything it touches within a few days, it's very frustrating...
Brian

camb
10/17/2002, 04:02 PM
yea my mother colony is very very healthy thats why im trimmin it up and selling the frags
cam

nickrosenthal
10/20/2002, 09:31 PM
man... I frag xenia all of the time. I think I have the best way. Don't use scissors because they shrink up and don't get a clean cut. Use a razor blade, cut a stalk off, cut half of a water bottle off and use the bottom, fill a little bit with sand to weight down the bottle, put a small piece of live rock on the bottom of the bottle, then place the frag in the bottom of the bottle, and the xenia should attatch in a couple days, and just place on the bottom of the sand!

nickrosenthal
10/20/2002, 09:31 PM
man... I frag xenia all of the time. I think I have the best way. Don't use scissors because they shrink up and don't get a clean cut. Use a razor blade, cut a stalk off, cut half of a water bottle off and use the bottom, fill a little bit with sand to weight down the bottle, put a small piece of live rock on the bottom of the bottle, then place the frag in the bottom of the bottle, the xenia should attatch in a couple days, and just place on the bottom of the sand!