PDA

View Full Version : What do we want to get out of the Club?

Mattewell
08/14/2007, 10:00 AM
Like we talked about at the meeting, Lets write down all our wants for this club so we can get some organization to this.

My wants:

I want to be able to swap/ buy frags from people
I want help with design/building parts for my tanks (refuguim, sump, drill tank, acrylic protein skimmer)
I want us to work on a on-going project of some kind.

moonyguy
08/14/2007, 10:06 AM
Matt, Great thread here are my aspirations.

1. I want to setup a frag tank so I can frag and trade/sell with other club members or take to DFS frag swap next year.

2. I want to learn how to work with Acrylic so I can build simple things.

michaeltwana
08/14/2007, 12:50 PM
Hello all...though I have not been able to make any meetings, vacation and so on, I think these are right on track. I would like to see a frag tank set-up somehwere that we could take and add to so that we could share and spread the love that way...

moonyguy
08/14/2007, 04:42 PM
Mike. You were missed. Hope you can make it to the next one in Grand Forks next month.
Vishnu

tarax
08/14/2007, 09:50 PM
1. I would like to gain more knowledge from experienced reefers within the organization.
2. I would like to set our organization as the standard in our communities for knowledgable resource that can be sought out for our expertise. I would like for us to offer training to any pet store employee that works with fish so they aren't so flipping stupid. (I know this isn't politically correct, but then neither am I).
3. I would like to learn more DIY types of things. (this can be in every area - as what I know how to do may not always be the best way)

There are more but those are the top 3..

michaeltwana
08/15/2007, 08:06 AM
Vish

Probably won't be making the next one either....my sundays are filling up fast...when is it??

michael

moonyguy
08/15/2007, 09:52 AM
I am thinking either the 16th or the 23rd of September. Do you have either of them open?
Vishnu

Mr James
08/16/2007, 12:09 PM
1. I think we should use this forum for our means of communication. It would do a couple things for us.
a. No cost to us
b. free advertising - new members do a search on RC and find they have a reef club in their own backyard.
c. nobody has to maintain a website - unless you are rich and bored
d. we can utilize others who aren';t necessariuly in the club, for answers to our questions and such.

2. I don't belive in club dues, unless we got huge.

3. DIY projects would be cool. But we have to plan ahead instead of showing up that day ready to do it.
a. For example, DIY liverock. We would need to order alkl of the materials ahead of time and then assemble the day of.

4. Field Trips!! I want to go with you guys next year to the DFS event.

5. I would hope that we could get some club discounts from LFS's in the tri city area. Tri city = Fargo, Grand Forks and little ole Thief River Falls, MN.

michaeltwana
08/17/2007, 12:10 PM
Oh yeah, and group buys--way cheaper than making trips to cities and other locations...we have a pretty big group of people in fargo who I work with in this aspect. Cuts shipping down to a couple bucks for each person...

just MO

michael

icereefer
08/18/2007, 08:28 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10566349#post10566349 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mr James
1. I think we should use this forum for our means of communication. It would do a couple things for us.
a. No cost to us
b. free advertising - new members do a search on RC and find they have a reef club in their own backyard.
c. nobody has to maintain a website - unless you are rich and bored
d. we can utilize others who aren';t necessariuly in the club, for answers to our questions and such.

2. I don't belive in club dues, unless we got huge.

3. DIY projects would be cool. But we have to plan ahead instead of showing up that day ready to do it.
a. For example, DIY liverock. We would need to order alkl of the materials ahead of time and then assemble the day of.

4. Field Trips!! I want to go with you guys next year to the DFS event.

5. I would hope that we could get some club discounts from LFS's in the tri city area. Tri city = Fargo, Grand Forks and little ole Thief River Falls, MN.

Well I'm Neither Rich or bored, But I am willing to have a section on my Forum I'm trying to build up for use hobbyist, where we have freedom of speech, able to share other forum links with usable information, I'm slowly going to bind wiki into the forum that will slowly generate Information on Key words memebers use.
members and club members could proudly display there Avatars and signature, which I will make Free for club members.

