PDA

View Full Version : WTB skimmer

pooh1989
08/07/2007, 12:33 PM
I am in need of another skimmer. Anyone have one that they aren't using?

~~Ange

Mr James
08/07/2007, 10:48 PM
Jim, IceReefer, has one I believe. What is wrong with the one you have??

pooh1989
08/08/2007, 07:16 AM
Nothing. I didn't have one on my 35 Hex. But that crashed last night. So now I just don't know what to do.

~~Ange

Mr James
08/08/2007, 11:27 AM
I asked because you said you "need another skimmer". Look in the For Sale Forum. I just picked up an Aqua C Remora for $75. That would work great on your 35 Hex. I am also looking at an MRC MR-1, but there is someone who is in line ahead of me. You really NEED a skimmer on your tank.

What do you mean when you say "it crashed"?? Is everything dead?? What did you have in it?? Can you post some details about the tank and the "crash" itself??

pooh1989
08/08/2007, 12:12 PM
Everything died. It was a FOWLR tank. I posted in the new to hobby board last night. Thought I could get by with just a HOB filter and the live rock. but I was wrong. I drained the tank last night and now just have the rock in bucks of salt water. My other tank is fine and I'm not sure what I'm going to do now.

~~Ange

moonyguy
08/08/2007, 12:26 PM
Ange...Very sorry to hear about your tank crash....we have all been through rough times. My neighbour has a skimmer for sale. I think its a CPR bak pak....they are not the best but if you are looking for something cheap that would work. PM me if you are interested and I will ask her the price and details once I get back to Grand Forks.

Mr James
08/08/2007, 12:26 PM
by pooh1989
...I'm not sure what I'm going to do now.

Pick up the pieces and start again. This time you know what NOT to do. Clean that tank, put the rock back in and get it going again. Or combine the two tanks into a larger tank. The livestock may have died, but the rock is still good. Don't give up. Learn from this mistake and carry on, right??

pooh1989
08/08/2007, 01:39 PM
Yeah I know I probably will. Is the sand reusable? Guess that's my big question now. I need to decide today on what to do. The smell from the tank is grossing me out. Nothing like rotting salt water and no breeze in the house to make ya sick.

Guess part of me is just very happy it wasn't my bigger tank, even though it makes me sick to lose the fish I did have in the tank, but it's not all the corals and stuff.

~~Ange

Turbo5oh
08/08/2007, 02:21 PM
do u know what happened ? chemistry spike? i dont use a skimmer on my 10 gal just weekly water changes. i wouldnt complete brake the system down but i guess it depends what happened if its just water chemistry just do a couple water changes and watch the levels for a bit

im sorry for ur lose but maybe we all can learn something from it

Mattewell
08/08/2007, 03:20 PM
Like turbo said, without a skimmer, water changes are essential. Personally I would never run a saltwater tank without some kind of skimmer.... (Yes i have a crappy seaclone on my frag tank... but its better than nothing) Even a crappy skimmer can keep the dissoved oxygen levels up for your FOWLR tank. If you decide not to run a skimmer, then do frequent small water changes. Dont worry, you can get that tank back up! ;)

tarax
08/08/2007, 08:42 PM
Sorry for your loss..
If you want to restart the tank I have a HOB skimmer that you can have if you want it.. I don't even know what kind, I was given it years ago.. It has a maxijet 1200.. Your welcome to it.

michaeltwana
08/09/2007, 08:48 AM
Though I disagree with a lot that is being said--I have a skimmer you can have. I have had it in storage for ever red sea prism deluxe....thanks

Mr James
08/09/2007, 11:41 AM
by michaeltwana
...Though I disagree with a lot that is being said--

You're not in Russia dude, you can express your opinion without being strung up for it. What do you disagree with?? Should she quit the hobby altogether?? Should she run skimmerless?? Actually, that is what she did and that could have caused the problem. What's on your mind, tell us!!

icereefer
08/11/2007, 08:34 AM
I will say this I ran skimmerless for many years with never any problems , at that time I was even running DSB's I just made sure I did a weekly water change and I kept an awesome sand crew in my tank, I stayed away from pod eaters and bristle worm eaters too, kept lots of spagette worms, mini brittlestars, peanutworms, nass snails, any detritus eating critters. and tried to stay away from putting anything that hunted these critters for food.
and my skimmless tanks always did great.
But I will say this once I dropped using DSB's and went to using skimmers my tanks are a lot more forgiving.
with my skimmer pulling DOC out of my water column and my DSB not having to worry about keeping up with a good crew. life is a lot easier on me...LOL.

PS. and if anyone is looking for a good smaller tank sump skimmer I still have my Like new Urchin skimmer and mag 3 pump for sale.
Jim