PDA

View Full Version : I need I.D. on these polyps or zoanthids.

NanoCube-boy
07/31/2007, 04:37 PM
Hi, I just want to know what are these polyps below my Kenya Tree. I think they're zoanthids, :confused: but I want to make sure. I don't really like them, but they came with the tree when I bought it years ago. Any help? :D

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i293/Truelillink/website/DSC01996.gif
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i293/Truelillink/My%20Corals/DSC01590.jpg

mikekman
07/31/2007, 05:27 PM
looks ilke zoos to me! What color are they? They are elongated....probably want more light

NanoCube-boy
07/31/2007, 05:33 PM
They are pink. I heard of pink zoas, but i'm not sure. They stretch out very long now, their stems are long and skinny, is that normal? or they grow like that?

SitBackAndWatch
07/31/2007, 06:30 PM
you would be much better getting an ID in the zoanthid forum.... they kind of look like palys to me. post this in the other forum maybe u will get a better answere that way

NanoCube-boy
07/31/2007, 07:20 PM
i guess so. I don't know any zoanthid forums, but I know other forums.

dkellyrc
07/31/2007, 07:30 PM
They are zoas

NanoCube-boy
07/31/2007, 07:35 PM
oh really? cool. I don't really like them though, but they are on the same rock as my tree. Don't want to get rid of the tree, only the zoanthid.

Hormigaquatica
08/01/2007, 01:37 AM
They are more likely Protopalythoa. Zoanthids dont generally get that large, or develop such a pronounced stalk. Palythoa are almost all very low growing with all but the oral disk embedded in a thick coenenchyme.

NanoCube-boy
08/01/2007, 12:33 PM
Are these palys toxin? I thinking of fragging them, but I don't know how.

gflat65
08/01/2007, 05:53 PM
I'd call them Proto's, too, but they are most likely a Zoanthus sp. Size isn't a determining factor on species, though it can sometimes help indicate. Palythoa sp. take fine grit into their mats, which usually shows as a sandpaper type look (like normal green button polyps-currently called Protopalythoa psammaphila). Zoanthus are more smooth, if you will (and have more see-through stalks, or is that stretching it?). I've seen some that in my tanks (under higher light) were tiny, but the mother colonies had polyps the size of quarters (a bit less light, thought they seemed happy).

That said I think it is likely a Zoanthus sp. Fragging is easy. Chisel them off the rock (break the edge they are on, off). Practice normal common sense hygeine and there is very little liklihood of any issues with toxins. Zoas are very understudied in scientific circles, so very little is actually known about which is toxic and how toxic, etc. With the numbers of people in the US that frag zoas with no actual medically documented cases of palytoxin poisoning, I feel that the numbers are on my side;). Some recommended PPE for fragging are gloves and safety glasses (for squirting, or flying chunks of LPS/SPS).

aquarius77
08/02/2007, 03:16 PM
I would say they are palys... I agree science tells us nothing about palys vs zoos.

gflat65
08/02/2007, 04:34 PM
Well, it gives us a good divider on Zoanthus versus Palythoa (taking fine grit into the coenenchyme or not), but that is as far as most generalizations can go. One of the scientists that helped justify the creation of the species Zoanthus gigantus (People Eater type zoas-green slit mouth, white striping on underside of polyp, etc.) posted a few times a while back in the zoa forum and pointed out the main difference (between Zoanthus and Palythoa species) being the uptake of gritty material into the coenenchyme. He (jreimer) also mentioned that he expects the genus Protopalythoa to eventually be completely absorbed into the Palythoa genus. PE's used to be considered Protopalys (and many still call them that), but they are a Zoanthus sp, regardless of size (DNA tested, mother approved;)).

NanoCube-boy
08/02/2007, 04:47 PM
What if I don't want to chisel the rock, how will i frag them? Some say I can cut the stem off without cutting the polyps, that's might be a good way.

gflat65
08/02/2007, 09:01 PM
Try a thin exacto to try to slice it off. Get as much as possible, or it will likely regrow.

NanoCube-boy
08/03/2007, 12:59 AM
oh ok. You guys know where I can get fragging tools?

gflat65
08/03/2007, 05:26 PM
If you can hunt down WhoDah?, he knows where to get some fragging kits (3 or 4 different sized kits for whatever you need). I'll see if i can find the info, too. For a one time thing, any hobby store and likely a WalMart or something might have something that will work. Any ole razor blade will work. Just be careful of double ended. They give the flex you might want, but bite on both ends.

NanoCube-boy
08/04/2007, 11:27 AM
Oh. I see. If I find out where get some fragging tools, then I'll let you guys know.

robthedarter
08/04/2007, 04:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10459626#post10459626 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NanoCube-boy
Are these palys toxin? I thinking of fragging them, but I don't know how. Hi this site might be of intrest to you
www.zoaid.com regards
rob.

NanoCube-boy
08/04/2007, 05:09 PM
I know that site, but that's zoanthid, it doesn't seem like they talk about Palys much. Still doesn't answer the question. Some people say they are toxin, and some say they are not toxin. I don't really know honestly. I think the nest way like gflat65 say early, chisel the rock about,seem to have a big gap between the two different type of softies, why not right?

NanoCube-boy
08/04/2007, 05:27 PM
Heres a link of fragging tools. http://www.drinstruments.com/xq/ASP.store/cat.29/qx/Aquatic+Tools.htm