PDA

View Full Version : Wrasse Compatibility

Feeronan
09/30/2002, 02:13 PM
Hello and thanks for your time,

From reading your article it is my understanding that one could keep a M. meleagris and M. bipartitus together provided there was only one male and the aquarium can support them in size and provide ample food.

My question is whether or not a Halichoeres chloropterus could also be added to the mix. I have a rather plump one that has done very well during the two years I have kept it. It seems to mirror behavior and requirements of the Macropharyngodons you mentioned in the article, and I noted that other wrasses "may co-exist" with the Macropharyngodon.

Thank you again in advance for your time.

hcs3
10/01/2002, 09:39 AM
feeroran

i was able to successfully add a halichoeres to my tank that contained macropharyngodon. they co-existed fine for about 6 months.

after that, i noticed my leopard wrasse dissappeared. after 2 weeks i gave up on it and thought it was dead. however, one afternoon i saw my leopard rise from the sandbed, only to get chased around the tank immediately by the halichoeres until it finally dove back into the sandbed.

once i saw that, i immediately removed the halichoeres. the very next day, the leopard reappeared and i didn't have a problem with it since then.

i think it can be done, only if the macropharyngodon is already adjusted. however, i'd watch their intereaction carefully and be prepared to remove the halichoeres is necessary.

HTH

henry

Feeronan
10/01/2002, 11:19 AM
Thank you for your reply. Since the halichoeres will eventually outgrow the macropharyngodon I was wondering if after six months your halichoeres had a distinct size advantage over the macropharyngodon.

What size tank did you have them in?

Do you remember what mix of male/female they were (ie both male)?

Do you think that the aggression would be lessoned if all (the wrasses)or at least the halichoeres was female (mine is) ?

Again thank you for your time.

hcs3
10/02/2002, 01:09 AM
Since the halichoeres will eventually outgrow the macropharyngodon I was wondering if after six months your halichoeres had a distinct size advantage over the macropharyngodon.

the xmas wrasse was larger from the day it entered the tank.

What size tank did you have them in?

75g

Do you remember what mix of male/female they were (ie both male)?

leopard was a female. not sure about the xmas.

Do you think that the aggression would be lessoned if all (the wrasses)or at least the halichoeres was female (mine is) ?

highly dependant on the individual. my xmas was a PITA. not only did it attack the leopard, but it also aggressively attacked my mandarin.

HTH

henry

Feeronan
10/02/2002, 08:10 AM
Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I currently have a Macropharyngodon in quarantine( see attached photo...sorry about quality) and may try it with the Halichoeres chloropterus although it sounds as if this probably is not a good idea. If I do try them together I will let you know if the Green Coris shows the same signs of aggression as the Xmas wrasse you tried (although my green coris does not pick on my Mandarin :) )

Regards,

Gary Majchrzak
10/02/2002, 06:15 PM
That is a great pic, Feeronan!

Feeronan
10/02/2002, 09:31 PM
Thanks...it is a little out of focus and I forgot to turn the flash off but it didn't seem to mind lol

nanoreeF

hcs3
10/02/2002, 10:37 PM
cool. let us know how it goes.

FWIW, my xmas didn't start picking ont he mandrin until after they were together for quite sometime. maybe the wrasse saw the leopard and the dragonette as food competitors,...who knows. but after 6 months or longer of coexisting, the wrasse went psycho on the dragonette. it would make bee-line dashes across the tank and score direct hits upon the dragonette. i had to remove the dragonette within a day or two otherwise it would have been killed. shortly thereafter is when the leopard came up MIA.

nice pick BTW. beautiful little lady :p

henry

Feeronan
11/12/2002, 10:59 AM
I guess I should of payed more attention to the part of your article regarding covering the aquarium. After over 6 weeks of quarantine and being the proud owner of a plump, seemingly well adjusted, eating machine :-) it happened......

Poor little lady jumped. No other tank inhabitants, no idea why she made the leap. Uggggg very disappointed :(

I may try another one as soon as the decimated pod poulation returns(definately a must when trying to ween onto frozen food) but not until I "put a lid on it" (the aquarium).

Thanks for all your help.

Regards,

Feeronan

PS I read your posts on SWF before they were deleted FWIW I think your comments were right on target.

hcs3
11/12/2002, 11:25 AM
sorry to hear about your jumping fish :(

about SWF, what a joke that place is. they sent me email, not even signed by anybody (not even "staff"), this morning asking me to not go there anymore :rolleyes:

whatever.

good luck on finding a new fish.

henry