PDA

View Full Version : Lineatus Tang?

Buddy&Jules
10/06/2002, 03:22 PM
Is anyone familiar with a Lineatus Tang? :confused: We were at Saltwater Reef and they had gotten one of these fish in. The owner said that he had never had one before. We were really interested and almost bought the fish, but we had never heard of it. Can anyone give us any information on this fish? Is it the same as a Soho Tang?

Mr Neutron
10/06/2002, 03:56 PM
Acanthurus lineatus aka clown surgeonfish. Similar in pattern to sohol tang but some major differences. These guys get big and need a large tank at least 180g in size. They are also one of the most aggressive surgeons and not recommended to keep with other tang species, OR any fish that has similar shape and diet. Pretty fish but not one you can just buy and add without lots of consideration.

Sir Knight
10/06/2002, 05:04 PM
I agree with Chad.
I had one in a 180 gal tank. After about six months the 180 gal was to small for this fish and any other of my fish. This is one of those fish that is best left in the wild or it should be housed in a tank of at least 300 + gallons.

What size tank do you have and what fish do you currently have in the tank.

Joe W.

Buddy&Jules
10/06/2002, 06:49 PM
Right now we have a 30 gallon tank with a Clark clown, Scooter Blenny, Splendid Basslet Dottyback, some crabs, & snails. Miscellaneous soft & hard corals...Looking to get something a bit out of the ordinary to add to the tank...

Sir Knight
10/06/2002, 07:28 PM
Hi Buddy & Jules,
Based on the size of your tank and the fish you currently have I would not recommend adding any more fish.

None of the tangs would be happy in that size tank unless you are planning on a larger tank in about 3 - 6 months. If you are going to buy a 75+ gallon tank in the near future I would recommend a Yellow, convict or purple tang. The Purple being the more aggressive. For now just enjoy the fish and inverts you have. Remember a lightly stocked tank is a lot more stable then a overstocked tank

Joe W.

Buddy&Jules
10/06/2002, 10:12 PM
Well, thanks for the info. As I'm sure you can tell, we are still new at this hobby. I believe we met you at the last reef club meeting. Thanks again!
Julie:)