PDA

View Full Version : petland

yashua
08/11/2007, 03:44 PM
hey guys i went in to petland 2 days ago and there fish almost in all cases were double in price compared to nick.blue damsels were 10,chromis were 10,mandarins were 30,blennys were 40.i also seen a coral beauty dead on the bottom some bi colors dead on the intakes.nick also got some really nice frags in and also some xenia pulse corals(i think).i am real new to saltwater so to find the namas is way cool.

Salamander
08/12/2007, 01:51 PM
[welcome]

...and welcome to NAMAS

I assume you live around Flag?

You should come to our next meeting which should be this week.

yashua
08/12/2007, 04:42 PM
i do i live if fernwood out on 89a past the mall.my work schedule is kinda weird,but i would come to the next meeting.when,and where.thanks for the invite.

Doglover_50
08/20/2007, 02:54 PM
One thing that we do (I seem to organize these) is group buys. Specifically, buys from liveaquaria and etropicals. These are excellent companies (of course, there are many others) but they use responsible vendors, prices are half what you see locally, and they have a 2 week warranty on animals.

Also, if you want any soft corals, ESPECIALLY zenia, don't go buying it! These are the kinds of things we all grow and share in the group--xenia, ricordia, mushrooms, kenya tree, etc...

Doglover_50
08/20/2007, 02:57 PM
PS--Nick's reef tanks have flatworms right now (something you do NOT want), so I would avoid buying anything at all from that of tanks until he gets that taken care of. The worms could hitchhike into your tank.

yashua
08/22/2007, 06:46 AM
thanks for the heads up doglover.yeah im going real slow with my set up just some live rock and some chromis in a 55 tall.do want to go reef,just looking and reading and looking and reading,getting knowledge about different methods of success.the tank was originally going to be planted so the light is 192 watts of 10k light(coralife).i know i favor the softies,zoas,sun corals,button polyps etc.im going to get an 50/50.but beyond that just learning the light requirements for the things i like.

Doglover_50
08/24/2007, 01:54 AM
I'm trying to sell my old 70g setup complete, but may have to part out. If so, I have a 250w metal halide pendant (hamilton) that I'll be selling. You can grow anything you like under it. Will keep you posted if you'd be interested.

yashua
08/24/2007, 06:49 AM
whats all in the setup?how much for all?how much if you part it out?i do like my 55 tall but the stand has little room to work with for one and the depth,24 inches will give problems with the lighting.talk to me.

Doglover_50
08/27/2007, 11:58 PM
this tank has room galore! my new 120g is driving me crazy with the braces. This 70g tank has no brace, and inside the stand is completely clear.

here's the ad from frag:

70 gallon system for sale: $500.
It's time to sell my 70 gallon system.

Stand and tank are very high end--would look beautiful in your living room--cherry wood stand and tank has cherry wood veneer on trim, not just black plastic. Link to picture is below.

Tank built in 2004. Other equipment is ~12 months old. Included are: tank and stand (this is a 3' long tank that is deep and tall); Hamilton 250w metal halide pendant ($330. on drs foster and smith online); coralife 125 gallon superskimmer ($130. or more on drs foster and smith); stealth 200w heater ; 4 powerheads; sand for 6" deep sand bed (I believe it is southdown--it is very light and fine, and certainly "south" and "down"). I do have the glass top for the tank. Neither tank or stand have/need center brace--makes it oh so nice and easy to work on tank. All the usual extra goodies will be included--powerstrip, buckets, net, timer, salt, etc...

I have around 50 pounds of very well-established rock. I'll also throw in some starter soft corals (ricordia, mushrooms, buttons, xenia), etc...

The whole kittencaboodle for $500. The only catch--that's with a Flagstaff pickup. Please don't ask about parting out--I'll put out a future post on that if need be in September.

Hopefully this pictures turns out--this was from tank setup last summer.

http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/...nt=IMG_0402.jpg

Thanks,
Doglover

crrichey
09/02/2007, 04:46 PM
I was in nicks store yesterday and there were no visible flatworms. He did say that there had been so I went ahead and dipped the mushrooms I bought and nothing came off. Also bought that awesome blenny that was in with the dottyback.

So far I have been fairly happy with petland. The owner said he could order just about any coral I wanted so.....