PDA

View Full Version : Just got my first horse today

Jane
09/30/2002, 11:28 PM
I have had a 20 gal high set up for almost 1 year with oolitic sand bed, live rock, lots of calerpa, a few hermit crabs and 1 pink anemone. Today I bought a beautiful yellow H reidi. Tonight it is eating pods like crazy and seems very active and happy. (The LPS fed it before I purchased it to show me that it accepts mysis readily).

I have covered the small anemone with a berry basket and will remove it to my 72 gal reef in the morning as I know it is not a good tank mate.

My thoughts were to have this one for a while to make sure that all goes well before I purchased another but from reading many posts i should have probably purchased two.

Should I go in the morning to get another right away? I have noticed is it seems to react to it's reflection in the glass which makes me feel like it is lonely. (It was housed for about 4 months at the LPS with 3 or 4 other red/orange reidi.)

OK now for the embarrassing question. I can not tell if it is male or female. I can not seem to locate a pouch. Does this only show when it is mating?

This will be a species tank with seahorses only.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

10/01/2002, 03:55 PM
Yah... you should probably get another one. Just make sure to get one from the group that you got her from that way you dont have to worry about contaminates cause she's already been in there for four weeks.

As for the pouch, if you can't see one, its probably a she. The girls dont have a pouch. The pouch will always be visible in a male, its a very smooth area of skin and when you have a male and female next to each other it is easy to tell.

Try my website, the orange one is the male and the female is the yellow one, maybe that will help you.

http://www.geocities.com/astrosgirl7

Amanda

Will
10/01/2002, 04:12 PM
I have had a 20 gal high set up for almost 1 year with oolitic sand bed, live rock, lots of calerpa, a few hermit crabs and 1 pink anemone. Today I bought a beautiful yellow H reidi. Tonight it is eating pods like crazy and seems very active and happy. (The LPS fed it before I purchased it to show me that it accepts mysis readily).
the tank setup sounds great accept, of course, the anemone. it will have to be removed promtply if you want your horse to even have a chance.. btw, i've got that same tank size and i love it!

I have covered the small anemone with a berry basket and will remove it to my 72 gal reef in the morning as I know it is not a good tank mate.
whoops, i didn't see that.. sounds like a good plan though. btw, what are the lighting specs on the seahorse tank and the reef tank and how long have you had the anemone? it may not fare well if you're keeping it under incorrect lighting..

My thoughts were to have this one for a while to make sure that all goes well before I purchased another but from reading many posts i should have probably purchased two.

Should I go in the morning to get another right away? I have noticed is it seems to react to it's reflection in the glass which makes me feel like it is lonely. (It was housed for about 4 months at the LPS with 3 or 4 other red/orange reidi.)
yes, i think buying another would be a good idea. you ought to get one as soon as possible. any sex would be appropriate, but since you're beginning you may want to get one of the same sex.

OK now for the embarrassing question. I can not tell if it is male or female. I can not seem to locate a pouch. Does this only show when it is mating?
snap a pic and we can sex it for ya. since you dont see a pouch, it's most likely a girl.. like 123456 said, the pouch is always visible other than in the first few months of life.

This will be a species tank with seahorses only.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
sounds nice! get us some pics and let us know how it goes ;)
fourhand2

Jane
10/01/2002, 09:13 PM
Thanks for your help Amanda and fourhand2 ! The anemone has been transferred to the 72 gal reef. My horse is doing great so far. I will be going back to get another horse in a few days.

I will be buying or borrowing a digital camera soon and will post some picks.