JMO: My main goal for the club, is to Not worry about what I want but is to help generate New hobbyist to our community, and give them a place to come to, to share Idea's, frag trading, equipment advice, sharing each others experience, outing's, Hand on help close in our area, so you don't have to wait for someone to reply to ones post. most of use are a phone call away.
do work shops, and plainly help our local reefers and aquatic hobbyist, thrieve in this field and keep them interested in this field so our kids can enjoy this hobby to some day.
myself I know it came close for me to walk away from this hobby living in this area, because of the wide spread ,Poor Knowledge of most LFS here. I know My Knowledge is only a seed on the tree of knowledge but I'm willing to help my local hobbyist not go threw some of the mistakes we've all gone threw.
Jim

moonyguy
08/18/2007, 12:19 PM
Well said Jim. I think its a great idea to start with a webpage on your server with the club information. I spoke to Andy at Stonegate this week and he said he is open to giving out flyers and working with the club. He did mention that you had already told about the club to him...which is good. Helping out new hobbyist is a great idea. I wish I had a lot of help when I started....

Mattewell
08/18/2007, 02:46 PM
Excellent points Jim, I agree with you. I spoke with Tony from the LFS in Fargo here and he will be ordering new equipment for his tanks. I asked if we could assist him if our reef club wanted to do a project. He was receptive to the idea. I don't know if that is something everyone would want to get involved with.

Mr James
08/18/2007, 03:25 PM
by moonyguy
Helping out new hobbyist is a great idea. I wish I had a lot of help when I started....

But how do we get the new hobbyists?? Moonguy, where did you first hear about reef tanks and where did you meet all of these people?? Here on Reef Central, correct?? That's all I am saying. With RC being one of the biggest saltwater forums out there, picking up new members will be easy. And, we could advertise at LFS's.

icereefer
08/18/2007, 03:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10581819#post10581819 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mr James
But how do we get the new hobbyists?? Moonguy, where did you first hear about reef tanks and where did you meet all of these people?? Here on Reef Central, correct?? That's all I am saying. With RC being one of the biggest saltwater forums out there, picking up new members will be easy. And, we could advertise at LFS's.
I know This is not true for me.

Mr James
08/18/2007, 03:47 PM
I plan to exist here on RC. This is where I will continue with the Red River Valley Reef Club. This is where I will continue to help those with questions and those who live near. RC changed everything for me, that is why I support them.

EDIT: How do we get new members??

moonyguy
08/18/2007, 04:01 PM
I first saw reefs when I worked in Hawaii...I still work there for most of my research....My first tank was built based on information from another forum that caters to nano tanks (dont want to name it ...already got close to getting banned twice here! ) My first reef friend was Icereefer...I found him through another local forum we have for reefers in ND...that thing died....I think before we all fight over this issue lets come to some consensus on things.

1. We need a webpage/website for the club apart from this wonderful forum on RC .

2. RC forum will continue to be used as a general meeting point and for sharing information till we find a more suitable place or if the need arises.

3. Recruiting new members is great. But I have see way too many clubs and organizations run after membership and fail to take care of those who have already joined. So I feel that we should first be nice to each other. Thats the reason for this thread and thats why I brought up this issue at last meeting.

4. Differences in opinion are bound to exist between members here...thats what makes us human. But with my limited experience I have seen that there is more than one way to go about doing this hobby. So please be polite and don't let passion cloud your judgment.

I am deciding about the next meeting here in Grand Forks. We might have a couple of new tank tours ....I might reserve a room at UND to do a presentation on coral reefs and watch a DVD of Blue Planet.

Vishnu

Mr James
08/18/2007, 04:13 PM
by moonyguy
1. We need a webpage/website for the club apart from this wonderful forum on RC .

We do?? Good luck to you guys then. You will find me here on RC.

by moonyguy
3. Recruiting new members is great. But I have see way too many clubs and organizations run after membership and fail to take care of those who have already joined.

By membership, I am not talking about dues and such. I am talking about spreading the word that there are others like us. Reef guys and gals. Besides, do we have to "do" something to "join"??

by moonyguy
So I feel that we should first be nice to each other.

Who is not being nice?? Did I miss something?? We all have ideas of how we want it to go.

