PDA

View Full Version : Info on started a club

Brad Gardner
10/04/2002, 08:32 AM
Here is good info on staring a club that was discussed in another thread. I am putting here so I do not forget about this great info:

Brad,

There is some good introductory infromation on starting a new club at the MASNA website. There's also information on setting up tax-exempt status, etc. there.

http://www.masna.org/archives/index.htm

Also, feel free to contact any of the members of the MASNA board of directors, many of whom have lots of experience helping people setting up new clubs. They will be happy to help even if your club isn't interested in joining MASNA. I'd be happy to provide introductions to some people that would enjoy helping out.

Just something to consider,

Lee
MASNA, Director of Membership and PR

some more:

Oh Wow..Thanks SciGuy2. This is just what I was looking for. We will certainlly need advice from MASNA and advice from their members.

Also, Is MASNA part of MACNA. I'm a bit confused.

Thanks,

Brad

reponse:

Brad,

MASNA (The Marine Aquarium Societies of North America, Inc.) is a national, non-profit, affiliation of local marine clubs.

MACNA (The Marine Aquarium Conference of North America) is the annual conference that has become so popular.

At one time, MASNA and MACNA were nearly synonymous, with deleterious results to both.

Currently, MASNA only helps with the selection process of which local club will host the MACNA conferences, and provides any assistance that is requested from the elected MACNA host club. MASNA is really only involved with the MACNA as far as it is concerned with maintaining the tradition of successful conferences. Pick a quailified local club and help as requested, is the involvement level that MASNA now provides to MACNA. In my opinion, this is how it should have always been.

Last month, delegates from the MASNA member clubs and the MASNA board of directors chose the Loiusville, KY application to host MACNA XV.

Since MASNA has now divested itself of most of its MACNA responsibilities, it is returning to its original charter of helping local clubs grow and network; providing assistance with the formation of new clubs; and providing a representitive voice for hobbyists in the legislative process.

Hope this helps to clear things up a bit. Thank you for asking the question.

Getting the word out, here at RC, about your interest in forming a local club is an excellent first step!

Thanks also for being willing to promote the hobby by your interest in forming a local club,

more:

Brad,

A good way to start is just to find 3-4 people that share your interest in starting a club and meet for coffee at some centrally located restaurant a couple of times. Become friends and form a nucleus for the club.

When you want to grow the club post handbills at LSFs. See if one of the stores will host the club's meeting and whether the owner will give a talk at some of the meetings.

Then when you need content for the meeting and you can't find anyone to speak try showing a VCR of one of the MACNA sessions. I see that a professional was videotaping the MACNA conference sessions. They were 1-2 hours per session and full of great information. I'm certain that Duane could arrange for someone to sell you copies of the tapes when they are ready. That should be enough technical content for more than a year's worth of meetings.

Hope this helps,

Done