PDA

View Full Version : Regional frag swap in Dixon on Sat. Oct. 6

budgetyourself
08/13/2007, 04:45 PM
Hi - It is time to start getting ready for the regional frag swap to be held in Dixon on Saturday Oct. 6. We will be starting promptly at 12:30.

You must be a member of a reef club to be able to participate. You should be able to join a local club the day of the swap.

There will be a Rare category, you will have to bring 2 rare frags to earn one pick. This way, rare corals make it into the general swap. As the time gets closer, rare corals will be determined.

We will be picking in groups, when you arrive you will draw a name tag with a picking group on it. We will be picking Rare, A, B, C, etc. then start back down - C, B, A, Rare.

We will be having a BBQ for the cost of $6.00

If you do not have frags to bring, you can buy in for $15.00 which will go towards the purchase of frags to add to the tables.

We will also be having a raffle of corals.

This only works if we have alot of generous poeple who are willing to frag their corals to share with others. Start fragging now, so your corals get a chance to heal.

Unarce
08/13/2007, 05:46 PM
I'm really looking forward to another gathering at Pam's. If you were lucky enough to attend previous frag swaps at her place, I know you'll want to be there again. If you haven't before, you won't want to miss out.

For those that attended last year's Regional Frag Swap, the format will be mostly similar:)

Please bring your corals:

1) Pre-fragged
Preferably, pre-fragged with enough time to encrust/attach onto something. If the frags you are bringing are fresh cut, please frag the coral the night before to give the frag time to stop sliming and sloughing, and to improve survivability before packing it to bring to the swap.

2) In a plastic container or double bagged
I highly recommend the Rubbermaid TakeAlongs containers and the clear plastic containers sold at BAR meetings. Double bagged LFS bags are fine as well, but please NO ziploc bags.

3) Labeled
Please do your best to label each frag with a Sharpie. Please include the frag’s common name and/or scientific name, brief tank placement description (i.e. low, 250W), and your RC handle.

I also suggest you bring some kind of ice chest/cooler for the corals that you pick during the swap. Blue LED flashlights are also handy for quick decision making.

Pick Order
Each participant will be given a nametag and Letter, which will be the group with whom you’ll pick with.
Corals will be grouped according to type.
Groups will rotate through the picking area with each person picking 1 coral.
Bonus tickets will pick first in each round.
The order of groups picking will go up, then down. For example, if there are 3 groups the order would be:

Bonus, A, B, C…

…C, B, A, Bonus

Bonus, A, B, C…

Bonus round/bonus tickets
Bonus tickets are obtained by bringing 'rare' corals, or by bringing multiple other corals. For each Bonus ticket, you get one pick in a Bonus round which is in place of your normal picking group in that round. If you have multiple bonus tickets, you can only use one in each bonus round. Once you are out of bonus tickets, you will revert to your regular picking group for the next round. If a bonus round has too many people in it, it will be split into two just to make the picking area less frantic.

Here are examples of how the bonus tickets will be distributed:

2 'rare' frags = 1 bonus ticket

12 common frags = 1 bonus ticket

15 common frags = 1 bonus ticket

24 common frags = 2 bonus tickets

15 common frags + 1 rare frag = 1 bonus ticket

12 common frags + 2 rare frags = 2 bonus tickets

4 rare frags = 2 bonus tickets

As Pam mentioned, we'll start a Rare Consideration thread in one of the forums, when we get closer to the event date.

More news to come, so stay tuned;)

boviac
08/14/2007, 12:57 AM
Great Pam & Karl!!!! Thanks for posting the details. Unfortuately, I noticed my friend is getting married at noon that day here in Chico so I won't be able to attend. :mad: :mad: :mad: Darn social life :o

I'll designate someone who I know will be attending to have a member list for us.

I may send down some frags in hopes I can get something out of charity on behalf of whomever goes down.

boviac
08/14/2007, 10:39 PM
Is anybody planning to attend? I'm bumbed as I have a good friend's wedding to attend. So if anybody from our club is planning to go, I need to know.

By the way, I think it is worth it even if you don't have any frags, $15 will buy you more than you can imagine. You might get lucky and end up in the first group and get an awesome first pick.

You'll need at least three frags and they don't want xenia or green star polyp (GSP).

For more information click here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1184009

boviac
08/23/2007, 01:31 AM
^

kinghokus420
08/23/2007, 08:52 AM
maybe is the best i can do.. it sounds good though.. it would make it easier if i had another maybe to split gas with

boviac
08/23/2007, 11:12 AM
I so wish I could go. Great way to take the time to meet other reefers and put a face to their RC handle's. Plus, food, corals and a raffle!!!

BBishop
08/26/2007, 03:44 PM
I'm going and have been to this swap twice before.
boviac, you need to get your friend to reschedule his wedding.
This is a great event, Pam is a great host and has an amazing aquarium worth seeing.

boviac
08/26/2007, 04:29 PM
Oh you have to rub it in... ;) I went to the one in 2004? Or 2005? Don't remember now. It was great!

BBishop
08/27/2007, 09:20 PM
Both, along with several others at ASAP. I'm even thinking about joining BAR so when they have their private swaps I can go.

boviac
08/27/2007, 10:36 PM
Yeah BAR has some Kick - ??? deals and swaps. I need to watch their threads more but between Chico, Redding, MARS, and occasionally NVR & CVR... I feel all RC'd out.

I suppose it helps when you live in an area with a million + people, you have the diversity and numbers to have an amazing reef club and frag swap selection.

boviac
09/12/2007, 01:00 AM
Bump as a reminder before the meeting....

Twisted
09/12/2007, 10:39 AM
Hey Chris, I am still trying to conform with my nieghbor, but if he can go I will be going, and we should have room for two other people if they want to chip in on gas and stuff.
I will know for sure in a couple days.

boviac
09/14/2007, 01:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10760095#post10760095 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Unarce
The thread for 'rares' is now up:

click here (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1206262)