I plan to be here on RC and continue to spread the word.

tarax
08/18/2007, 10:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10581633#post10581633 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mattewell
I spoke with Tony from the LFS in Fargo here and he will be ordering new equipment for his tanks. I asked if we could assist him if our reef club wanted to do a project. He was receptive to the idea. I don't know if that is something everyone would want to get involved with.

I have already offered my services to help when he told me what he was planning on doing. I just remind him when I stop by and make sure he hasn't lost my number :) . I'm in to help to the point that if I get enough noticed I'll take a day or two from work to help out.

Tony has been a great help to me personally so I plan on reciprocating no matter what we do as a group.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10581994#post10581994 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by moonyguy
I first saw reefs when I worked in Hawaii...I still work there for most of my research....My first tank was built based on information from another forum that caters to nano tanks (dont want to name it ...already got close to getting banned twice here! ) My first reef friend was Icereefer...I found him through another local forum we have for reefers in ND...that thing died....I think before we all fight over this issue lets come to some consensus on things.

2. RC forum will continue to be used as a general meeting point and for sharing information till we find a more suitable place or if the need arises.

3. Recruiting new members is great. But I have see way too many clubs and organizations run after membership and fail to take care of those who have already joined. So I feel that we should first be nice to each other. Thats the reason for this thread and thats why I brought up this issue at last meeting.

4. Differences in opinion are bound to exist between members here...thats what makes us human. But with my limited experience I have seen that there is more than one way to go about doing this hobby. So please be polite and don't let passion cloud your judgment.

I am deciding about the next meeting here in Grand Forks. We might have a couple of new tank tours ....I might reserve a room at UND to do a presentation on coral reefs and watch a DVD of Blue Planet.

Vishnu

I agree with most of what you have said and will add my own thoughts.

1. Club business should be carried out on a club website. While RC has been very generous offering us this space, this is no place for things of a more business intent.

2. While I don't believe that recruiting new members is the end all beat all, I feel that it is important to try and help those who have a salt water tank and maybe don't surf the net. They probably stop in the shop, but they could be of an older generation that is not computer literate. They may have beautiful tanks, but may want a differing point of view on how to approach something, that is one of the reasons why we should be here. Other wise we are just a couple of guys, viewing each others tanks and trading frags. I would hope there is more to us than that. But if that isn't your cup of tea then don't offer to do those things. Thats the great things about clubs, hopefully they offer a wide and diverse list of activities so many different types of people will get involved.

3. Agreed on dispensation of attitudes. I have read more than one article on someone who has a tank that is over 5+ years old that doesn't skim and their system is thriving. I have seen others that as soon as they quit skimming things started to die, and then those people who have run a skimmer nonstop and feel that running a tank without one is a crime. I have seen posts from people who use regular old tap water and some conditioner and salt and have some of the best looking corals (better than half of the places that sell them)..

James - he wasn't singling you out, what he was stating that is in the course of us getting together please put your passion aside about what you feel is the right way of doing things and realize that there is more than one way to run a tank. That no one way is the right way and please don't get offended etc. et. al. when someone offers a differing opinion. The same can be said for the person offering that opinion, realize that the others position may be just as correct as yours. (I hope I read between the lines and per our conversation last weekend ok Vishnu)

I do think though in some of the information I have seen on the net that it is surface solutions, in that the whole story from the question asker is not being given as well as the person answering the question is not delving into what lies behind the question.

Lastly.. I think the DVD idea is a good one.. I'd personally like to watch it..

icereefer
08/18/2007, 10:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10581633#post10581633 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mattewell
I spoke with Tony from the LFS in Fargo here and he will be ordering new equipment for his tanks. I asked if we could assist him if our reef club wanted to do a project. He was receptive to the idea. I don't know if that is something everyone would want to get involved with.
if I had some advanced notice I could come help , Tony's a good person.

Mr James
08/19/2007, 12:08 AM
Well. Okay. Back to our regularly scheduled show.

michaeltwana
08/19/2007, 07:57 AM
I agree with Ice as far as RC not being very important in shaping what I do or what I have done with my tank....RC is not a good source for much IMHO. It has more bad info than good, more can be gained from each other than here.....

and as far as Tony is concerned, have you seen his tanks lately...he does not have a very good track record as far as I am concerned

Mr James
08/19/2007, 08:15 AM
Is that what Icereefer was saying? It has more bad information than good?? I've NEVER heard that one before. Please tell me where we can find better info than this place??

by michaeltwana
....RC is not a good source for much IMHO. It has more bad info than good, more can be gained from each other than here.....

