PDA

View Full Version : Let the work begin

strayvoltage
08/22/2007, 12:44 AM
I bought that big tank in El Paso. I have got to have rocks in my head for doing it.
This thing is a monster, 84"LX 18"DX 28"T. I have a lot of work ahead of me, just imagine how fun it is gonna be. LOL

Oh man I have it all figured out now. Throw a big party, invite all of you and then get everybody to help. LOL

I can hardly wait to get it going. I will have to take my 125 down, tear out the stand, build a new stand then set it all up and stock it all. I will be using a 55 gal that I have for the sump/fuge.

Not to self. Don't read post when it says big tank in El Paso, it ends up being work. LOL

FOSELONE
08/22/2007, 01:41 AM
sweet...good luck...

consuelo
08/22/2007, 07:02 AM
hheee hheee, better you than me, the 125 broke mine and hubbies back, and the 48" high stand-kid hasn't come back for it yet!! Takes 4 people! So was Darren as nice as he appeared in his emails? Glad you could help him out-deploying has to be so hard on everyone, especially those without someone at home to 'hold down the fort.' Got pics? Did he have any extras with it? I honestly can't remember, its been several months since I replied.. BTW, Sam convinced me to get rid of my behomoth skimmer..I have an email into premium aquatics to see if they will take it back..

Good luck!!

ps I thought of the tank building bee, but everyone would have to drive so far!!

killingseed
08/22/2007, 08:22 AM
sound like a nice 180! if you need any help just pm.

benjabba
08/22/2007, 08:29 AM
A tank building party sounds like a good idea. I wish I would have tried the same thing while setting up my 110.

Ben

jmait769
08/22/2007, 09:30 AM
Wow. That is a long tank. Pictures!!! I’m also up for a drive to Deming so let me know if you need any help.

Jay

consuelo
08/22/2007, 09:40 AM
So, Premium Aquatics said without the original packaging, I am stuck with a giant skimmer....say- you wouldn't want to work out a swap of some kind?? Its Euro-Reef 250, 48" tall, paid $478 for it........

Salty Sam
08/22/2007, 12:52 PM
It hurts me just thinking about tearing down your 125.

Bury1
08/22/2007, 02:43 PM
Are you selling your 125 gal and stand?

strayvoltage
08/22/2007, 08:31 PM
First off let me correct the size of the tank. It is 84L 28T 20D the math comes up to 203

consuelo, yes Darren is a very nice polite young man just as nice in person as he was in email and on phone. The skimmer I can not say right now but I ill keep it in mind.

Bury1 I don't know yet what I will do with the 125, but will keep you in mind if I get rid of it

Thanks to all for the replies

FOSELONE, thank you.

Jay and John thanks for the offer I will keep that in mind and might take you guys up on it. I don't have any pics yet, don't even have the tank home yet but will pick it up mid week next week. I will take pics of the tear down of the tank and stand as well as pics of the new stand build and tank set up

Sam it kills me to think of taking down the 120, I wouldn't if I had room I would set this one up and stock it. But I think the bigger tank will be as nice if not nicer

reeftexas
08/22/2007, 10:35 PM
strayvoltage-Well John it looks like you and I will keep Sam is business for a while.But thats what us reef freaks going,always wanting bigger and better and more pretty corals.Good luck with your new set-up.By the way were are you getting this monster from??Talk later Jeff

strayvoltage
08/23/2007, 01:19 AM
Jeff, I think this will be my last upgrade when it comes to big tank, but then again it may not be. Always have to have bigger and better seems like. The tank is there in El Paso.

I have been reading and drawing for a couple of hrs now figuring out how I am going to convert a oceanic 55 that i have into the sump/fuge. I think I have it all figured out now.

Oh heck I could always build the stand tall enough to just toss the 125 under there for the sump/fuge.
Oh here I go again wanting bigger LOL

I think @ 200gal for the display and about 30 gal in the 55 gal sump I should have plenty of water.

reeftexas
08/23/2007, 11:01 PM
I agree.Plenty of liquid.Have fun.By the way are you going to try to save most of your water? Or will there be too much time in between the change over.I was able to save about 40 gal. before my switch over to the 125 gal.I was even saving my water changes.So when I switched the tanks and put in the saved water I didn't have any problems at all with all my inverts and other critters.Keep us all informed on your BIG project.Talk later
Jeff

strayvoltage
08/23/2007, 11:38 PM
Jeff, I will be trying to save as much of the water as I can. I hope to only lose around 10 to 20 gallons. I have to use the water in some kind of containers to keep all my corals and rock in, as well as my fish. I will put the fish in one the corals in another and all the rock in another. I plan on having flow and light for all of it, so I dont see any problem with having the water going bad or anytrhing.

Another option I am thinking about is tearing it all down the set it right back up in another room. I think I can leave the sand in the tank and still move it with everything else out of it. This way I can keep it going and take more time to not have to rush the project.

My stand is not like most. It is built in, so this means a lot of work to take it all apart then start the new stand build. This can all be done in about six hours or so. I will start turning the 55 into the sump/fuge this Sunday. That way it will already be made and that wont hold things up.

I think if I set the 125 back up in another room I will be able to tear it all apart and move everythjing the same day. I don't think I am going to have a problem with my sand because most of it gets hydro cleaned every week when the water change is done. There are three spots under the three caves that deosn't get cleaned but I think if I take everything out in the right order I can hydro clean them spots before sand being moved over. Let the tank settle then restock it. This is kind of how I am thinking it will go. But who knows.

The 55 is going to be made into three sections. The center will be 24" with 12" on each end. I am going to make the center the return section, the right side the fuge section and the left the section that the drain will flow into with the skimmer in it. There will also be flow from the tank drain going directly into the fuge section but with less gph. The left skimmer section will go through the bubble trap into the return and the fuge will flow over a devider with notches cut in the top, the notches should prevent snails fron going into the fuge.

reeftexas
08/27/2007, 05:15 PM
Sounds like you have a good plan.You should'nt have any problems.

strayvoltage
08/28/2007, 11:07 PM
Well I pick the tank up Wed. evening. I Hope it makes the 110 mile ride with no problems. It would really suck to get it home cracked or broken.

I plan on making a new thread from the start to the finish. Key word being "Plan".