PDA

View Full Version : Whose coming to the Sept meeting?

mikekman
08/14/2007, 02:17 AM
Alright, whose coming to the Sept meeting?

I should be there unless an emergency, etc.

Anyone else coming? Should be a lot more things going on like sand swap, macro algae swap, frag & equipment swap/sell, election, and a presentation on zoanthids.

micynyorkies
08/14/2007, 09:34 AM
I'll be there! Unless I forget. . .

mikekman
08/14/2007, 09:48 AM
Cindy, let me borrow your yorkies for a few days before the meeting. If you forget to come, I can keep your yorkies. Do you think you will forget?

:D :D

micynyorkies
08/14/2007, 10:01 AM
No, but I won't get any sleep and will be a wreck. :)

boviac
08/14/2007, 11:46 AM
Oh now that I made all that fuss about changing the date - You KNOW I'all be there!!!

kinghokus420
08/14/2007, 01:26 PM
the girls and i will be there too

mikekman
08/14/2007, 03:00 PM
Just so others don't get confused, the Sept meeting IS NOT Sept 7th.

Sept meeting is SEPTEMBER 14!

boviac
08/14/2007, 06:18 PM
Thanks Mike! I appreciate you posting this here.

missyshrout
08/15/2007, 07:18 PM
I am going to be at the Sept meeting and was wondering if maybe Cindy and I could ride together so that we HAVE to make it. I would be happy to drive.

Cindy, just let me know.

micynyorkies
08/15/2007, 09:13 PM
Ha ha! Melissa, sounds like a plan. Two heads are better than one anyway.

mikekman
08/15/2007, 09:22 PM
LOL! How about if give you (Melissa) and Cindy each a dendro polyp if you can make it? LOL j/k:D :D :D :D :D

You two should carpool together. You both should run for being a president and vice president of the club too!

missyshrout
08/15/2007, 09:28 PM
No wait a dendro polyp to just show up would be a GREAT idea. What do you think Cindy?

We deserve it!!!!!!!!!

LOL:p :o :D :D :D

micynyorkies
08/15/2007, 09:55 PM
For a dendro polyp, I'm there!! As an aside, somewhere it was mentioned that the sand we bring shouldn't have flat brown worms. What about these? They are half black and half red with centipede-like legs. I also have really tiny worms that stick out of the sand at feeding time.

http://www.micynyorkies.com/images/worm.jpg

boviac
08/16/2007, 12:02 AM
Most likely bristleworms - search that image on google and you should be able to ID them. I can't really tell by the photo quality.

They are fine.

Brown flat worms are about the size of a pencil tip - 1-2mm. You have to know what your looking at or see them in quanities like the 1/4 of sand granuals you have on the surface.

mikekman
08/16/2007, 12:36 AM
Cindy, those look to be bristleworms. They are not bad as people think, BUT too many of them can look too unsightly, they are pretty ugly.

As for flatworms, here is a pic
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/WormPIX/FlatwormPIX/Flatworm_city.jpg

You do not want those brown flatworms. They are easy to kill if you spot a few, but if you have too many, when they die, they let out a poison that can wipe out your tank.

Not very many things eat it though mandarin gobies have been known to eat them especially the psychadelic mandarin.

There is a type of nudibranch that eats it but its hard to get. Then there is a chemical called Flatworm Exit that can kill them.

If you have these, don't bring sand or macro algae. Let me know if you have them, I can help you out.

Best way to avoid these things is to look at corals you are buying and if there are the brown flatworms, avoid buying the coral, it will save you a lot of headache!

boviac
08/16/2007, 01:24 AM
Yup, easiest way to get them is from introducing some new, non-dipped, not QT item for your tank. If they get bad like that (what I was referring to in my previous post -i.e. in quantities like 1/4 of the sand granduals you have on the surface.) I've heard some people have success continually siponing them out. Thanks for the pic Mike.

micynyorkies
08/16/2007, 09:46 AM
Yikes! Those are worms? I thought they were some type of algae! Well, I won't be bringing much out of my tank until I get rid of them, then!

mikekman
08/16/2007, 09:56 AM
I'm guessing you have those Cindy? They love your halides.......they are photosynthetic and can grow to plague proportions. I'll message you on how to get rid of them.

missyshrout
08/16/2007, 10:43 AM
Ok,

I have a question about the sand. Would it be okay to bring some of my sand from my fish only tank. It is live sand. No worms.

I can't bring anyone sand from the 50 because I have the things in my tank that kill clams. Hubby said they are welks or welts or something like that and I don't want to pass those around.

Of course I could grab some sand from his but since we have been passing rocks back and forth for the sea hare to eat all the hair algae he probably has the same things in his tank now.

Does anyone know if you can get rid of them?

mikekman
08/16/2007, 10:45 AM
For your fish only, do you dose copper? If you dose copper, then no sand because copper is lethal to inverts that many of us have in your reef tanks.

As for whelks, if I recall they are a type of snail? If its a type of snail, pull them off and kill them.

Go to google and type in reefcentral whelk. That will pull up any RC thread or post about whelks. Let us know what you find out.

missyshrout
08/16/2007, 04:11 PM
The fish only tank is not dosed with anything. Just has fish and some sand and a couple of rocks.

And Cindy and I are carpooling so that neither one of us can get out of going to the meeting.

And am I supposed to dose with copper or anything else in the fish only tank?

Another newbie question??

mikekman
08/16/2007, 07:52 PM
Some stores does copper in their fish only to kill parasites, etc. I wouldn't does it at all. Glad to know that your fish only has no copper in it so go on ahead and bring some sand.

Glad you and Cindy can hopefully make it!