Are you saying you get more info out of a group of 10 people than a group of 180,000?? What about the Chemistry Forum, and the Lighting, Filtration Forum?? I am very impressed by your comment.

michaeltwana
08/19/2007, 08:43 AM
Maybe Ice wasn't saying that...who cares really. But I did get from his tone that RC was not as important as many make it out to be. That goes for me as well....again maybe I am reading him wrong, but I don't really care.

We learn best from each other IMHO...

you like it here thats great, I don't--and thats fine too.

I don't think that RC has taught me anything near as important than those who have ran reef tanks in our area have.

Vish call me when you have a date set for the meeting, I don't come to RC much anymore.... Set the date and I will try to make it. You can also email me at michaeltwana@yahoo.com

Peace....

michael

michaeltwana
08/19/2007, 08:46 AM
Oh and I agree with the separate website...maybe something that shows North Dakota tanks...setups etc...

Mr James
08/19/2007, 08:47 AM
But Micheal, if you want to help me grow and learn, please tell me where I need to get my source of good information. Is it just from each other or are you referring to another source?? I really would like to know.

tarax
08/19/2007, 09:54 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10585637#post10585637 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by michaeltwana

<snip>

and as far as Tony is concerned, have you seen his tanks lately...he does not have a very good track record as far as I am concerned

Yeah I have seen his tanks and know what is behind it as I have talked with him. When he bought into the central filtration system for his tanks the pumps he got with them were inadequate. What is happening to him would be no different than to any of us that didn't have adequate filtration but on a larger scale.

So he is going to break everything down, clean it all up and replace pumps etc to get his tanks up to snuff. But that costs cash and is trying to get things together now (from my understanding) so he can do just that.. Clean everything up and replace the pumps.

icereefer
08/19/2007, 10:48 AM
Hey what is this a area for Local people to get to know each other and share there thoughts and Idea's maybe help a neighbor out, get to know Reefers in our area, a place to maybe find other people in our area, or every time someone mentions something a place to slame ones Idea or opinions????
this is a Reef club Forum, that RC has provided for members to come and talk about there area clubs, and events,ect. this is why I and others have suggested our own website or what ever. if we want to bump our heads to get this club going we should do that there Not here.
I believe this is not what RC intended for this area.
myself I'm thankful RC has provided an area like this were club's.
can come.
but a club is a group of organized people with the same interests and were far from that. so we shouldn't be using this area for building our grounds.
how will it look to others new to come here if all they see is members banging heads???
out of respect to RC that has been generous to provide this area.. lets keep this area for club events, club memebers that have Items that want to share,trade or sell. meeting times. club opinions or sructure building should be done on a clubs website or at meetings.

Myself Living in this area for over 17 years, I've learned that people in this area are giving and trusting people, who work together to help one go forward,,,,, I'm sorry I'm not seeing this here???

Mr James
08/19/2007, 10:56 AM
Oh my.

icereefer
08/19/2007, 10:56 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10586077#post10586077 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tarax
Yeah I have seen his tanks and know what is behind it as I have talked with him. When he bought into the central filtration system for his tanks the pumps he got with them were inadequate. What is happening to him would be no different than to any of us that didn't have adequate filtration but on a larger scale.

So he is going to break everything down, clean it all up and replace pumps etc to get his tanks up to snuff. But that costs cash and is trying to get things together now (from my understanding) so he can do just that.. Clean everything up and replace the pumps.

this is how we can all help us and others by helping not just club members but anyone willing to provide a healthy environment for the hobby were in as we do this we only grow stronger in experience, community relationship, New Idea's ect, ect.

tarax
08/19/2007, 12:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10586471#post10586471 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by icereefer
this is how we can all help us and others by helping not just club members but anyone willing to provide a healthy environment for the hobby were in as we do this we only grow stronger in experience, community relationship, New Idea's ect, ect.

Exactly..